Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2020, 05:16 PM

13,065 posts, read 7,502,913 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting topic broader terms of technology vs maintaining the same technologies.

In sweeping terms, Society will need to come to grips in having doing some of things that we humans used to do. Changes will occur where people will become unemployed and will no longer be employed. BTDT.

So as for ICE sunsetting in 2035:
We have long seen the consolidation of gas filling stations to just a handful in to city.
Auto mechanics will need to be retrained.
Liquid fossil fuel infrastructure will change.
GPS and self-driving will change highways.
Need for transportation will change as we see in this CV episode.
Less people needed to do the same things.

Society requires less people to do the same things Sept 2020 vs Jan 2020.
But Society needs and wants people to work and to have a feeling of self & accomplishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 05:37 PM

6,790 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
This is an interesting topic broader terms of technology vs maintaining the same technologies.

In sweeping terms, Society will need to come to grips in having doing some of things that we humans used to do. Changes will occur where people will become unemployed and will no longer be employed. BTDT.

So as for ICE sunsetting in 2035:
We have long seen the consolidation of gas filling stations to just a handful in to city.
Auto mechanics will need to be retrained.
Liquid fossil fuel infrastructure will change.
GPS and self-driving will change highways.
Need for transportation will change as we see in this CV episode.
Less people needed to do the same things.

Society requires less people to do the same things Sept 2020 vs Jan 2020.
But Society needs and wants people to work and to have a feeling of self & accomplishment.

New technologies are supposed to take over because they're better not because a politician bans all the alternatives. Nobody had to ban VHS, nobody had to ban the fax machine, nobody had to ban gramophones. They were replaced because the new technology made sense and provided a net benefit.

This type of stuff is just social engineering via bullying tactics. Personally I am not married to the idea of a combustion engine vehicle, I've never been a car nut. If electric vehicles are the better deal then I'll get one. This is basically Newsom saying that he doesn't think electric cars will be better across the board by 2035 which would be a pretty sad indictment of Mr Elon Musk's business.

I do think there's a certain irony in a state with a notoriously crappy utility system telling folks to rely on charging their cars using the same electricity grid that's infamous across the country for its brown outs & black outs.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:44 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,266,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Not surprised at all. The writing has been on the wall for years now. Good thing Tesla just announced the production of a $25,000 model ford ale in 2022.

I think long term electric makes sense. But make no mistake there will be challenges in achieving this. On the bright side we should have low unemployment with all the infrastructure that will need to be built up.

I’m sure their will be hefty fees tied to registration as well. Otherwise what would prevent people from buying new or even 2-3 year old ICE vehicles in other states and bringing them here.

Does electric work better with autonomous driving over ICE vehicles with autonomous driving abilities? If so that would really be a large reason as well to go all electric.
Yes

Old 09-23-2020, 05:46 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,266,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
New technologies are supposed to take over because they're better not because a politician bans all the alternatives. Nobody had to ban VHS, nobody had to ban the fax machine, nobody had to ban gramophones. They were replaced because the new technology made sense and provided a net benefit.

This type of stuff is just social engineering via bullying tactics. Personally I am not married to the idea of a combustion engine vehicle, I've never been a car nut. If electric vehicles are the better deal then I'll get one. This is basically Newsom saying that he doesn't think electric cars will be better across the board by 2035 which would be a pretty sad indictment of Mr Elon Musk's business.

I do think there's a certain irony in a state with a notoriously crappy utility system telling folks to rely on charging their cars using the same electricity grid that's infamous across the country for its brown outs & black outs.

It's a sad indictment of the other players in the EV business outside of Tesla and a few China companies, and I guess VW.

The technology will be superior, but the legacy auto companies will have many stranded assets are not heavily motivated to convert to EV, even if it is superior.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:50 PM

4,317 posts, read 6,280,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
The technology will be superior, but the legacy auto companies will have many stranded assets are not heavily motivated to convert to EV, even if it is superior.
Hence why government regulation in this space is required. Companies won't make the move on their own unless there is a financial reason to do so.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:14 PM

6,790 posts, read 4,233,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Hence why government regulation in this space is required. Companies won't make the move on their own unless there is a financial reason to do so.

The companies are in it to make money. They don't hang on to combustion engines out of sentimental reasons. All the legacy car companies have jumped on the e-train because Tesla sells. They're all in the race to supplant Tesla already. If even more consumers decided to go with electric cars, they'd put most of their money there and in 10-15 years it'd be all electric cars.

And you know what..if it's 2037 and there's a couple old geezers still buying combustion cars..does anyone think that'd make a difference for the climate? Not one effing bit. This ain't about the climate, this is about Newsom showing his base how 'progressive' he is.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:20 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,450,423 times
Quote:
So, if others are jumping off a cliff, we should follow suit? Showing global leadership does change how others behave. China is moving towards a more renewable energy based economy. Sure, they have a long way to go (as do we), but everyone needs to start somewhere.

Sure, but setting the bar to the stratosphere isn't a good starting point. In fact I'd say making the goals too lofty does more to discourage effort than inspire it. Technology for ic engine vehicles is leaps and bound what it was just thirty years ago. We can squeeze a ton of energy out of a drop of fuel these days and burn it cleaner than ever before. There's no need to put a hard cap on when that technology has to end completely to be replaced by another.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:23 PM

4,317 posts, read 6,280,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
There's no need to put a hard cap on when that technology has to end completely to be replaced by another.
In most cases, I'd agree with you. Not when we have the environment at stake. We have to take a much stronger collective effort (globally) to make a difference. For those that say California alone won't solve the world's problems, I also agree. However, if everyone has the approach that we do, nothing will improve and we'll truly spiral out of control with global warming (as if we haven't already). This is an urgent time where drastic measures are needed. You can second guess Newsom's motives (I think he's sort of a sleazy politician myself), but his actions do help to move the needle in the right direction.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:26 PM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Sounds like a great, quiet lifestyle.

I was chatting with a co-worker who moved from the Bay Area to the Dallas area a few years ago, for the same reasons. He was raving about being able to buy two homes, including one with a ranch. I think that's great if that's the type of lifestyle you're looking for.

As for me, I need to be closer to more civilization. I'm a city person at heart. While I don't live in the middle of SF as I once did (due to raising a family), I like being close enough to be able to access all of the amenities. Not saying I love everything about it here and we're honestly considering leaving. The fire situation we've had as of recent times has really given my wife and I pause into whether CA is where we want to be long-term.

I do agree that there are areas of political mis-management and fiscally, California is being managed a lot worse than other states. At the same time, I find much of the socially conservative dogma coming out of the right very stifling as well. I think I would have trouble relating with people if most of those around me were highly religious, far right leaning ideologs. Which brings me back to my earlier question, where is this utopia?
It sure as hell isn't here. Riding my bike is like a suicide mission. I'd like to have a year go by without tweakers or illegals breaking into my house or stealing something out of my front yard. I can deal with heat, bugs, cold but POS humans I can't tolerate. And for that, CA has all of them you can ever want. I live in a neighborhood where the average home is a million dollars no matter how much we throw at these problems, they still exist. I'll gladly go back to where neighbors, even those you don't know, can be trusted.

I ask myself every day, why am I still here? Once my kids are out of college I am OUT. The South or places like Utah have the nicest people I have ever met. Just today my wife had to deal with some road raging psycho because she wouldn't speed. She had it on her phone and it gave me chills. If I actually grabbed my handgun and met her out front (the a hole kept following her flipping her off and throwing stuff at her car) I'd be the one paying the price.

Old 09-23-2020, 07:09 PM

172 posts, read 362,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It sure as hell isn't here. Riding my bike is like a suicide mission. I'd like to have a year go by without tweakers or illegals breaking into my house or stealing something out of my front yard. I can deal with heat, bugs, cold but POS humans I can't tolerate. And for that, CA has all of them you can ever want. I live in a neighborhood where the average home is a million dollars no matter how much we throw at these problems, they still exist. I'll gladly go back to where neighbors, even those you don't know, can be trusted.

I ask myself every day, why am I still here? Once my kids are out of college I am OUT. The South or places like Utah have the nicest people I have ever met. Just today my wife had to deal with some road raging psycho because she wouldn't speed. She had it on her phone and it gave me chills. If I actually grabbed my handgun and met her out front (the a hole kept following her flipping her off and throwing stuff at her car) I'd be the one paying the price.
Since I work remotely, I no longer have to commute to Inglewood. Some posters here would expect me to ride my bike smiling through the hoods of LA to get to my job in Inglewood at 4:30AM. LOL!!! This shows how out of touch some people here are.

Then you have the people who grow the crops in this state who aren't going to listen to the empty suits in Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California