Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 12:45 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,267,603 times

Advertisements

https://www.radio.com/kcbsradio/news...d-cars-by-2035

California is always a leader in environmental actions, other states will follow later. Still I am surprised at how aggressive.

My prediction of 50% new cars being EVs by 2029 is looking pretty good.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-27-2022 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: Merged 2 threads on same topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 12:54 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Pretty much just a gesture since California's vehicle sales are headed that direction anyways and would likely hit virtually entirely ZEV for new vehicle sales before then.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:11 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,267,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Pretty much just a gesture since California's vehicle sales are headed that direction anyways and would likely hit virtually entirely ZEV for new vehicle sales before then.
Yeah but I think important because California is generally a leader in this area and some other states will eventually follow their lead, such as CARB states.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:16 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Germany has that mandate set for 2030.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:31 PM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times
Reasonable.
If in year 1900, anyone would object to banning new purchased horse drawn carriages by 1915?
Amazing how the World went from 100% land transportation to air warfare in just 11 years.
Amazing how World went from powered transportation ~1820 to reliable unmanned spaced missions in 2010.
Amazing how World went from flame lighting to Quantum lights in <100 year.
Too many moving parts in ICE vs Electric Motor.

Old 09-23-2020, 02:38 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
I wonder if they considered all of the condo and apartment buildings that don't have the electrical infrastructure to accommodate chargers. I am in that situation now, albeit in Maui. The cost to add charging facilities in existing parking structures and lots may well be astronomical.

My guess is that parallel hybrid technology will be mandated long before electric only: Use electricity as long as possible with the ability to switch to gasoline when the battery is discharged. This makes better sense!

In any event when 2035 rolls around, he will no longer be the governor and the law can be rescinded by his successor.

I.E. this was primarily a publicity stunt.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 09-23-2020 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: Added a line

Old 09-23-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I wonder if they considered all of the condo and apartment buildings that don't have the electrical infrastructure to accommodate chargers. I am in that situation now, albeit in Maui. The cost to add charging facilities in existing parking structures and lots may well be astronomical.

My guess is that parallel hybrid technology will be mandated long before electric only: Use electricity as long as possible with the ability to switch to gasoline when the battery is discharged. This makes better sense!

In any event when 2035 rolls around, he will no longer be the governor and the law can be rescinded by his successor.

I.E. this was primarily a publicity stunt.
It can't really be that astronomical. For a place like Maui where land and gas is expensive, the freeing up of land used for gas stations and the replacement of gas with solar panels and batteries would probably make it worthwhile for some changes to be put in place. Worse comes to worst, you'll just end up fast charging in parking lots that aren't part of your condo.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:16 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
I would never go to Kalifornia anyway.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:37 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It can't really be that astronomical. For a place like Maui where land and gas is expensive, the freeing up of land used for gas stations and the replacement of gas with solar panels and batteries would probably make it worthwhile for some changes to be put in place. Worse comes to worst, you'll just end up fast charging in parking lots that aren't part of your condo.
In my case I only drive about 50-150 miles per week. To install solar and electrical for me and most of my snowbird neighbors would never pan out economically. At this point a hybrid vehicle is not even worth the additional cost. When the government forces the issue then it will happen.

Meanwhile, the final years for the sale of gasoline-powered cars may well be the best sales years ever for automakers.

Old 09-23-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
In my case I only drive about 50-150 miles per week. To install solar and electrical for me and most of my snowbird neighbors would never pan out economically. At this point a hybrid vehicle is not even worth the additional cost. When the government forces the issue then it will happen.

Meanwhile, the final years for the sale of gasoline-powered cars may well be the best sales years ever for automakers.
Does your house use electricity as well? I guess if you're only there for a tiny bit of the year, it wouldn't make sense unless you could sell that electricity somewhere. I wonder if Maui is majority snowbirds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive