Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,030,344 times

Advertisements

:d
Quote:
that is most likely a maine coon.
Mcs have "under fur" (as i call it) and it looks like your beauty there has it.
Plus, mcs have the fluffy fur.

Pretty kittys are fluffeh!
-asherthemainecoon
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 05:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
shes POSSIBLY PART maine coon...but shes NOT in any way shaper or form purebred, not enough width to the head, not enough body size or chest and not enough density to the coat even as a kitten...

the M on the forehead is prestent in ALL makerel tabby cats (the markings, NOT a breed) so any tabby cat can have an M not just Maincoons.

while lynx can sucessfully mate with domestic cats the likelyhood of having a lynx mix and not knowing it is HIGHLYLY unlikely, the mix tends to give a very active high strung cat, lynx are not typiclaly used in a domestic breeding program..
many breeds come naturally tufted...

i do think shes probably part maincoon, but shes also probably 4 or 5 other breeds and mixes thereof too...shes a domestic tabby cat, very pretty girl.

and to answer your question yes mainecoons can come in dilutes (blue)

i do agree witht he comment about shelters and breeds, it drives me crazy, EVERY white cat with a colored nose is a siamese, EVERY grey cat is a russian blue, every big fluffy cat is a maine coon, every classic tabby or broken tabby cat is a bengal, EVERY black cat is a Bombay...gah! it drives me nuts!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Our coons also have oppose-able thumbs.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pPTw79VZFx...ctyl-cat-1.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_i5p7_euIIv...0/_MG_0152.jpg

Old 02-01-2012, 03:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,107,323 times
I think that is a tabby cat.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
yes it is a "tabby cat" but tabby is a COLOR/PATTERN not a breed...

the op wanted opion on breed. and many breeds come in tabby markings, tabby comes in different styles too, (classic, makeral, ticked ect)...and many colors (brown, grey, orange ect)

the cat in the picture IS a Tabby...but thats just the cats color...

Old 08-16-2012, 12:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,340 times
is it true that if a cat is a mc it will have an extra toe? and if it doesn't have an extra toe it's not mc?

Old 08-16-2012, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 4,340 times
is it true that if a cat is a mc it will have an extra toe? and if it doesn't have an extra toe it's not mc?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:03 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,769,802 times
Default @ TC Swag

No, that's not true, as far as I know. I believe polydactyly can occur within many breeds.

Here's a good link about Maine Coon cats: http://fanciers.com/breed-faqs/maine-coon-faq.html
Learn about polydactyly here: American Polydactyl Cats

Old 08-16-2012, 09:32 AM

575 posts, read 1,997,023 times
Dilute refers to the color pattern.

I Norwegians and Siberians also have the tufts of fur between the paw pads and off the ears. However their head types and hear shapes are all very different in bone structure.

The boning of the cat is very triangular which is MC, the size of the cat is too small, and the fur coat - even in the picture is NOT of a classic Maine Coon which should be a true triple coat and much thicker.

Polydactyl is genetic deformity that occurs in all cats - it has nothing to do with MC's.

Many mixed breed cats do have some MC mixed in (just like Siams are PART of many mixed breeds) because they are so common. Shelters etc pass these cats off as pure or 50%'s because of their great personalities to people who would like a purebred of this cat.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 3,828 times
I have a Maine Coon male and a Tortoise Shell Manx female. Both animals decided to make themselves home in our house. There's nothing like a lost or stray cat that decides to become part of the family. Win-win for both sides.

The MC is a magical cat and the Manx is like a football with stubby legs. When we take her to the vet, he declares she is obese. I tell the wife she is just short. How does one put 1/2 of a pair of cats on a diet?

Our present MC is not a huge cat. I don't know where he came from, but I'm thinking he may have been a runt and got kicked out of the litter. A previous Coon we brought home from Dumb Friends as a kitten did grow into a huge beast.

If we ever decided to actually shop and purchase a cat, it would most likely be another Coon. They are so beautiful and smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats