Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 06:52 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have been a Gin drinker for years but feel a need for change. I typically would have a Martini or with Tonic and Lime which is obviously less evident for flavor notes. It's more the martini component where I have found Vodka kind of rough (Tito's, Ketel One or Belvedere for example).
Keep your vodka in the freezer: even cheap vodka may improve, especially if you drink it neat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 07:58 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Considering that the DEFINITION of vodka is "alcohol, distilled to the max. amount of purity available by standard distillation methods, then diluted with water to achieve target proof level" I think it's kind of unrealistic to ask for "vodka that doesn't taste like alcohol". The stuff is nothing BUT ethanol and water, with trace contaminants remaining from carry-over during distillation.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:36 PM

974 posts, read 517,163 times
Just today I bought the cheapest bottle of vodka I could find in a store called Loukonoff. It's advertised as a "handmade" product from an old "Russian Heritage Recipe". Which probably means nothing, just advertising talk.

It has almost no taste. Well, it has a slight taste, but I'm not sure what it is, as I drink Bourbon, which has a more pronounced sweet taste. It's the first vodka I've tasted in 40 years, and prefer it to the Smirnoff I used to drink. At first I mixed it w/ water, but it's tastier straight up.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:53 PM

12,842 posts, read 866,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Keep your vodka in the freezer: even cheap vodka may improve, especially if you drink it neat
No, don't do that. There's a lot written on why you shouldn't keep vodka in the freezer, but I've got to make dinner now so I'll let you google it.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:00 PM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Considering that the DEFINITION of vodka is "alcohol, distilled to the max. amount of purity available by standard distillation methods, then diluted with water to achieve target proof level" I think it's kind of unrealistic to ask for "vodka that doesn't taste like alcohol". The stuff is nothing BUT ethanol and water, with trace contaminants remaining from carry-over during distillation.
Apparently so, guess I'll stick with my London Dry Gin and some forays into Bourbon instead.

Old 02-29-2024, 04:14 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Apparently so, guess I'll stick with my London Dry Gin and some forays into Bourbon instead.
Keep in mind that the definition of gin is "ethanol, distilled to the maximum concentration possible with standard distillation methods, then diluted to the desired proof with water and flavored with essence of juniper and other flavors".

For distilled spirits, my personal preferences are toward whiskey (or whisky) in its many varieties, brandy, amd tequila - these are spirits that carry more flavor from their process than the clear gin/vodka group.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:17 PM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Tito's and Absolut are my go to vodkas for mixed drinks like vodka sodas.

There is a potato vodka called Chopin that some people swear by. It's very smooth and makes a good martini from what I've heard.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:23 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
I like Tito's straight up

Old 03-06-2024, 11:27 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Tito's and Absolut are my go to vodkas for mixed drinks like vodka sodas.

There is a potato vodka called Chopin that some people swear by. It's very smooth and makes a good martini from what I've heard.
There's must be something about the Polish methodology that makes a smoother vodka. I have also had recommendations for Belvedere and Wyborowa.

Old 03-08-2024, 07:27 PM

974 posts, read 517,163 times
I am presently in the midst of some in depth Vodka research (the store down the road has the biggest bottle of Vodka I have ever seen for $9.95). It tastes like nothing at all and has no smell. From what I've read, this is the deal w/ Vodka. It is distilled to 190-195 proof, then water is added to get the proof down to around 80. So unlike something like Bourbon, which retains a sweet taste from it's corn origin and hasn't been distilled to within an inch of its life,Vodka is distilled so that it has no taste.

I bought my neighbor one of these 1.75 liter Big Vodkas today. She said she usually buys the higher priced brand, which makes no sense to me because if it is distilled so much, one brand should taste about like any other brand. Like nothing at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Alcoholic Beverages