Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 21,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustgyrl View Post
Thank you all again so much. Your wise and kind words have given me much to think about.

I've decided to spend this weekend with Chloe, really listening to her and reading her body language, and letting her know she is loved and that everything will be ok (I think I need that more than she does).

Even if "right now" isn't her time, I know that she is close. She is tired. I need to be strong for her, and that means making tough decisions. Maybe I'm the one reluctant to let go, not her.

I'll keep you posted and in my thoughts.

And yes I'll give Chloe a pet for you
Hi, I am in exactly the same place with a twelve year old cat, we just brought her home from a 4 day vet stay to get her rehydrated and i'm afraid the same pattern (diarrhea everywhere, constant vomiting, eventual weight loss and dehydration) is going to repeat. If the cat's life is like this, it's hard to see how the cat is happy, would you be happy having liquid crap for months so bad you couldn't control it, and getting slowly dehydrated and emaciated?

Just base your decision on the cat's quality of life is all I can say, it is natural that no matter what we do we will feel guilty.

I think the people acting like you are being selfish aren't worth listening to though, they don't know what they are talking about and haven't been in your shoes. Just listen to your animal and your heart. This is a painful place to be, I know the feeling. Please keep updated!

I've had some minimal luck with diet changes, but eventually symptoms return, and all the vet does is siphon money for tests, it's really sad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 05:46 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
I just dealt with a cat who was fading away for about a year or so. I had made the choice not to go through any extreme measures with him (cancer), and by the end, it got to the point where I just automatically picked up a paper towel when I walked through the door, knowing what was coming. Of course, it was tiring for me, and I'm sure WAY more tiring for him.

I never actually spoke about it to others when it was happening, but man, was it tough on me. After going through that, I would never think to talk down to someone going through the same thing. After all, you KNOW your cat. You KNOW that she is fading. You just do what you can do...day to day.

I wish you the best, and only hope when the time comes, it came as quickly for as it did my little Jethro.

I'll never forget "the day". I came home from work and saw my boy laying by the stove. He gave me "the look". I just knew that he was telling me that living was just WAY too tiring for him. The only advice I can give you is to trust, in your heart, that SHE'LL let you know when it's time. I do firmly believe that this is the last gift that our animal friends give to us.

Best wishes to you. I know that this is a terrible place to be in.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 354,502 times
I just wanted to give all the people who shared their stories and advice with me an update.

About a week and a half ago, and after much deliberation, stalling, and just plain hoping for a miracle, I decided to have Chloe euthanized. I still had my doubts, wondered if I should wait longer, try more steroids, etc, but in my gut I knew that all I would be doing was prolonging her misery and also setting the stage for a possibly more traumatic and painful departure from this world.

It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I cried the during the procedure and for days afterwards. When you have a companion for that long they become one with your life. It really is like losing a family member.

For anyone considering it for a chronically ill pet, euthanasia is a very, very humane way to end an animal's suffering. The hardest part is for us, the humans, because we can't say "I'm sorry" or let them know we love them in a language they explicitly understand while it's happening. At least, that was the hardest part for me. But they do not feel a thing and pass with dignity.

She's over the rainbow in a meadow, young and spry and chubby, chasing mice and purring contently in the sun. And one day I'll see her again

Karen

Old 11-24-2010, 03:36 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
The hardest part is for us, the humans, because we can't say "I'm sorry" or let them know we love them in a language they explicitly understand while it's happening.
Believe me - they know and are truly grateful.

Sorry to hear about Chloe, but I can tell that she was ready, even if you weren't. Thanks for letting us know. I know that a lot of us were thinking about the two of you.

She will be forever in your heart.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 21,748 times
My cat was nearly 16 and we put her down today. She suffered with IBD for years we had tests and treatments and have spent £1000s on her over the years.

I cleared up after the sick and poo, bought her expensive food and lived with it. But today she had another bout of upset tummy in her basket and was vomiting up fluid. I have a 7 year old so I do not want the cat in the house when she is like this. She looked so uncomfortable walking it tore me up inside,her bottom protruded quite badly and she had blood in her stools at times. The last time she was this ill we spent £100s on medication.

I decided I couldnt cope with the mess anymore. Weve had her since she was 6 weeks old and she was my other baby.

Dont feel bad about having her put down. My cat had nightly cuddles with me too she was very shy and nervous and only trusted me. I feel terrible and guilty about having her put down, but there comes a time when your not keeping the cat alive for the cat but alive for purly selfish reasons, cats are very proud animals and when you have wiped your cats bottom (not a pleasent experience for either of us) as many times as I have enough is enough.

I hope this helps you decide what is best for you as a family. We love our animals but sometimes putting them to sleep is the only way that is best for them and us.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:11 AM

455 posts, read 1,238,367 times
Quote:
I just wanted to give all the people who shared their stories and advice with me an update.

About a week and a half ago, and after much deliberation, stalling, and just plain hoping for a miracle, I decided to have Chloe euthanized. I still had my doubts, wondered if I should wait longer, try more steroids, etc, but in my gut I knew that all I would be doing was prolonging her misery and also setting the stage for a possibly more traumatic and painful departure from this world.

It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I cried the during the procedure and for days afterwards. When you have a companion for that long they become one with your life. It really is like losing a family member.

For anyone considering it for a chronically ill pet, euthanasia is a very, very humane way to end an animal's suffering. The hardest part is for us, the humans, because we can't say "I'm sorry" or let them know we love them in a language they explicitly understand while it's happening. At least, that was the hardest part for me. But they do not feel a thing and pass with dignity.

She's over the rainbow in a meadow, young and spry and chubby, chasing mice and purring contently in the sun. And one day I'll see her again

Karen
It is the hardest decision to make, no matter what the circumstance, we all feel "what if..."

We have to console ourselves in the knowledge they are free from pain and suffering, and as you say pass with dignity.

RIP little girl.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 21,418 times
I have an elderly cat approximately 14 years old named Cassie, she has thyroid problems and is on medication for this. She has dementia and sometimes the meow drives me mad, she is so persistent and everytime I make my lunch guess who is waiting for her share of food. While she is happy and eating I could not euthaniase her. She made a fair poo mess this am missed the kitty litter but her eye sight is not too good. Please do not be so hard on the girl who is thinking of euthanising her cat, obviously the cat suffers terribly with diahorrea. Sounds like she has done everything she can do to make her cat comfortable, there comes a time where the cat has no quality of life and if this happens to any elderly animal then I think it is time to euthaniase the animal. It is a hard decision and a very sad time for the cat and herself, but remember the good times that you had with your beloved cat. I know that I will have to make this decision soon as it is a day-to-day thing with Cassie but while she is eating and being cheeky I will keep enjoying her company. I love all animals and only wish I could save all the animals that are being put down because the animal welfare people cannot find a home for them.
The last message from me: love all your animals like there was no tomorrow as you never know what is around the corner. From Sue the animal lover.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 22,940 times
It's been a few months since the last post, but I had to comment because I had an experience very similar to yours, wanderlstgyrl.
I had a 15 year old male cat with serious IBD or possibly intestinal cancer, plus a nasty blood infection . Also, the vets suggested weekly sub-cutaneous fluids for an indefinite period (this was a sign that things weren't going too well).
This went on for about 6 months, but towards the end, the poor guy was miserable, and the medications seemed to stop having any effect. I rushed him to the vet one evening when I found him sprawled on the floor of my bedroom, looking in terrible shape, with a yellowish nasal discharge. The vet agreed his condition was getting worse and was also extremely concerned that the meds stopped working. He gave me two options: try a chemotherapy drug (which the vet admitted was expensive and no guarantee), or, to let him go. Like you and your cat, we were both tired. I thought the vet was going to push the new treatment he offered, but he actually agreed with me and told me that was the best decision as the poor guy had been through a lot with visits, different meds, IV fluids, etc; that same evening, he was gone. The procedure went smoothly and he went peacefully while I held him. It was the first time I decided to euthanise a pet, and an extremely difficult decision that still haunts me, but: 1) I'm glad he went peacefully, 2) I'm satisfied he was given a good 15 years 3) he'll never be forgotten by me in this life, and 4) though I'm not much of a religious guy, I have this little hope itching inside of me that, I'll see him again.
Don't let all the judgemental commenters get to you. It's not about ruined property, carpets, etc. Animals don't have this morbid fear of death like many humans do, and they know when the time comes. I know my cat did. It's cruel to have a terminally ill pet to endure nasty tasting medicine that might have other side effects (and worse with cats, since they HATE being forced to take meds) thus adding more to their misery. I hated myself for weeks, but I know my friend was grateful that he was able to go with some amount of dignity.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:17 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone -

I have a 15yo cat who has had IBD for close to a year now. Her main sympton is chronic and persistent (liquid consistency) diarrhea. Originally I took her in for a battery of tests and blood work, which all came back normal except that the vet determined her lower intesting was swollen and that she most likely was suffering from IBD. At that time I tried switching her food to healthier brands, and while she would get better for a few days, she eventually became completely intolerent. While I was comfortable with the thought of steroids, I did agree to trying a trial steroid that only lasted for a few days in the system, to see how her reaction was. I didn't help, so I didn't pursue more steroid use.

Since then I have tried every quality store bought food under the sun (all meat types as well). I've settled with Evo, but at this point it doesn't matter what I feed her, her symptoms are constantly present. I tried to make raw food as well. I fed it to her for about a week and it did no good.

A few weeks ago I thought she might pass away. She grew very thin, listless and wobbly on her feet. She had almost stopped eating completely. My boyfriend decided to take action and began feeding her all sorts of treats (the kind cat food that aggravate her the most) which she happily gobbled down. Yes she went to the bathroom A LOT, but she did put on a few pounds.

Fast forward to today. Last night within a half hour she vomited and had a liquid diarhhea episode (these typically occur 5 times per day) which got all over her paws so I had to wash them in the sink (happens a lot). She's always drinking a TON of water, always hungry since everything goes right through her.

I'm tired. She's tired. I really don't have the will to continue on like this, as my quality of home life has dropped dramatically in having to spend so much time cleaning and caring for her. I love her so much but I've made an appoitment to have her put to sleep on Friday. I guess I just want to know that it's ok to "give up", that other people have done this, and that I'm not missing out on some miracle cure they may have recently come up with.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story
Karen
I hope I'm not reading this too late. I would try SLIPPERY ELM! I've used it numerous times with digestive problems. It is a mucilaginous herb which normalizes the digestive tract. I would also make SURE the food you are giving her has ZERO grains in it. But for now, what I would do is take her off all food for a few days to give her digestive tract a rest and give her nothing but Super Delicious Nutritious Chicken Broth in Anitra Frazier's book; water with Slippery Elm sprinkled on top of the soup which comes out like jellied consume. I would give her 1/3 of the human dose for now and then for maintenance put her on 1/8.
Anitra Frazier also recommends Slippery Elm. I've posted the recipe in this forum before......I'll try and find the old post.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Natural-Ca.../dp/0452289750

Whoops! I just saw that this thread started two years ago. I hope you found a natural solution because it is definitely curable.

Here is the post that has the recipe. https://www.city-data.com/forum/24509378-post14.html

Old 04-07-2013, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 20,741 times
It is ok to put an older cat down who has lost it's bodily functions. It sounds as if you have given the cat many wonderful years and there is no reason to feel guilty. Feeling sad, yes - since losing a pet can be as devistating as losing a family member; but certainly don't feel guilty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats