Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 04:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,465 times

Advertisements

I wish I would've read this article before taking my one cat to the vet as his brother is hissing at him but after reading your articles I'm hoping in a day or two they should be back to love muffins.

Cat Aggression | Aggression between Cats after Vet Visit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 07:11 AM

2 posts, read 6,739 times
Two days back I let my cat away from home, because she is in heat and in my building there is no male cat. So i thought she will find male cat out side the building so I let out side but she didn't came back to home. How I can search her.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 6,739 times
Should go and call her that location where I let her.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,301 times
Default HELP, Pretty Please!!

My brother/sister duo have never been separated since birth, they are now 4. They are very closely bonded.

They both went to the vet together 2 weeks ago and Milo hates it. Hisses, complains the entire time. Mia doesn't like it but she is better than him with the experience.

Monday, Mia went to the vet to have dental cleaning and a baby tooth extracted. When we came home, Milo didn't like the way she smelled and hissed like crazy. I separated them immediately. The next day, we drove back to Chicago from Detroit and they had to be in separate carriers, when typically they ride together. Now, back in Chi, they have been separated in different rooms, switching frequently throughout the day.When we let them out, he would hiss whenever he she got close. I am diffusing Feliway, and using flower essences from Jackson Galaxy.

Yesterday, we put up a baby gate. Today, they touched noses, and he just let out a little meow. I thought all was going well. Then my husband got the brilliant idea to let him smell her butt... his rational was if he could just smell her butt he'd know it was her. Alas, a big ol' hiss. Back to square one.

I decided to give them each a wipe down bath. Now, tonight they both ate about 7 feet apart with the gate between. No hissing. Basically, I am having to do a completely re-intorduction.

I am so scared they will never be bonded again. Any help or reassuring words would be so appreciated. I am stressed about this. I just want my babies back to normal.

HUGE thanks!

Old 01-02-2015, 07:21 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy Pink View Post
My brother/sister duo have never been separated since birth, they are now 4. They are very closely bonded.

They both went to the vet together 2 weeks ago and Milo hates it. Hisses, complains the entire time. Mia doesn't like it but she is better than him with the experience.

Monday, Mia went to the vet to have dental cleaning and a baby tooth extracted. When we came home, Milo didn't like the way she smelled and hissed like crazy. I separated them immediately. The next day, we drove back to Chicago from Detroit and they had to be in separate carriers, when typically they ride together. Now, back in Chi, they have been separated in different rooms, switching frequently throughout the day.When we let them out, he would hiss whenever he she got close. I am diffusing Feliway, and using flower essences from Jackson Galaxy.

Yesterday, we put up a baby gate. Today, they touched noses, and he just let out a little meow. I thought all was going well. Then my husband got the brilliant idea to let him smell her butt... his rational was if he could just smell her butt he'd know it was her. Alas, a big ol' hiss. Back to square one.

I decided to give them each a wipe down bath. Now, tonight they both ate about 7 feet apart with the gate between. No hissing. Basically, I am having to do a completely re-intorduction.

I am so scared they will never be bonded again. Any help or reassuring words would be so appreciated. I am stressed about this. I just want my babies back to normal.

HUGE thanks!
Well, I can understand why they're acting that way. On top of the vet visits, there was some traveling involved. One stress on top of another. It's sounds like you're doing the appropriate things to handle the situation, so have patience and let them work it out. They most likely will eventually. I know you're not used to seeing them at odds with each other, but as long as they aren't actually fighting, try not to take it too seriously and give them time.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njayned View Post
We have adopted a mum and baby boy from the RSPCA. The mum went into heat and the kitten was trying to mate with her so we took him to the vet today to be neutered. Previously they behaved very much like mum and kitten sleeping together all day and all night, playing washing each other etc however since his return from the vet she hisses at him and keeps attacking him when ever he goes for affection and its quite distressing he looks lost and confused. We have tried rubbing him with her bedding etc but she is still really hostile. We are separating them tonight. I'm worried how long this will last, as when the vet smell fades I'm scared she will forget he was her baby and they will no longer sleep or wash each other etc. we are taking her to get spayed on Thursday will this exacerbate the problem? We usually take them together but the vet wouldn't spay her when she was in heat and we didn't want him to impregnate her, any advice or reassurance is most welcome! Thanks
We had the same issue with two siblings. Giving the kitty that came home from the vet a sponge bath with pet shampoo fixed the issue within a couple of hours. My theory is that the cat comes home smelling like the smells at the vet (dogs, medicine, etc.) Good luck.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:42 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greta287 View Post
We had the same issue with two siblings. Giving the kitty that came home from the vet a sponge bath with pet shampoo fixed the issue within a couple of hours. My theory is that the cat comes home smelling like the smells at the vet (dogs, medicine, etc.) Good luck.
The 'vet office scent' will usually wear off pretty quickly (several hours or so), but it might depend on what was done. It might take longer if the cat has had surgery or anesthetic, maybe a day or 2. No doubt a bath would speed up the process, but probably not really necessary in most cases.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:40 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
My one cat had a bad reaction to the poor cat who had come back from hospitalization. She hissed at him a few times, then settled down when he smelled more like himself.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:26 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Thanks to this thread I just called the local vet. House calls are $35 which means I do not have to get two cats in cages, drive 30 minutes and after exam/shots have to reverse the non-fun. Next Friday at four. SO will be home.

So far we only had an emergency visit which turned out to be a hissy fit worth 1k but what can you do?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:44 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
I agree with catdad7x, that if it's just hissing and not blood-shed fighting, then you might want to start allowing them back together to settle back into being buddies.

It sometimes is quite scary to us to watch our cats hash things out, but sometimes we have to let it happen, intervening only if there's horrific fighting.

My daughter accidently created a problem by separating her mother cat from her kids when Luna returned from the vet after being spayed (the kittens were fully weaned and about 4 months old). She had great intentions - the idea was to give Luna some solitude for a couple of days to recover, but instead, after those few days when reintroduced, Luna hissed up a storm. It was distressing, but rather than allowing Luna to tell her kids to give her space in her own way, my daughter kept them separate, and they remained that way for the past year. However, my daughter just moved, and I strongly suggested new-place-new-environment and not to separate. As they are all getting acclimated to the new place there has been some hissing and swatting and chasing, and as scary as it appears, there's been no blood-shed and it is all smoothing out just fine.

I've been fortunate to observe a variety of animals do what comes naturally to communicate certain things to one another, and to a human, it is not pretty at all sometimes. Recently I saw two female lowland gorillas go at it, and it made me cringe, but the keeper wasn't flummoxed or concerned at all - although it appeared to be a brutal encounter, it was normal communication behavior.

So, with our cats, sometimes we have to let them hiss, swat, chase, but remain calm-cool-collected -- yet vigilant to be ready to break up a real fur-pulling-out fight if we need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats