Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2024, 01:02 PM

524 posts, read 246,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
This effort seems to be in it's early stages, but some states are eliminating degree requirements for some jobs. Hey, it's a start.

"Through a mix of executive and legislative actions, at least 16 states no longer require a four-year degree for most state jobs. In March 2022, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan announced that the state would become the first state in the country to remove the requirements. According to estimates released at the time of the announcement, more than half of the state's 38,000 positions could substitute relevant experience for a four-year degree. In early 2022, state employment data showed that there were more vacant positions in state government than any time in the previous 14 years. A year later, the same report found a slight decrease in the number of vacant positions.

Governors in at least 10 states, including Alaska, California, Colorado, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia, have followed Maryland and eliminated degree requirements for most state positions. In April, National Governor's Association (NGA) Chair Gov. Phil Murphy (N.J.) and Vice Chair Gov. Spencer Cox (Utah) circulated a letter encouraging governors to consider reevaluating degree requirements for government jobs."

https://www.ncsl.org/education/state...e-requirements
I am seeing that more and more at my workplace, especially when the applicant pool is shallow. They usually ask for a 2:1 equivalent of experience (example: 8 years of experience in lieu of a bachelors degree).
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 02:24 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My college requires all students to take a meal plan with the exception of part-time students.
Hmm. What state? Higher education institutions are required to present housing costs and meal plans separately; they cannot force a student to purchase a meal plan.

Quote:
There are plenty of diploma mills in every field and the top ten education grad schools aren't diploma mills.
Obviously, I wasn’t suggesting elementary-school teachers attend colleges that lack credentialed programs.

Quote:
Saying that, there are a number of low paying professions, like teachers, which require a graduate degree.
Elementary-school teachers need a bachelor’s degree and to complete a teacher certification program. Although they may certainly pursue a graduate degree to build skills/increase their salary and/or transition from another career, they can still land a job in their field if they don’t (and it need not be from a top school in order to benefit, if they do).

However, that is simply not the case relative to law; if students don’t graduate from a top-tier law school, they are far more likely to be amongst the underemployed, per the thread. I’m speaking to accountability and reason regarding debt and one’s choice of college/career; in other words, good debt vs. bad.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:05 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
I'll hand it to you. Probably some people come here for earnest discussion and to hear the other side. I think that's the exception rather than the norm though.
I'm just curious as to why parents send their kids to college to major in fields that have very little market value.

Why would they pay the tuition or take out a student loan?

What is the thinking behind that?

Old 03-26-2024, 12:37 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I'm just curious as to why parents send their kids to college to major in fields that have very little market value.

Why would they pay the tuition or take out a student loan?

What is the thinking behind that?
People have different talents.

I work in IT. I have understand "business IT" well. I have a good bit of programming/engineering knowledge, but I doubt I'd ever be "great" at it. I'm an excellent writer.

I have enough business and IT experience to bridge those gaps, and devise IT solutions to meet a business need. I don't have the technical chops to build complicated software from scratch.

I'm terrible at using my hands - any sort of assembly, trade skills, etc. I'd never be able to make a living as a mechanic. I'm naturally bad at it. Sure, I could improve somewhat, but I'd never have any aptitude for it at all.

Old 03-26-2024, 02:39 PM

45,377 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Hmm. What state? Higher education institutions are required to present housing costs and meal plans separately; they cannot force a student to purchase a meal plan.....
If the student lives in a dorm the meal plan may be charged separately, although it's usually tagged "Room and Board" and is required for those students.

I kept the meal plan when I moved off campus because it was cheaper than cooking. There were fewer options to the plan back then compared to today. You ate at the dining hall with it, nowhere else.

Old 03-26-2024, 03:04 PM

Quote:
My college requires all students to take a meal plan with the exception of part-time students.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If the student lives in a dorm the meal plan may be charged separately, although it's usually tagged "Room and Board" and is required for those students.
The cost of a meal plan is separate from housing. My point is YorktownGal is mistaken; colleges cannot force ‘all students’ to purchase meal plans.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 03-26-2024 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-26-2024, 03:23 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
The cost of a meal plan is separate from housing. My point is YorktownGal is mistaken; colleges cannot force a student to purchase a meal plan.
At many colleges freshman under 21 who are not living at home are required to live in the dorm and purchase a meal plan. Not all colleges but many do.

Old 03-26-2024, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
At many colleges freshman under 21 who are not living at home are required to live in the dorm and purchase a meal plan. Not all colleges but many do.
Some colleges may strongly recommend (or even require) a minimal meal plan for freshmen, particularly relative to old-school (pun intended) dorms which lack kitchenettes, etc; keep in mind there is also a difference between ‘pay as you go’ vs. a plan that is billed upfront (with tuition). However, that’s different than requiring ‘ALL students’ to purchase a meal plan (and typically there are multiple ways to opt out as well).

That said, it’s a convenient/easier/cheaper option for most freshmen anyway; the issue is relative to transparency.

Old 03-27-2024, 08:12 AM

7,341 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
The cost of a meal plan is separate from housing. My point is YorktownGal is mistaken; colleges cannot force ‘all students’ to purchase meal plans.
Quote:
Examples

Quote:
Starting this fall, full-time commuters at Montclair State University will notice a slight increase in their bills.

This higher cost is due to the introduction of a new mandatory dining plan for commuters who are enrolled in at least 12 credit hours with one or more on-campus classes.
https://themontclarion.org/opinion/d...-be-mandatory/

Quote:
All full-time resident and commuter undergraduate students at Pace University are required to have a meal plan. Resident graduate students are also required to have a meal plan. All meal plans are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
https://www.pace.edu/auxiliary-servi...ing/meal-plans

Quote:
Virginia State University - COMMUTER MEAL PLANS
Commuter meal plans are designed to save you money and are valid for one semester. Simply choose a meal plan that will best fit your schedule. You can purchase a meal plan using your financial aid dollars, a credit card, or cash in the Cashier’s office, located in Virginia Hall.
Most colleges have a commuter meal plan covered by financial aid dollars. Some colleges require participation.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 03-27-2024 at 08:26 AM..

Old 03-27-2024, 08:32 AM

7,341 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Elementary-school teachers need a bachelor’s degree and to complete a teacher certification program.
I fixed it for you.

Some states accept a bachelor's degree. Other states require a master's degree. Finally, some states allows newly hired teachers a fixed period of time to complete a masters' degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities