Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 10:19 AM

11,092 posts, read 6,982,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was just explaining why you've never heard it before. It's not part of "mainstream" Buddhism, i.e. the historical branches of the tradition.
LOL understood. Goes to show that with respect to every religion the human mind puts its own twist on things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 10:20 AM

11,092 posts, read 6,982,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Buddhism made no such predictions.
Vedas, on the other hand, did mention Buddha, Jesus and Mahomet, as coming prophets. There is one more left to come.
There is oral tradition that Buddha, when he approached the heavenly gates, turned and looked back at the suffering on Earth and refused to leave it, until the last human suffering is over.
I can see, where the OP legend came from.
Thanks for posting. Now that I did hear back in the day; had forgotten it.

Old 04-24-2024, 12:51 PM

51,055 posts, read 24,563,121 times
Quote:
Vedas, on the other hand, did mention Buddha, Jesus and Mahomet, as coming prophets. There is one more left to come.
There is oral tradition that Buddha, when he approached the heavenly gates, turned and looked back at the suffering on Earth and refused to leave it, until the last human suffering is over.
heavenly gates...in Buddhism? What tradition is that? Nothing I've ever heard of in Theravada. But give me a source and I'll consider it. And btw, I've always been taught in Buddhism that heaven is something VERY different than the christian version.

Old 04-26-2024, 06:58 PM

16,135 posts, read 7,123,295 times
Quote:
Nope. No such prediction in any of the Vedas. Where do you get your information from? One more yet to come is true, but it is not in the Vedas.

Old 04-27-2024, 06:54 PM

19,129 posts, read 27,755,241 times
According to Bhavishya Purana in the Prati Sarag Parv III Khand 3 Adhay 3 Shloka 5 to 8.
“A malecha (belonging to a foreign country and speaking a foreign language) spiritual teacher will appear with his companions. His name will be Mohammad.Raja (Bhoj) after giving this Maha Dev Arab (of angelic disposition) a bath in the Panchgavya and the Ganga water (i.e. purifying him of all sins) offered him the present of his sincere devotion and showing him all reverence said, “I make obeisance to thee. O ye! The pride of mankind, the dweller in Arabia, Ye have collected a great force to kill the Devil and you yourself have been protected from the malecha opponents.”
The main points mentioned in the Kuntap Suktas i.e. in Atharvaveda book 20 Hymn 127 verses 1-13 are:

Mantra1
He is Narashansah or the praised one (Muhammad). He is Kaurama: the prince of peace or the emigrant, who is safe, even amongst a host of 60,090 enemies.
Mantra2
He is a camel-riding Rishi, whose chariot touches the heaven.
Mantra3
He is Mamah Rishi who is given a hundred gold coins, ten chaplets (necklaces), three hundred good steeds and ten thousand cows
A similar prophecy is also found in Rigveda Book I, Hymn 53 verse 9:The Sanskrit word used is Sushrama, which means praiseworthy or well praised which in Arabic means Muhammad (PBUH))
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is also prophesised in the Samveda Book II Hymn 6 verse 8:

“Ahmed acquired from his Lord the knowledge of eternal law. I received light from him just as from the sun.”

In Purana (a holy book of Hindus) it is stated that Kalki Avatar would be the last messenger (prophet) of God in this world for the Guidance of the whole world and all human beings.

It is stated in Vedas that God would teach Kalki Avatar through His messenger (angel) in a cave. Allah taught Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), through His messenger Jibraeel (Gabriel) in a cave known as Ghaar-e-Hiraa.-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.stephen-knapp.com/jesus_...literature.htm
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord Buddha is mentioned as the incarnation of Vishnu in the list of incarnations mentioned in the 3rd chapter of the 1st canto.

tataḥ kalau sampravṛtte

sammohāya sura-dviṣām

buddho nāmnāñjana-sutaḥ

kīkaṭeṣu bhaviṣyati

Then, in the beginning of Kali-yuga, the Lord will appear as Lord Buddha, the son of Añjanā, in the province of Gayā, just for the purpose of deluding those who are envious of the faithful theist.

Also, it was written much before Lord Buddha's appearance. Vyasa wrote the scripture around 3000 BCE. Buddha appeared around 25 centuries later.

Old 04-27-2024, 07:45 PM

Quote:
According to Bhavishya Purana in the Prati Sarag Parv III Khand 3 Adhay 3 Shloka 5 to 8.
“A malecha (belonging to a foreign country and speaking a foreign language) spiritual teacher will appear with his companions. His name will be Mohammad.Raja (Bhoj) after giving this Maha Dev Arab (of angelic disposition) a bath in the Panchgavya and the Ganga water (i.e. purifying him of all sins) offered him the present of his sincere devotion and showing him all reverence said, “I make obeisance to thee. O ye! The pride of mankind, the dweller in Arabia, Ye have collected a great force to kill the Devil and you yourself have been protected from the malecha opponents.”
The main points mentioned in the Kuntap Suktas i.e. in Atharvaveda book 20 Hymn 127 verses 1-13 are:

Mantra1
He is Narashansah or the praised one (Muhammad). He is Kaurama: the prince of peace or the emigrant, who is safe, even amongst a host of 60,090 enemies.
Mantra2
He is a camel-riding Rishi, whose chariot touches the heaven.
Mantra3
He is Mamah Rishi who is given a hundred gold coins, ten chaplets (necklaces), three hundred good steeds and ten thousand cows
A similar prophecy is also found in Rigveda Book I, Hymn 53 verse 9:The Sanskrit word used is Sushrama, which means praiseworthy or well praised which in Arabic means Muhammad (PBUH))
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is also prophesised in the Samveda Book II Hymn 6 verse 8:

“Ahmed acquired from his Lord the knowledge of eternal law. I received light from him just as from the sun.”

In Purana (a holy book of Hindus) it is stated that Kalki Avatar would be the last messenger (prophet) of God in this world for the Guidance of the whole world and all human beings.

It is stated in Vedas that God would teach Kalki Avatar through His messenger (angel) in a cave. Allah taught Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), through His messenger Jibraeel (Gabriel) in a cave known as Ghaar-e-Hiraa.-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.stephen-knapp.com/jesus_...literature.htm
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord Buddha is mentioned as the incarnation of Vishnu in the list of incarnations mentioned in the 3rd chapter of the 1st canto.

tataḥ kalau sampravṛtte

sammohāya sura-dviṣām

buddho nāmnāñjana-sutaḥ

kīkaṭeṣu bhaviṣyati

Then, in the beginning of Kali-yuga, the Lord will appear as Lord Buddha, the son of Añjanā, in the province of Gayā, just for the purpose of deluding those who are envious of the faithful theist.

Also, it was written much before Lord Buddha's appearance. Vyasa wrote the scripture around 3000 BCE. Buddha appeared around 25 centuries later.
Kalki is indeed the next avatar, the 10 th and last. That is not from the vedas, but purana.
Buddha is considered an avatar but Indian Buddhists reject that and consider it an appropriation.
The rest of it is bogus, i am sorry to say.

Old 04-28-2024, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Kalki is indeed the next avatar, the 10 th and last. That is not from the vedas, but purana.
Buddha is considered an avatar but Indian Buddhists reject that and consider it an appropriation.
The rest of it is bogus, i am sorry to say.
Eta: while only 10 avatars are “official” whatever that means, documented in the texts, many humans, who have inspired a great following are also called an avatar. I think this is more “like an avatar” rather than the actual avatar that only reference Vishnu. Satya Sai Baba for instance is considered an avatar of Shiva. Similarly Hindus would consider Buddha as an avatar, which makes Indian Buddhists very angry.

Old 04-28-2024, 10:10 AM

I'll stay with Lakshmi Narayana Das, a brahmin, on this matter, than with your opinion. Unfortunately, language, he speaks, will not be understood by you, for reference, so no point. Oh, well. Discourse is on Kali Yuga, Adam and Eve, Jesus, etc..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIXj...Johqu&index=10

Old 04-28-2024, 10:17 AM

And as the one to come, I was not referring to Kalki, but to Maitreya

There are many bodhisattvas. Maitreya is the Buddha of the future, who will be born to teach enlightenment in the next age. According to Mahayana teachings, a Buddha is first born as a bodhisattva, and then after many lifetimes, progresses on to Buddhahood.

https://www.khanacademy.org/humaniti...20the%20Buddha.

There are 28 Buddhas, Sukyamuni Buddha being one of the current age and the 29th, Maitreya, to come in the new age.

Old 04-28-2024, 02:48 PM

51,055 posts, read 24,563,121 times
Quote:
And as the one to come, I was not referring to Kalki, but to Maitreya

There are many bodhisattvas. Maitreya is the Buddha of the future, who will be born to teach enlightenment in the next age. According to Mahayana teachings, a Buddha is first born as a bodhisattva, and then after many lifetimes, progresses on to Buddhahood.

https://www.khanacademy.org/humaniti...20the%20Buddha.

There are 28 Buddhas, Sukyamuni Buddha being one of the current age and the 29th, Maitreya, to come in the new age.
Unfortunately, there is no evidence of any of the Buddhas before Sukyamuni, and no evidence of someone not yet born. Considering the periods of times involved early Buddhas would have existed in times such as that of Australopithecus, etc.

Better, in my view, to focus on principles which can be tested and practiced.

And by the way, different Buddhist sects have different opinions (and I emphasize that word...opinions) about how many past Buddhas there have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism