Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:38 PM

69 posts, read 225,614 times

Advertisements

Nope.People need to express their opinions even when it's negative.Obviously.It's not rude.
If everybody just posted positive stuff that would be horrible. The real problem is people get offended by every little thing.
It does look like a normal city. However in the winter it looks purely hideous.But every city looks hideous in the winter to me....I think New York City has cute skyscrapers but it has no natural beauty........just like Boston.
I don't have a lack of observation, it's just the things you think make it so different and unique are not important to me at all. Different opinions.Btw I live in Revere so I am in Boston a lot. I work in Boston too.
I think the landscape is ugly and the weather is horrible. I think the people have horrible sounding accents. But that will change in the future with all the immigrants coming in. The things I like about it is that it has a good economy, nice schools and hospitals, good transportation system.
Miami's landscape is ugly too...flat flat flat...but it doesn't bother me much since the beaches and the weather make up for it.
I'd much rather live in Miami with the ugly landscape than in L.A.'s beautiful landscape that comes with earthquakes...that's because I have I prefer the threat
of hurricanes over earthquakes....everyone is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 03:07 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCroatian View Post
Nope.People need to express their opinions even when it's negative.Obviously.It's not rude.
If everybody just posted positive stuff that would be horrible. The real problem is people get offended by every little thing.
Yes, it is rude. You're not contributing anything. There are plenty of threads where people are asking questions which can be helped by all different points of view (negative AND positive). You, however, have just come in here to tell us all how you think Boston is ugly and you hate it. What does that do to help anyone? It's not productive, it's pointless.

Quote:
It does look like a normal city. However in the winter it looks purely hideous.But every city looks hideous in the winter to me....I think New York City has cute skyscrapers but it has no natural beauty........just like Boston.
Nope, it doesn't. New York and Boston do NOT look alike. Boston doesn't look like any other city. there are aspects of Boston that may resemble New York or London in some ways; but Boston still looks different from those places. Boston CERTAINLY doesn't have the generic suburban look or feel that so many cities (including L.A. and Miami) have. If you prefer those things, then good for you.

"Natural Beauty." I'm hoping that English is not your first language and that your point was lost in translation. That's the only thing that can redeem this statement. This is a highly subjective issue. I personally think Boston is in a beautiful natural setting. The rolling landscape, seaside setting and pockets of sandy beaches in a mostly rocky coastline are very appealing to me. That's MY opinion. You're stating YOUR opinion as if it's as good as fact which is annoying to no end.

Quote:
I don't have a lack of observation, it's just the things you think make it so different and unique are not important to me at all.
You're contradicting yourself. You just said that Boston looks like any other city. Now you're saying that it is different and unique, but that's not important to you. Which is it? If the latter is true, that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. The things that make Miami different aren't important to me. That's my opinion.

Quote:
I think the landscape is ugly and the weather is horrible. I think the people have horrible sounding accents. But that will change in the future with all the immigrants coming in.
Again, opinions. Most people think the landscape here is beautiful. Even many people who hate Boston like the setting. If you don't like it, that's fine; but it's not fair to state your opinions as if they're facts. Personally, I prefer the cold of Boston to the humidity and heat of Miami. For what it's worth, I can't stand the Boston accent either. Sure, it's "different" but it bothers me too.

Quote:
The things I like about it is that it has a good economy, nice schools and hospitals, good transportation system.
I like these things too. There are things I like about Miami (and LA) as well. Obviously... there are a lot of different things that go into what makes a city a good fit for each person. If Boston's not a good fit for you, I hope you can make it some place that you like better.

Quote:
Miami's landscape is ugly too...flat flat flat...but it doesn't bother me much since the beaches and the weather make up for it.
If there are enough things you like about a place, it's easier to ignore the bad things. There are things I hate about Boston but for me, the good things outweigh the bad. That's not the case for you, but I hope you find a place where that IS the case.

Quote:
I'd much rather live in Miami with the ugly landscape than in L.A.'s beautiful landscape that comes with earthquakes...that's because I have I prefer the threat
of hurricanes over earthquakes....everyone is different.
I'd probably choose Miami over LA too. You're right, though. Everyone is different.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:14 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCroatian View Post
in the winter it looks purely hideous.But every city looks hideous in the winter to me....
That is the issue, as you've acknowedged. It's very subjective and personal. There are some days in winter when I think Boston looks ugly, but others (when there's new snow or a clear blue sky) when I think winter is beautiful. It's in the eye of the beholder.

You're right that a forum exists for expression of opinions, particularly when they differ, but the photo thread is a little different. That thread is a less natural place for a debate about Boston's aesthetics, so the critique does seem a little gratuitous.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:39 PM

93 posts, read 305,637 times

Old 06-09-2010, 05:21 PM

5 posts, read 38,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Here are some photos I took of Boston last year. Enjoy!

WOW! Absolutely amazing shots. How did you take these? Do you do this professionally?

Old 06-19-2010, 11:55 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottWalked View Post
WOW! Absolutely amazing shots. How did you take these? Do you do this professionally?
Thanks, yes I do!

Here is a recent photo:

Old 07-10-2010, 01:11 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,072 times
From Castle Island June 2010

http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/37745611.jpg

Old 08-18-2010, 06:38 PM

103 posts, read 218,501 times
Boston is gorgeous fro the looks of these photos. i wanted to move there a while back (some of yall might know this) I just have 2 issues. 1) i love sunsets and Bostons may be beautifal as shown in some of the photos but i like it when the suns really close and big. Just a preference though. and 2) im not sure if i could stand Bostons winter/fall. Im fro west texas and i think our winters suck. lol oh well but ill tell you if i could get past these (which im sure i can) i just ay ake the ove after college and the eco pics back up. wonderful thread might i add

Old 08-18-2010, 06:40 PM

103 posts, read 218,501 times
sorry my "M' doesnt work very well

Old 11-18-2010, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 22,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Please post photos of Boston in this thread.
Home looks so good whenyou haven,t been there in 12 years I missed there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston