Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 AM

9 posts, read 55,046 times

Advertisements

Well, this is the 5th day since surgery and Peanut is in the litter box constantly but there is urine coming out it's just very little. I had him back to the vet yesterday and he did x-ray, catheter and urinalisys and he said there were no strictures or stones so he should be peeing. He still has the infection which I still give him the antibiotics. He is an angel about taking pills so that is not a problem. SOmeone told me that his muscles need time to repair and pump up and that is why not a lot of urine is coming out, he can't push yet. I pray that is the case. It makes a lot of sense to me though. Did you have that problem of your cat not being able to pee alot and just a little dribble for some time after surgery??????? And if so how long will it take for his muscles to strengthen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 04:03 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times
Peanut might still have swelling. If the walls if the urethra are swollen, the opening is smaller, and the flow, well, doesn't flow so well.
I wonder if your vet could give him some sort of anti-inflammatory?

Just make sure he drinks a lot. My vet & the hospital had told me that as long as some urine is coming out, that's good. If it stops for about a half-day, get him back there. I got Fletcher to drink a lot more by mixing his food in water and stirring it all up like soup.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:12 PM

Thanks for that info. The problem is my vet wants him strictly on Science Diet CD and SD. No canned except for the canned CD and SD which Peanut won't eat. I give him syringes of water at times during the day but other than that I don't know how toget more water in him. Ihave a fountain too. I keep reading that cats with this problem should be on only wet food and my vet, because of the struvite crystals, wants him on CD and SD. I don't really know what to do. What really is the best food to feed your cat??????????? I'm really confused. I feed them Science Diet mixed with Nutro but is that really the best. Thanks by the way for the suggestion to give him an anti-inflammatory, I will give him a prednisone. The vet had him on that for his problem anyway. Ilove this site. It helps so much to hear from you.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,875 times
My cat had the PU surgery 6 days ago. he's coming home today..My vet is wonderful! I am nervous though about cleaning the surgical site. I know the vet will do all he/ she can to make sure the post-op period goes well. I'll let you all know.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:12 AM

Wow, your vet kept him 6 days?! Mine kept him 1 and sent him home. YOu are blessed that he will be 1/2 way healed by the time you get him. The fact they could watch him and keep him contained is great. I did not have to wash the site either. Sounds like your vet is very thorough. Do you have to have the stitches removed or will they fall out on their own?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:33 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times
Lynne, you might ask about the Purina UR st/ox. It comes in dry and canned, and works on both kinds of crystals, struvite and oxylate.

The canned is (evidently) very yummy, because all the cats want to eat it, which gets quite expensive. Since we can't keep Fletcher separated, we have all of the cats on the Purina UR dry, but then Fletcher, the one with the problem, gets a 1/2 can each night, with lots of water mixed in. I have to lock him in a room alone while he eats his "soup," or they'll all steal it.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 11,986 times
Red face 17 week old foster kitten needs PU surgery

Hi everyone. I have a 17 week old kitten that was found on a highway with his 2 siblings when they were about 1 week old. I am a volunteer at my local Animal Shelter and the kitten is considered theirs but has always been in my home since I am his foster mom. He is in the hospital right now and I was told that he needs PU surgery. I love this kitten. Since he was going to go up for adoption after I raised them I was hoping that I wouldn't get attached but I so am! He is incredibly sweet and lovable. So now my problem is the cost. The shelter will not pay for it so I have two options. Raise the money somehow or have him euthanized. I DO NOT want him euthanized at all. I will do everything I can to get the money together because I love him. Can anyone tell me how much the surgery was for your cat and where and also if you have ever heard of a kitten this age eventually growing out of the surgery? A Vet at Philadelphia Hospital just told me that. Thanks so much for your help.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:43 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,974 times
wow, never, ever heard of a cat at that age needing that surgery. That is a surgery usually reserved for cases of reoccurring blockages. Might want a second opinion.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 11,986 times
Default 17 week old pu surgery?

Thanks Tigafan. I am going tomorrow 10/28 for the second opinion. Will post results.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:46 AM

Thanks Tracy, I have to find out where to get it because I'm sure you can't just get it off the shelf. I will ask my vet. Peanut is doing better but it still takes him 3 or 4 times in the litter box to empty bladder.

I can't believe they would want a kitten that young tohave that surgery. I agree that you need to see a blockage 2 or 3 times at least. That surgery is a last resort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats