Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2011, 02:09 PM

758 posts, read 1,639,161 times

Advertisements

We have three cats and one had some bladder issues a couple of years back and the vet recommended C/D. So for the past couple of years, we have been feeding C/D and issues are gone. Woo!

But....

I admit that part of it is the price ($54 for 17lb...and all three of our cats are eating it), part is the inconvenience of needing a prescription, part is the fact that our vet told us it is fairly fatty for cat food (and our latest cat seems to have plumped up since she started eating it), and part because I've heard that Science Diet foods aren't the best choice.

Are there any good alternatives? We also feed wet food a couple of times a week (but the wet food isn't C/D, just Fancy Feast, Friskies, 9 Lives, etc)
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 05:14 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Check out the ingredients list in the C/D kibble you have been feeding. You can find a lot of the same ingredients in other foods.
More than likely your cat is doing better due to the wet food you have been feeding.
PLEASE check out this webiste, written by a vet who furthered her education (from the norm) concerning feline nutrition.
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health <---My Cat Is Doing "Fine" Eating Dry Kibble
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health <----Prescription Diets And Marketing Labels

Old 11-11-2011, 11:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
My 16+ year old cat has been eating Feline c/d for the last 15+ years and is doing fine. He turns up his nose at anything else, even tuna. I also feed it to a couple of neighborhood cats who also prefer it to anything else. None of them seem to know they are "obligate carnivores" and can't live happily on it, but as far as I know none of them can read. I buy it at my veterinarian's office, and I have the greatest respect for his opinion. Yes, it's not cheap, but it's worth it.

And as I said before, I don't want to argue about it.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:58 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
I have one cat on Hills Prescription c/d. She has FLUTD and the c/d is the only food that keeps her healthy. I hate feeding her this food, but it works for what it's meant for, keeping her crystal and pain free.

While she is not normally a finicky cat, she won't eat the canned c/d, so she gets the kibble.

All my other cats are on a high quality, mostly grain free, canned diet. I wish with all my heart this cat could be on that diet too (and so does she ) but the c/d is the only food that keeps her healthy.

Yes, many cats will gain weight on the c/d. The trick is to control portion size and make sure the cats get enough exercise. My girl is not over weight, but she would be if she was free fed this food. (I don't believe in free feeding anyway)

Old 11-12-2011, 06:18 PM

380 posts, read 832,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
= part is the inconvenience of needing a prescription...
Quote:
I also feed it to a couple of neighborhood cats who also prefer it to anything else.
Am I the only one scratching my head here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
and part because I've heard that Science Diet foods aren't the best choice.
As has been suggested, check out the ingredient panel; draw your own conclusion, and consider the price you pay.
www.catinfo.org

Old 11-12-2011, 11:11 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
In the interests of clarity, the second quote above was mine, not hodgemo2's. I of course realize that a prescription is not required for Hill's Prescription Diet cat food. I hope you haven't made anyone else scratch his/her head.

Last edited by catman; 11-12-2011 at 11:26 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 09:05 AM

Anyone capable of comprehending contents from 2 out of a total of 4 posts can see who wrote what.

Point was one person "needed" a prescription for the same c/d food.

Reminder that this is a public discussion forum. If one does not want the subject of what they write to be met with differing views, personal blogs are an option.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:21 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
In the interests of clarity, the second quote above was mine, not hodgemo2's. I of course realize that a prescription is not required for Hill's Prescription Diet cat food. I hope you haven't made anyone else scratch his/her head.

A prescription is indeed required for Hill's Prescription Diets. (or Royal Canin Prescription Diets, or Purina Prescription Diets)

If you come across a store selling this food without a prescription please report it. These foods are not mean to be fed indiscriminately. They are made for specific health conditions, and as such, are only sold by a prescription written by a vet.

Hills Prescription Diets and Hills Science Diet are not the same thing. The ingredients may seem the same, but the foods are formulated differently.

Prescription Diet is by prescription only. As stated earlier, I am not thrilled with the ingredient list, but the fact remains that this food keeps my FLUTD cat healthy. Science Diet is a grocery store food, and as junky as any other.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:05 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
"Prescription Diet" is technically a trademark of Hill's. It does not mean it requires a prescription in the way of some other things. I don't believe there are any laws against selling this without prescription, for instance, unlike certain medications. That said, I'm not aware of it or the Waltham/Mars or Purina equivalents (known as Veterinary Diets because of the Hill's trademark) being sold anywhere but vet offices. And even if it were (and it may be, maybe I haven't noticed or don't remember), I would agree that it shouldn't be sold or fed indiscriminately. But if they sell this at Petsmart, for example, I'm would gather there's not a process for checking prescriptions. I'm only guessing though. There would be no particular requirement for them to do so, other than an attempt at helping people avoid making stupid decisions, which stores don't normally do.

Of course, after we read the ingredients on these products some of us tend to wonder what the heck in these formulations is really supposed to help with so much corn and wheat and so little meat....

Last edited by greg42; 11-13-2011 at 03:13 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
"Prescription Diet" is technically a trademark of Hill's. It does not mean it requires a prescription in the way of some other things. .
It's a gimmick, IMO. There's no drug/medicine in it to warrant what "prescription" implies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Of course, after we read the ingredients on these products some of us tend to wonder what the heck in these formulations is really supposed to help with so much corn and wheat and so little meat....
Just reading the ingredients, one would reckon: Get creature with natural low thirst drive to drink more of the water it requires.

Here, see for yourselves. Note virtually iingredient-for-ingredient, and where iodized salt places on the lists. (I would hope that outside cats being fed this stuff are supplied sufficient water.)

c/d

c/d® Multicare Feline Bladder Health - Dry
Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

SD hairball control
Adult Hairball Control - Dry
Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Powdered Cellulose, Whole Grain Corn, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride Vitamin E Supplement, DL-Methionine, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Iodized Salt, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

OP can find much more species-appropriate diets for the $$$ they are spending, IMO. www.catinfo.org

Last edited by Pamina333; 11-13-2011 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats