Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 PM

8 posts, read 354,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
As my cats get older (15, 12, 9) I think about these things, and I don't know the answer for myself or for you.

I read on this website: Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) in Cats that the change in diet should include only foods the cat has never had before, and that if it's going to help it will start to make a difference in about two weeks. I might try the home-made meat diet (maybe duck) for two weeks to see what would happen. I wouldn't include potato, though, although the website gives it as an example. Cats don't need potatoes; they need protein.

The website also lists possible treatments besides the steroids. It says, "One of the most common mistakes in treating inflammatory bowel disease is to stop medication too early." So it might help to try again, if you can afford it.

We love our cats like children, but they are not children. There is nothing wrong with having her put to sleep, and I'm sorry you're getting so much judgment on this forum.
Your comments are SO much appreciated, thank you.

I have tried the full gamut of dietary changes for Chloe (that was my preference before putting her on steroids). We tried duck, venison, etc. We made ground up pork first with some greens and veggies, then without. I tried a vitamin supplement but she wouldn't touch the food if she smelled it. Sometimes she would show improvement for a few days but then ultimately would go back to rejecting the food. Months ago I thought EVO was going to be a lifesaver, but she soon rejected the duck variety and now the chicken/turkey formula too.

I have read very mixed reactions to the steroids. When I take her to the vet I am going discuss her situation and the possibility of trying a longer lasting steroid. The short-term steriod lasted in her system for about a week and she should no improvement, even though the vet said there should be some sign of improvement. She drinks sooo much water now I can't believe her kidneys are holding up; something that scares me about the steroids because they can cause increased thirst.

As I said in my other post, I just don't think she's happy being alive right now. When I say I wish she was more ill that way I could put her down, I don't mean it like I want her to be sick, I just want to feel sure about my decision, for all our benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 01:35 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,324,281 times
This was put to me at my vet by my favorite vet tech when I had to have my cat with bone cancer pass into the other world- Dignity. And when a cat looses his or her dignity it's not what the essence of a cat is. It's something that stuck with me and my cat had lost her dignity. She'd been having cat box issues, not eating issues, pain issues, mobility issues and was slowly withering away her dignity.

But I can speak from expericence it's not an easy thing to have to go through and they let you know when it's time and she let me know when she was ready.

I wish you the best at this time.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:01 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
i'm another one constantly cleaning walls and floors..... also with 4 litter boxes out for 2 cats.....

first thing i do when i get home from work is check for poop on the floor by the litter boxes ..... also when i get up in the morning..... and my skinny little max cat can have the stinkiest and gassiest poop i think i have ever dealt with in 45 years of having cats...... but these kitties are my family and sometimes family is not always pleasant to deal with.....

Old 10-19-2010, 02:03 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustgyrl View Post
Thank you, MssNM.

I thought about putting something around the wall and litterbox area to make clean up easier.
Cut up a vinyl shower curtain (go to the dollar store) and tape up the walls and around the litter box. You can also lay the curtains on the floor and tape them together. Buy dark colored towels (again at the dollar store) and throw them around like rugs.

You can wash them all in the washing machine with oxyclean - just don't machine dry the shower curtains!

Old 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz View Post
when a cat looses his or her dignity it's not what the essence of a cat is.
Wonderfully stated.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:05 PM

38 posts, read 97,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz View Post
This was put to me at my vet by my favorite vet tech when I had to have my cat with bone cancer pass into the other world- Dignity. And when a cat looses his or her dignity it's not what the essence of a cat is. It's something that stuck with me and my cat had lost her dignity. She'd been having cat box issues, not eating issues, pain issues, mobility issues and was slowly withering away her dignity.

But I can speak from expericence it's not an easy thing to have to go through and they let you know when it's time and she let me know when she was ready.

I wish you the best at this time.
I agree with you on the cats dignity. I think that is more important than our feelings. Its a very hard decision to make. I had to make this decision with one of my cats several years ago. He started peeing all over the house. He had kidney disease, I decided to put him to sleep because I had three small children at the time. I didn't think it was healthy for them to be crawling around on the carpets when the cat was doing this.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose0 View Post
I agree with you on the cats dignity. I think that is more important than our feelings. Its a very hard decision to make. I had to make this decision with one of my cats several years ago. He started peeing all over the house. He had kidney disease, I decided to put him to sleep because I had three small children at the time. I didn't think it was healthy for them to be crawling around on the carpets when the cat was doing this.

Sorry to hear about the kidney diesase and I bet it was a hard choice to make. But cats are dignified creatures as we all know. And I know it's hard for us to understand that we know them so well when they do have their dignity and then they can lose it very fast and it's not the same cat we once knew and loved.

My cat with cancer was just in an undigified manner and she told me when it was her time. I felt so bad, but I also know she's in a place with no pain.

And as we all say

It's never easy.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Wonderfully stated.
Thank you kindly.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
If she is sad and listless, then it is time to let her go, IMHO. I base my decisions on what my pet is feeling and she sounds like she is ready. It is the last, best thing you can do for her, to let her go without pain and in dignity. Cats are stoic and rarely show pain, by the way. When they do, it's because the pain is overwhelming. <<hugs>>

Old 10-19-2010, 06:12 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,388,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustgyrl View Post

.....Respectfully snipped....

I don't care if you have a high opinion of me or not. You are not in my shoes. I have tolerated my cats condition FAR longer than most people would.
It's such a personal choice, and if you seek advice and from a cat lover's forum such as this, you have to expect some emotional responses that may not be what you want to hear. That said, I've read of people who give their HEALTHY cats to the city shelter because they are tired of them. Plus, they will claim the cat is a stray to avoid intake fees! So I think you are to be commended for your efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats