Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 02:08 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1123 View Post
Anybody have any ideas about what might be happening?
I think in your case it may be more than just a vet smell. I've always believed that cats, and other pets as well, have a way of knowing when one of their family is ailing or perhaps dying. In my own experience of end of life situations, my other cats have acted much the same as yours. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, and that your old boy might turn around and have more time with you. But I do think your other cat knows he's not well, and that's the reason for avoiding him. Wishing you a good outcome, and all paws crossed here for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 01:50 AM

1 posts, read 821 times
Hello Greetings!

I have a 4-year-old female cat and a 9-month-old male cat. Both of them are best friends and could never be separated for more than a couple of minutes

Yesterday I took the 9-month-old male cat and got him sprayed.
After coming back home both my cats are hissing growing and fighting with each other!

I need some help! what do I do? I don't want to give up on them.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douche View Post
Hello Greetings!

I have a 4-year-old female cat and a 9-month-old male cat. Both of them are best friends and could never be separated for more than a couple of minutes

Yesterday I took the 9-month-old male cat and got him sprayed.
After coming back home both my cats are hissing growing and fighting with each other!

I need some help! what do I do? I don't want to give up on them.
It's most likely the smell from the vets office and the anesthetic used during the procedure. That's a pretty normal reaction from your other cat. They identify more by scent that anything else, and without that they can't recognize friend or foe. On top of that, your male cat may be having a bit of discomfort, and doesn't want to be messed with. Give them some time for the odors to go away (separate them if you have to), and things will probably go back to normal within a day or two. What you're seeing is common after a vet visit, and temporary. They should be fine.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:48 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Do you normally brush them? If so use the same brush on both of them. Kind of move the scent from one to the other.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 776 times
I'm so glad to see that this is such a common occurrence... *whew*
We just had my 6 month old spayed yesterday, when I brought her home our 1 year old female got all fluffed and hissed just like when we first brought the little one home! I was so discouraged. It has taken a LOOOOONG time to get them to be civil with one another (little one is so high energy and our older baby is a lazy-ish cuddle bug who was used to having the house all to herself - so they didn't get along very well) I hope within the next few days scents change and reintroduction works...

Old 10-18-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenpoKicker88 View Post
I'm so glad to see that this is such a common occurrence... *whew*
We just had my 6 month old spayed yesterday, when I brought her home our 1 year old female got all fluffed and hissed just like when we first brought the little one home! I was so discouraged. It has taken a LOOOOONG time to get them to be civil with one another (little one is so high energy and our older baby is a lazy-ish cuddle bug who was used to having the house all to herself - so they didn't get along very well) I hope within the next few days scents change and reintroduction works...
It should in a day or two. Sometimes a spay takes a bit longer to 'recover' from. Keep an eye on them till things get back to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats