Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 03:31 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,413,094 times

Advertisements

She possibly could be partial MC, but it is doubtful to me...JMO. I have a part MC/Persian...who has tufts and furry feet. But just as the M does not signify a MC, neither does the tufts at the ears or feet. Her whole body structure and face shape is wrong for a MC.
So many rescues label their cats...They call them "whatever" current cat is popular and if it has the slightest resemblance of the breed. Wish I had a dime for every person who told me they got a PB "so and so" from the humane society or rescue. Without papers, one would never know. Most PB cats don't end up in rescues or sold on the local street cornor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 04:12 PM

672 posts, read 5,093,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Many cats have the "M" on the farhead. Maine Coons are much broader and full....and your confusing "Manx" ( no tail) with MC. KatrinaA has a beautiful MC....You'll see the difference in body structure and face.
I blame Cats 101 for confusing people even more about the "M" marking. I actually saw the episode where they said that. I can't believe they actually made that a fact on that show!

Thanks for throwing my kitty in as an example, lol. She does have an "M" though, but it has nothing to do with her breed.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:17 PM

672 posts, read 5,093,890 times
Quote:
Wish I had a dime for every person who told me they got a PB "so and so" from the humane society or rescue. Without papers, one would never know. Most PB cats don't end up in rescues or sold on the local street cornor.
I second that. Our shelter claim to have a lot of Norwegian Forest cats, they're so wrong. All of them are DLH and miss the features from a PB NFC. And yes, papers are needed indeed.

I still can't believe the OP wanted to sell this beautiful cat though. Is it just because he/she thought he/she could make a lot of money if it was a PB?

Always love and give your animals forever homes no matter what breed!

Old 04-27-2010, 04:29 PM

387 posts, read 2,130,985 times
What a pretty cat! I hope she finds a good home soon!

Old 04-27-2010, 05:07 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,804 times
Smile Still learning...

Quote:
She possibly could be partial MC, but it is doubtful to me...JMO. I have a part MC/Persian...who has tufts and furry feet. But just as the M does not signify a MC, neither does the tufts at the ears or feet. Her whole body structure and face shape is wrong for a MC.
So many rescues label their cats...They call them "whatever" current cat is popular and if it has the slightest resemblance of the breed. Wish I had a dime for every person who told me they got a PB "so and so" from the humane society or rescue. Without papers, one would never know. Most PB cats don't end up in rescues or sold on the local street cornor.
What is PB? Persian something?

Also, referring to the bolded part above: in the case of a MC mix, the face and body structure of the MC would always win out over the structure of whatever was the mix part?

Thank you for being patient with me as I learn! I do look on Teh Internetz, but I've found that one can't necessarily believe everything one reads. . .

Old 04-27-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
What is PB? Persian something?

Also, referring to the bolded part above: in the case of a MC mix, the face and body structure of the MC would always win out over the structure of whatever was the mix part?

Thank you for being patient with me as I learn! I do look on Teh Internetz, but I've found that one can't necessarily believe everything one reads. . .

Sorry....PB= Pure Bred
As in everything else...designer dogs, designer cats or just plain moggies, one never knows what body structure or characteristics an animal will take on in a mix. That's why it is so funny when one advertises the latest and greatest breed mixtures. One can never know for sure what percentage of what plays out...not 50-50 in most cases. A littermate of this cat, could look completely different. Genetics is an awesome study!

Old 04-28-2010, 06:24 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,726 times
I have a regular ole domestic cat (medium coat) and she has tufts on her ears. They are not as prominant as the MC, but they are there.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:44 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,012,671 times
Pictures of Maine Coon cats.
Attached Thumbnails
is that maine coon cat ?-ny-maine-coon3.jpg   is that maine coon cat ?-7143-004-7097a17d.jpg  

Old 04-28-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I have a regular ole domestic cat (medium coat) and she has tufts on her ears. They are not as prominant as the MC, but they are there.
Tufts on the ears can also mean a the presence of Lynx. My Munchkin cat has Lynx in him...complete with tufts and furry feets.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,030,343 times

That is most likely a Maine Coon.
MCs have "under fur" (as I Call it) and it looks like your beauty there has it.
Plus, MCs have the fluffy fur.

PRETTY KITTYS ARE FLUFFEH!
-AsherTheMaineCoon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats