Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 01:39 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Threads like this continue to remind me why it wouldn't be a good idea for me to try to bring home another cat, as much as I might like to sometimes.

I think if you have a cat that you've had for a while, he/she gets used to being the spoiled only child, and trying to introduce another cat is a bad idea.
Agree with this completely after experiencing agonizing difficulties of our own. We would give new cats a loving home in a heartbeat but we know without a doubt that our residing Queen would want nothing to do with it, and that we would be asking for Trouble with a capital T.

As much as we humans have inspired cats to be team players over history I feel that their basic nature is as solitary animal. Some pure breeds or those raised together may live just perfectly in a co-habitating home but many others would be just miserable.

It's worth a try if you really want another cat but I would wish I could have a trial run first and see what the response is from Cat #1 first. Any signs that she isn't loving it would mean it's not happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 07:02 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
I rescued Charcoal from the street when Lily was 9. He was 5-1/2 months. He wanted to play play play. She would have nothing to do with him and would hiss and hit him.

18 months later.. I've got a pg stray on my hands.. and voila two kittens 3 weeks later.

Once the kittens were 6 weeks and they and Momma had been given the A-Okay by my vet... that made 5 to integrate.

Momma and the kids were let out of the nursery for visits. Lily ignored the kittens, tolerated Momma... softened her dislike towards Charcoal..... and Charcoal - he took over mothering duties from Momma! He was Mr. Mom! Momma was glad of the break - except for nursing.

And now.....Lily lets Charcoal wash her face. Momma was adopted by my best friend.. and the two younger cats are teaching Lily new tricks!

Old 01-22-2019, 12:19 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I rescued Charcoal from the street when Lily was 9. He was 5-1/2 months. He wanted to play play play. She would have nothing to do with him and would hiss and hit him.

18 months later.. I've got a pg stray on my hands.. and voila two kittens 3 weeks later.

Once the kittens were 6 weeks and they and Momma had been given the A-Okay by my vet... that made 5 to integrate.

Momma and the kids were let out of the nursery for visits. Lily ignored the kittens, tolerated Momma... softened her dislike towards Charcoal..... and Charcoal - he took over mothering duties from Momma! He was Mr. Mom! Momma was glad of the break - except for nursing.

And now.....Lily lets Charcoal wash her face. Momma was adopted by my best friend.. and the two younger cats are teaching Lily new tricks!
I love it when a plan comes together.

Good job.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,342 times
Hey everyone

We have now a 9 month old kitten ,Floki
Adopted him in October from the shelter and an 18 year old, female, long haired calico named Willow who was given to me from a farm I worked on

We live in a populated small city in the hills

Willow is a semi-smart cat who comes when whistled! I don't have to worry about her outside even in a busy neighborhood. Unfortunately she will try and drink puddles full of who knows

Since her kidney disease shes more of a home cat. I love her deeply. Only cat I ever knew who wiped her paws against your face when crying. ❤

Shes a soothing and lovable companion

Now 9 month old Floki? Rambunctious, mischievous, clever, vocal and quick

He had led us to a two day search when he jumped our fence on our deck

We found him in our neighbors window 
Hes broken dishes, cups, eaten styrophome, climbs everything including ....our....FLATESCREEN TV

he will attack your feet at night even if you just breath. And since hes black he disappears into the night

He has led many of my smoking friends out on chases. (Wouldnt have had to that if they werent so dang slow getting out the door!) I dont allow cigarettes inside our home 

He fights willow and will attack and hug from behind. He will run over her and our legs with claws and everything

Floki was a perfect name 

So here we are. Buying a 130$ cat house, perches, trees and towers. Tons of toys and expensive cat boxes just so we can keep him occupied. 

If that doesn't work hes going outside and we will have to try our chances


If something happens we are moving...maybe adopt new animals when in a better environment
❤

Wish us luck! Will update if it didnt work out!

Old 04-28-2020, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Sorry....I disagree! Spraying a 12 week old kitten for playing is totally wrong!
Spray bottles work for older kittens/cat who are kneading on furniture...not playing! Start spraying this kitten now and your going to have a kitten that is terrified of you and make him skittish throughout his lifetime.
I spray my 3 month old and hes not scared of me. The spray bottle works like a charm. Stops him any unwanted behaviour aside from leaving my senior cat alone

Old 04-28-2020, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberamour View Post
Agree with this completely after experiencing agonizing difficulties of our own. We would give new cats a loving home in a heartbeat but we know without a doubt that our residing Queen would want nothing to do with it, and that we would be asking for Trouble with a capital T.

As much as we humans have inspired cats to be team players over history I feel that their basic nature is as solitary animal. Some pure breeds or those raised together may live just perfectly in a co-habitating home but many others would be just miserable.

It's worth a try if you really want another cat but I would wish I could have a trial run first and see what the response is from Cat #1 first. Any signs that she isn't loving it would mean it's not happening.
My senior cat was pissed when I brought Raven home. however, after just a few days of hissing and swatting Sam came to accept him and I didnt even seperate them at all. I didn't have a second room large enough that also had a door.

The only prpb I have now is Raven is always in attack mode and my senior cats hates him for it

Old 04-29-2020, 05:04 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyRavenSam98 View Post
My senior cat was pissed when I brought Raven home. however, after just a few days of hissing and swatting Sam came to accept him and I didnt even seperate them at all. I didn't have a second room large enough that also had a door.

The only prpb I have now is Raven is always in attack mode and my senior cats hates him for it

Raven isn't in "attack mode" he's a kitten and kittens want to play all the time.

It's your job to play with Raven so he will leave your senior cat alone. Ensure she has a place to go to get away from him. Play with him for at least 15 minutes at a time, 4 or 5 sessions a day.

Distract him with play when he bothers her.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:07 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyRavenSam98 View Post
I spray my 3 month old and hes not scared of me. The spray bottle works like a charm. Stops him any unwanted behaviour aside from leaving my senior cat alone

This is not going to teach him anything except you are mean. He won't understand why you are doing it and it will just cause stress. Instead teach him desirable behaviors. Replace the unwanted behavior with the wanted behavior. Cats act the way they do because they are cats.

If you want a nice cat instead of one always on edge redirect unwanted behaviors. Teach him what you want, not what you don't want.

Last edited by catsmom21; 04-29-2020 at 05:20 AM..

Old 01-25-2021, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 551 times
Default Maybe Consider giving older cat some space

I have same issue so I give my older cat a break. She likes one of the rooms and I shut the door so she can have some space for a while while the kitten has run of the house. Other times I flip it when I am in the room, the kitten can hang with me while the older cat has run of the house. Most of the time they both have free reign of the house together but when the older needs a break I try to accommodate it and also make sure I spend some time with the older one as the kitten dominates everything right now. This seems to work with the older cat's tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats