Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 PM

380 posts, read 833,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
You found the key...WET food. No fish.

I have a hard time sometimes not kicking myself around for all those years I bought into the "prescription" "food". My cat's digestion was ruined from that "food". Sure she was "fine" for the first 5 years on it, but she stopped being fine, and may never be fine ever again. She's on a mostly raw diet now, which has helped a lot but her digestion is pretty much ruined from eating a corn based diet for so long.

Cats are not cows.
Please don't ever kick yourself? I don't know anyone (in "real life") who doesn't buy into it. And they've been provided concrete proof, on a gold platter! Animals get sicker, despite allllll the expensive food, and repeated vet visits, because they won't take the word of "internet People" over their brick mortar vets.

I wonder how many cats you have saved because lurkers have read your information and stories of your kitties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 05:58 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post

People are merely sharing information which I, for one, would have given ANYTHING to have had half a clue about instead of learning it all the hard way.

Some have a hard time digesting the fact that trusted vets are steering them in the WRONG direction regarding diet as cats are strict carnivores (when they have vets "prescribing" carb-laden cereal for a species incapable of even chewing it). People "shoot the messengers" who are only trying to do what THEY wished someone had done for them -- provide crucial information which would have spared blockages, diabetes, etc. and heartaches.

Many people don't have $$$$ saved up for preventable blockages; emercency catharisations; PU surgeries; Insulin... perennial treatments and expensive corn-in-a-bag.

Perhaps some desperate cat owner is searching and looking for information right now...

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health by DR. Lisa A Pierson, DVM
(especially the bolded part)

I know someone who adamantly defends Iams kibble as "the best you can feed your cat" because her vet told her so. Her cats, both past and current, are morbidly obese. She has lost a cat to diabetes/liver failure and one to chronic pancreatitis, and the two she has now are headed the same way, but she will not even begin to consider that the food may be at fault. Her vet has made a good profit on her cats and their "best food you can feed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF4256 View Post
Please don't ever kick yourself? I don't know anyone (in "real life") who doesn't buy into it. And they've been provided concrete proof, on a gold platter! Animals get sicker, despite allllll the expensive food, and repeated vet visits, because they won't take the word of "internet People" over their brick mortar vets.

I wonder how many cats you have saved because lurkers have read your information and stories of your kitties.
Thank you for your kind words. I hope I and you and others have made a difference for a cat here or there along the way. I won't ever stop trying, though in many places I swear I can actually feel the eye rolling when I post.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,565,695 times
I've only recently come across this and I'm compelled to address to "prescription" label. IMO, it's far worse that a mere gimmick.

What is marketed as a product implicitly requiring a prescription, as that term is commonly understood, is in actuality a product subject to an exclusive distribution agreement. There is no regulated or controlled substance in the cat-food such that the distribution or possession of which could subject one to criminal prosecution, irrespective of possible civil liability. It has no material qualities of a remedy requiring a prescription from a physician. After having spoken with smaller pet supply business owners, it is obvious that label is being used as a means to limit the distribution points as to maintain and ensure an inflated sales price. This might even be actionable as fraud as the manufacturer, who may have also induced unwitting veterinarians to possible ethical and Business and Professions Code violations for using false and misleading means to further sales under the color of their professional licenses.

If you think I'm going overboard with this, please bear in mind I do not appreciate my affection for my cat being manipulated by business interests to maximize their profitability. I'm weird that way.

Stepping off the soapbox, I must say this thread is informative and very helpful.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:34 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,791,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
I've only recently come across this and I'm compelled to address to "prescription" label. IMO, it's far worse that a mere gimmick.

What is marketed as a product implicitly requiring a prescription, as that term is commonly understood, is in actuality a product subject to an exclusive distribution agreement. There is no regulated or controlled substance in the cat-food such that the distribution or possession of which could subject one to criminal prosecution, irrespective of possible civil liability. It has no material qualities of a remedy requiring a prescription from a physician. After having spoken with smaller pet supply business owners, it is obvious that label is being used as a means to limit the distribution points as to maintain and ensure an inflated sales price. This might even be actionable as fraud as the manufacturer, who may have also induced unwitting veterinarians to possible ethical and Business and Professions Code violations for using false and misleading means to further sales under the color of their professional licenses.

If you think I'm going overboard with this, please bear in mind I do not appreciate my affection for my cat being manipulated by business interests to maximize their profitability. I'm weird that way.

Stepping off the soapbox, I must say this thread is informative and very helpful.
Your affection for your cat is being manipulated by whoever you bought your feed bowl from, your litterbox from, your litter from, your food from, your cat toys, catnip, fancy bedding, scratching post, Feliway, kitty tooth brush...

Every single thing you -buy- for your cat - comes from a manufacturer who is in business of profiting off the affection you bear for your cat. You can fool yourself into believing otherwise, but it won't change the fact of the matter.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:24 AM

532 posts, read 1,068,985 times
c/d ??

Old 11-24-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
c/d ??
c/d® Multicare Feline Bladder Health - Dry

Ingredients

Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, DL-Methionine, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Rosemary Extract, Beta-Carotene.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:59 AM

532 posts, read 1,068,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
c/d® Multicare Feline Bladder Health - Dry

Ingredients

Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Chicken Liver Flavor, Fish Oil, Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Iodized Salt, Potassium Citrate, DL-Methionine, vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Rosemary Extract, Beta-Carotene.

Sounds perfectly awful. "Processed" food, no?

Old 11-24-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaustin View Post
Sounds perfectly awful. "Processed" food, no?
It is. I live the consequences of feeding this food every single day. My cat's digestion was ruined from 6 years on this "food". She has been on raw and canned diet now for two years and is much better, but the damage was done. If after two years she has not made a full recovery from the damage that "food" did, I expect this is as good as it is going to get for her.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:15 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
Over the years my vet has tried to push the 'prescription' science diet foods for my cats & dogs, and I always declined. The simple fact was that none of them would eat it... not even a little bit. So for me it's a moot point. But I'm upset with vets in general for allowing themselves to be brainwashed into selling this stuff to caring, but uneducated, pet owners. They're supposed to do no harm first and foremost.
The last time my vet tried to get me to use the science diet wet food, he made a point of telling me how the salesman demonstrated how safe and beneficial it was by opening a can and eating some of it himself. I wasn't all that impressed. It may be safe for human consumption, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good for my cats.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 13,609 times
Default Hills CD

Hills Science Diet CD is low in ash...it's the ash that causes the crystals. I've tried other foods like Friskies special diet canned and Purina low urinary PH. Neither works for my little guy.

Mine has a persistent case where he has to also take medication. I have 2 other boys, and they all eat it. It was so difficult keeping the one out of the other's food. The price is prohibitive, but I put out 3/4 of a cup twice a day for all 3 and a bag lasts 6 weeks+ (17.5#).

He has gained weight on CD, but he is a slug on the medication. The other 2 who are not taking any medication have not gained weight. My daughter is a Veterinarian, and you absolutely need a prescription to get CD. That is why it is sold at a vet's office or on a pet pharmacy website like Fosters or Petmeds.

Cat food, like all dry food is baked at high heats, and that leaves a lot of ash leftover in the process. CD is also baked at high heat, but the ash is removed. They use ingredients that leave less ash as well. Cats in the wild are carnivores, but they have adapted to a grain diet which is much easier to digest. Just because it's not a diet you believe to be nutritionally complete, does not mean that it isn't. Cats eat all kinds of foods while in the yard or woods including grasses and grains. (Their normal food is birds and mice who are omnivores). Like us...they need a varied diet. Meat is a great, but not complete. I've always wondered why they don't put out a rodent based diet for cats...lol. Not many PEOPLE would buy it I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats