Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 11:12 AM

105 posts, read 573,566 times

Advertisements

My cat got out last night. I left the door open this morning and luckily, he came back, but he's filthy. Can I give him a bath with the dishwashing soap they use to clean animals (like in the Gulf), or do I need to get cat shampoo?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 01:15 PM

48 posts, read 300,299 times
If you have plain Ivory, unscented soap you can use it- just be careful around the eyes (obviously).

A good-quality cat shampoo would be gentler on his skin, but just once with dish soap shouldn't be a big deal.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:16 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,810,844 times
Whatever you do, make sure you secure the method in which Mr. or Mrs. noseybody kitty got out in the first place.

You don't need any problems.
Good luck !

Old 06-19-2011, 01:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I have washed my pets, and use my own shampoo. If it works fine for me, I don't see why I need to buy them special stuff. Jasper's last bath, he was bathed with Dove body wash, he lived.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:20 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
You are asking about Dawn dish soap?

Dawn is used on wildlife and kittens, so yes it is safe to use on your cat, if it is absolutely necessary to bathe him. Use a VERY small amount and be sure to rinse him thoroughly.

However, you might try just wet brushing him to get the worst of the muck off him, and then let him do the rest.

I'm glad he came home safe and sound, you must have been so worried!

PS welcome to the forum!

Old 06-19-2011, 07:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
you can use dawn or ivory brand (both are very mild with good grease cutting qualities) but it shoudlnt be "freqeuntly" used
neither should human shampoo or bodywash...the reason ebing is that an animals body ph is differnt form a humans, they also need some oil ot remain on the skin ot protect from drying...once in a while would be fine though.

just make sure ot keep it away from his eyes, keep water out of his ears and make sure to rinse VERY VERY well, residual soap is a huge cause of skn issues

Old 06-20-2011, 07:06 AM

105 posts, read 573,566 times
He's only a little dusty and though he's not his usual sweet smelling self, I decided to let him bathe himself and not put him through the trauma. Just hope he didn't get any fleas. No evidence of that yet.

Thank you all for your responses.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
you can get a dry bath product, its a powder you dust on, rub/comb in and it works quite well...
or use cat frinedly bath wipes.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:42 AM

555 posts, read 1,573,144 times
Use J&J Baby Shampoo when giving your cat a bath.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:18 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,284,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wGoshen View Post
Use J&J Baby Shampoo when giving your cat a bath.
I had a long technical explanation of how DAWN removes oil but you can find it online. Basically it takes an oil to break down an oil.

DAWN is primarily made from petroleum products. Anionic surfactants, example, alkyl dimethyl amine oxide, buffering agents, ethyl glycol and other chemicals. The exact formula is proprietary P&G info.

Website CorporateWatch.org/ukLid=288 examines P&G link with BP oil.

Marine life covered in petroleum are already so compromised that DAWN is the probably the least of their worries.

The added stress of contact with humans and the actual process, take a toll.

In one study (guardian.co.uk/environment2010/may/28/oil spill- and-birds) it was observed that same species birds cleaned with DAWN survived an average of seven days compared to unaffected same species, with average 599.

The images of oil-soaked birds being given a second chance by DAWN has been a part of our collective conscience since we were children. It gives us comfort when faced with devastation beyond our control.

I had to asked myself, after watching a fake news story on the Colbert Report, re; DAWN and the BP oil spill.

Why had I allowed P&G (manufacturers and purchasers of pet food brands/some subjected to recall,) and their corporate agenda to become separated from reality?

DAWNs' cleaning action strips oil, I washed my hair in DAWN last night to see the effects, my hair looks and feels like straw.

I no longer feel that DAWN is an appropriate, necessary or safe product to use on any animal not already dying from being covered in petroleum products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats