Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2024, 02:06 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
College students need to plan and borrow wisely; there are many ways to navigate/minimize student debt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
This was not the case 15 years ago, and is still barely the case today.
When has it ever not been the case to plan, borrow wisely and take advantage of the ways in which to minimize student debt? In fact, that many don’t (today) speaks to the thread directly as more attend college and borrow sans a clue, particularly relative to competitive fields and/or top-tiered schools that don’t align with their (potential) career goals/salaries to reasonably support such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 03:43 PM

1,075 posts, read 552,765 times
Quote:
When has it ever not been the case to plan, borrow wisely and take advantage of the ways in which to minimize student debt? In fact, that many don’t (today) speaks to the thread directly as more attend college and borrow sans a clue, particularly relative to competitive fields and/or top-tiered schools that don’t align with their (potential) career goals/salaries to reasonably support such.
Most of the people discussing this topic and chastising those "poor decision makers" have absolutely no clue what's going on today in the world of college lending, nor are they interested in understanding it or addressing it.

Convince me why I should waste my time on explaining it? What's in it for me?

Old 03-22-2024, 03:50 PM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Most of the people discussing this topic and chastising those "poor decision makers" have absolutely no clue what's going on today in the world of college lending, nor are they interested in understanding it or addressing it.

What's in it for anyone engaging in these conversations on anonymous forum?

I suppose we all want to hear different opinions about the issue.

Old 03-22-2024, 04:11 PM

1,075 posts, read 552,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What's in it for anyone engaging in these conversations on anonymous forum?

I suppose we all want to hear different opinions about the issue.
I'll hand it to you. Probably some people come here for earnest discussion and to hear the other side. I think that's the exception rather than the norm though.

With that, I'll leave ya'll with this and I'll vacate.

Old 03-22-2024, 04:59 PM

Quote:

It’s a matter of real-world discussion/problem-solving (as opposed to chastisement, per your post) relative to grants, scholarships, fellowships, work/study programs and loans. Any (potential) college student needs to know the point extends far beyond ‘the world of college lending’ in terms of personal responsibility i.e. that their (choice of) school, field/career and educational goals realistically align with their abilities/potential employment. Else, they’re far more likely to wind-up underemployed and/or drowning in debt, per the thread.

Old 03-22-2024, 05:45 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,215,987 times
This effort seems to be in it's early stages, but some states are eliminating degree requirements for some jobs. Hey, it's a start.

"Through a mix of executive and legislative actions, at least 16 states no longer require a four-year degree for most state jobs. In March 2022, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan announced that the state would become the first state in the country to remove the requirements. According to estimates released at the time of the announcement, more than half of the state's 38,000 positions could substitute relevant experience for a four-year degree. In early 2022, state employment data showed that there were more vacant positions in state government than any time in the previous 14 years. A year later, the same report found a slight decrease in the number of vacant positions.

Governors in at least 10 states, including Alaska, California, Colorado, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Utah, Virginia, have followed Maryland and eliminated degree requirements for most state positions. In April, National Governor's Association (NGA) Chair Gov. Phil Murphy (N.J.) and Vice Chair Gov. Spencer Cox (Utah) circulated a letter encouraging governors to consider reevaluating degree requirements for government jobs."

https://www.ncsl.org/education/state...e-requirements

Old 03-22-2024, 08:19 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
It’s a matter of real-world discussion/problem-solving (as opposed to chastisement, per your post) relative to grants, scholarships, fellowships, work/study programs and loans. Any (potential) college student needs to know the point extends far beyond ‘the world of college lending’ in terms of personal responsibility i.e. that their (choice of) school, field/career and educational goals realistically align with their abilities/potential employment. Else, they’re far more likely to wind-up underemployed and/or drowning in debt, per the thread.
I think a key part of this discussion has to be that most students at that age lack the experience, knowledge, and understanding to make an informed decision about college loans. And for many first gen college students, neither do their parents. They rely on advisors, both their high school counselors, and college counselors, to help make those decisions. Many who themselves are, at best uninformed, and in some cases, deliberately deceptive in their practices.

Old 03-23-2024, 01:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think a key part of this discussion has to be that most students at that age lack the experience, knowledge, and understanding to make an informed decision about college loans. ....
Decisions about loans, and careers, and life-long-earnings & learning's.

OP is crying about
Most US graduates who start their first job underemployed can't find college-level jobs 10 years later. And has often mentioned burden of edu costs. And most likely is not a generational American citizen. (Might be expecting an honest silver platter deliverable from the simple act of attending a college and obtaining a degree.). <<<< That <<<. Does not 'magically' happen in a free market society. At some point you must DELIVER,(results) or have the means, wealth, and power to DIRECT others. That is not necessary in some cultures and governments, but the message of a 'silver spoon' for a USA education IS promoted. That is not true in the USA or more so now, when returning to your home country. The 'value' is no longer there. Thus, Joe Average, best have a plan B, to actually perform! (Deliver value to an employer)

A USA degree used to deliver value for an international business, and was prominently displayed and pumped in the office and reception room of non-usa suppliers. Sorry Charlie, that ship has sailed. Competence, innovation, initiative, and capabilities are now more important and more easily measured. ...and are now essential.

A degree alone, does not assure "college level employment or secure better paying lifelong jobs". No matter the expense of time or money, in USA colleges, you do not automatically get-what-you-paid-for. You must apply your knowledge in such a way to benefit an employer. Or... If you are after the Almighty dollar (beyond incremental wage level employment,), You become the employer. (Or investor). Ironically, once you bridge that gap, a degree is no longer required, tho the learnings may be relevant.

Old 03-23-2024, 08:41 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
I think a key part of this discussion has to be that most students at that age lack the experience, knowledge, and understanding to make an informed decision about college loans. And for many first gen college students, neither do their parents. They rely on advisors, both their high school counselors, and college counselors, to help make those decisions. Many who themselves are, at best uninformed, and in some cases, deliberately deceptive in their practices.
Totally agree and adding a few points.

Most 18 year old, high school grades have no understanding of their future career goals. I had one child who was extremely focused and had a plan going into college, continued onto grad school and a career without wavering. This is amazing rare! My other child was not focused, had a couple of false starts before grad school and a career. This is more typical!

The human brain isn't fully formed until the age of 25. From the age of 5 to 18, the person only daily experience is sitting passively in a classroom. At the age of 18, most people only a vague idea of what its like working in an office, lab or hospital. What can we expect?

Old 03-23-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I think a key part of this discussion has to be that most students at that age lack the experience, knowledge, and understanding to make an informed decision about college loans.
When I was in high-school, we were able to attend a workshop (alone or with a parent) relative to college-planning and exploring the financial aid process. It’s even more readily-available information today for those who seek it. Rather than make excuses (or blame the loan process, in and of itself), why not teach accountability and arm potential students with the information they need to make informed decisions in the same way they must learn to pay the bills and manage other finances.

Per the thread, however, if they want to avoid underemployment, the first step is a realistic self-assessment regarding career goals and (the cost of) their school of choice relative to potential employment/starting salaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities