Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 02:03 PM

5 posts, read 2,643 times

Advertisements

My 16 month old KoZmo had his 1st blockage in June. It was Sludge in his bladder. He ended up in the hospital with a catheter to unblock his urethra from all the sludge. Fast forward to November 9th. He has yet another blockage. KoZmo is 20 months old and in 4 months this is his 2nd blockage from sludge.

He had his Perineal Urethrostomy on 11/10/2020 everything went well until last night. He was meowing in and out of the litter box non stop only pea size amounts with blood again. He is 16 days post op. I have fed him sience diet C/d like they recommended but not sure if that is going to help him with his sludge in the bladder issue.

Need to know if I should keep him on the C/D or if there is something else that might work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 01:48 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I would have the vet check him out to be sure he didn't develop an infection.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:13 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I would have the vet check him out to be sure he didn't develop an infection.
I agree. This can be common after PU surgery. But to answer your question, HIll's also makes an S/D formula that is formulated to actually dissolve crystals (I assume by sludge, you mean struvite crystals). It is for SHORT TERM USE ONLY to dissolve crystals (as opposed to prevention). In any case, I would see the vet again, especially since there was some blood.

I hope all goes well - my boy had PU surgery, I know how traumatic it is.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 495 times
Hello everyone! Our 3 year old orange tabby had to get PU surgery today and I'm so worried... They said that they found some stones during his procedure and that he had a lot of scarring in his urethra due to the stones, having a blockage last week and getting catheterized.

Does anyone know how worried we should be? The vet sounded so apologetic and consoling that I'm worried things won't turn out well.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:40 AM

3 posts, read 1,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittykitty View Post
Hey!

My cat had pu surgery about 2 years ago and has recovered fine. Thank god. My only issue is he try’s to “spray” now whenever he gets excited or something out of the norm happens. He will back up to something and his tail fidgets like he’s trying to spray. He obviously can’t do that now. He never sprayed before the surgery. I’m worried why this behavior has begun and what I can do to calm him.
He's most likely just giving you the "happy tail dance". It looks very much like when they're spraying, but they don't spray, it's just an expression of "I'm happy".
One of my cats takes this to the extreme, he actually also moves his back paws like he was riverdancing

Old 12-27-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango1004 View Post
Hello everyone! Our 3 year old orange tabby had to get PU surgery today and I'm so worried... They said that they found some stones during his procedure and that he had a lot of scarring in his urethra due to the stones, having a blockage last week and getting catheterized.

Does anyone know how worried we should be? The vet sounded so apologetic and consoling that I'm worried things won't turn out well.
I don't think you should be that worried. That part of the urethra that had blockages due to "stones" (most likely struvite crystals) is removed during the surgery anyway.
What I think you should inquire though is about the nature of the stones. Because the diet of your cat should be tailored by that to avoid possible future kidney issues. If there were struvite crystals, the urine is too alkaline, if there were calcium oxalates, it's too acidic.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:49 AM

My floof had the PU surgery a bit over a week ago. He had the "three strikes" in very rapid succession, within 6 weeks, first two with struvite crystals with very alkaline PH. The third one was protein and epithelial cells plug even if his urine was a healthy PH.
He did great, tomorrow we go for stitch removal.
What I was going to ask people who had experience with this, how long did you go with the paper litter after the stitches removal?
My house looks like I had a confetti party - I had two big bags from the vet office before I got the "yesterday's news" litter delivered.
One of my other cats (I have two other ones) has been so distressed about the litter change he started to randomly potty all over the place.

Old 05-29-2021, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 374 times
Default My Male Just Had Perineal Urethrostomy!

I spend $5K a few years back to have my Bangle blockage cleared at a emergency clinic. The past few months my mobile vet tried to treat him for a reoccurring UTI and blockage. Finally we opted for surgery. I love my vet he did it in his motor home gave him back to me. I had to isolate him in the master bathroom for 5 days which he was not too happy about very smelly and some blood but much rather have him at home. Much cheaper and the bonus was that he has always had a weight problem and now I realized it was due to this issue! He looks great and no we did not give him a girl name! lololol.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:38 PM

81 posts, read 37,245 times
We had this surgery for our Big Boy (who has since passed from cancer) but he, too, had repeated urinary tract issues (typically on a holiday weekend). He would always let us know something was wrong by going to a newspaper and scratching on it, then going to his litter box. We would just call and make an appointment, his vet knew him well.

For Big Boy, the surgery was 100% effective. He no longer had any urinary tract issues the rest of his life (about 7 more years as I recall, we had him put down at age 16+).

Not cheap surgery by any stretch of the imagination, but well worth it to us. I think ours ran about $1600 or so?

He got used to the collar by hooking it beneath his food/water bowls and dipping his head into them. He would lower his head and walk up to the bowls until the collar got hung on them. It was so funny watching him do that, but he figured it out.

Our feline vets are certified and graduated the NC State Veterinary School (as have most all the vets at our clinic). We're lucky in that the vets at our clinic are very good and once a vet starts caring for one of our animals, that vet sees that animal every visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats