Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 11:11 AM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

The letter said Jan. 1 all customers will be on the streaming internet and TV. I've heard that if the TV goes out you lose internet too. One decent advantage of the cable modem is we have lost TV but had internet or the reverse. We lose one but not the other and of course have lost both before.

A friend has the lowest TV and internet package they offer. She said they have an appointment later in the week to get the streaming hooked up for her family. And she negotiated a lower cost by phone.

This seems curious with Comporium giving a more reliable and faster service for lower $$.

Surely (?) some of you have the streaming.
Lower cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 09:34 AM

200 posts, read 173,656 times
streaming sure seems like a great way to go with lower costs and flexibility. But at the end of the day most end up with 10+ subscriptions.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:56 AM

Friends got streaming internet last week. They just asked if we had lost internet. No we did not but they did.
We still have our cable box. Signal through the air seems partially unreliable. And they have the slowest internet the company offers and still they lost internet about an hour ago. We did not and we are across the street from their house.

Old 01-03-2022, 09:16 AM

186 posts, read 334,800 times
The issue with the Comporium streaming service, is that the cost is only slightly discounted compared to the price you pay with having a cable box. I know that when I looked at it about 9 months ago, I would have only saved about $20 to $30 off my bill by switching.

Their DVR service through the streaming is also limited. I think at the time I checked, it was limited to 30 hours of recordings.

I went ahead and switched to Youtube TV and and Philo and even adding back in the pay channels that I had, I'm currently saving over a $100 a month compared to if I stayed with Comporium for service. I still have comporium internet service and only have a problem with it when the whole area looses service.

Psy

Old 06-15-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsylockeSmythe View Post
The issue with the Comporium streaming service, is that the cost is only slightly discounted compared to the price you pay with having a cable box. I know that when I looked at it about 9 months ago, I would have only saved about $20 to $30 off my bill by switching.
Their DVR service through the streaming is also limited. I think at the time I checked, it was limited to 30 hours of recordings.
I went ahead and switched to Youtube TV and and Philo and even adding back in the pay channels that I had, I'm currently saving over a $100 a month compared to if I stayed with Comporium for service. I still have comporium internet service and only have a problem with it when the whole area looses service.
Psy
We were paying $202 for Basic Plus and high speed internet. They told us when we switched to streaming it would be $217.
So we asked them to drop TV. Before that we had not had viewable TV for about a week. The video was garbled and no audio. Then after we dropped the TV on May 28th we still had the garbled TV for another week. Then a bill arrives for $231.
What happened to $217. I went in and inquired and it took a long conversation to finally get something. They said we'd get a $99 credit on our July bill. Why would we want to pay $231 for June since we had no TV worth watching and that may have been because the cable box went bad or they caused it to go bad. Plus the fact that $231 was not accurate or it should not have been accurate. Finally they asked if we wanted the credit now (June 8) and we said yes. I'm not sure where the $217 came from or the $231. They subtracted $99 from the $231 and that left $32. So now they are giving us a deal for some reason maybe they didn't do the math correctly. Internet only would be $83. So we got June internet only for $32. The only TV we now have is with an antenna and the $217 would have been $134 for TV so we are saving $134. But only have the 4 major channels. We don't watch any of the others.
Anyone explain the above math? From $202 non streaming to $217 for streaming to $231 to a credit of $99 and a final cost for internet of $32? Thanks.

By the way certain parts of town can now get internet through T-Mobile.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We were paying $202 for Basic Plus and high speed internet. They told us when we switched to streaming it would be $217.
So we asked them to drop TV. Before that we had not had viewable TV for about a week. The video was garbled and no audio. Then after we dropped the TV on May 28th we still had the garbled TV for another week. Then a bill arrives for $231.
What happened to $217. I went in and inquired and it took a long conversation to finally get something. They said we'd get a $99 credit on our July bill. Why would we want to pay $231 for June since we had no TV worth watching and that may have been because the cable box went bad or they caused it to go bad. Plus the fact that $231 was not accurate or it should not have been accurate. Finally they asked if we wanted the credit now (June 8) and we said yes. I'm not sure where the $217 came from or the $231. They subtracted $99 from the $231 and that left $32. So now they are giving us a deal for some reason maybe they didn't do the math correctly. Internet only would be $83. So we got June internet only for $32. The only TV we now have is with an antenna and the $217 would have been $134 for TV so we are saving $134. But only have the 4 major channels. We don't watch any of the others.
Anyone explain the above math? From $202 non streaming to $217 for streaming to $231 to a credit of $99 and a final cost for internet of $32? Thanks.

By the way certain parts of town can now get internet through T-Mobile.
It sounds like they issued you two credits of $99, that is one way to get the price down to $33 ($99+$99 is $198, which if you minus from $231 gets you to $33).

As for the others I can't answer, since I now only use Comporium for internet. I have YoutubeTV for streaming and except for a few issues, I'm glad I switched. I have no issues at my home with Comporium's internet (I only loose access when there is a system wide outage), but then again i know what I'm doing when it comes to setting up a home network and also understand that many things can effect the network speed and performance.

Psy

Old 06-16-2022, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I have no issues at my home with Comporium's internet (I only loose access when there is a system wide outage), but then again i know what I'm doing when it comes to setting up a home network and also understand that many things can effect the network speed and performance. Psy
Download speeds up to 600 Mbps
Upload speeds up to 10 Mbps

Those are what we are paying for. I did a speed test and got 59 and 3 earlier in the day and 77 and 2.75 just now. When we inquire why our speeds are so far under 600 and 10 "up to" is always their excuse.

We have no way to make sure we are receiving what we are paying for.
Ideas?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Feedback on Comporium's new streaming internet & TV-8qzebquy8d.jpgttttt.jpg  

Old 06-16-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Download speeds up to 600 Mbps
Upload speeds up to 10 Mbps

Those are what we are paying for. I did a speed test and got 59 and 3 earlier in the day and 77 and 2.75 just now. When we inquire why our speeds are so far under 600 and 10 "up to" is always their excuse.

We have no way to make sure we are receiving what we are paying for.
Ideas?

Thanks.
I'm paying for the same level and the last two times I've ran a speed test from the various testing sites over the past two months, I was at over 650mb and then in the 525mb range. Upload has always been between 9mb and 11mb. I've had neighbors complain about their service, but most of the time it is due to how they have their network configured and using the combo modem/router from Comporium and also most of their devices are using WIFI which is easy to disrupt.

The problem is when it comes to a cable modem connection, up to is the correct answer, since everyone on the node or pipe however you want to describe it, is sharing. So while you should be able to hit the advertised number, a lot of things can cause the number to be lower, the more people using the internet, downloading a lot of data, etc can all cause the download speeds to report lower. One way to test this is to plug in your computer to the back of the cable modem and run the speed test that way. I had an older high end router that was great and rock stable, could not handle the faster speeds, due to the processing power it took to run all the security measures built into the router. I upgraded to a newer high end router and my reported speeds went to what I'm currently getting. We have this same problem here at the office, we pay for almost 500mb down but normally getting anywhere from 220 to 300mb down due to the security measures on the firewall.

Your results do seem low and I would test to see if it is something on your end (router) causing the problem or Comporium's, by plugging in the computer directly to the back of the cable modem and bypassing any router. This should tell you if it is on your end or theirs. If your speed is still that low then there more than likely something wrong going from their equipment to your house, but it could also be that you have a neighbor that is running a data center from their house that is sucking up all the bandwidth in the neighborhood.

Psy

Old 06-16-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
I'm paying for the same level and the last two times I've ran a speed test from the various testing sites over the past two months, I was at over 650mb and then in the 525mb range. Upload has always been between 9mb and 11mb. I've had neighbors complain about their service, but most of the time it is due to how they have their network configured and using the combo modem/router from Comporium and also most of their devices are using WIFI which is easy to disrupt.

The problem is when it comes to a cable modem connection, up to is the correct answer, since everyone on the node or pipe however you want to describe it, is sharing. So while you should be able to hit the advertised number, a lot of things can cause the number to be lower, the more people using the internet, downloading a lot of data, etc can all cause the download speeds to report lower. One way to test this is to plug in your computer to the back of the cable modem and run the speed test that way. I had an older high end router that was great and rock stable, could not handle the faster speeds, due to the processing power it took to run all the security measures built into the router. I upgraded to a newer high end router and my reported speeds went to what I'm currently getting. We have this same problem here at the office, we pay for almost 500mb down but normally getting anywhere from 220 to 300mb down due to the security measures on the firewall.

Your results do seem low and I would test to see if it is something on your end (router) causing the problem or Comporium's, by plugging in the computer directly to the back of the cable modem and bypassing any router. This should tell you if it is on your end or theirs. If your speed is still that low then there more than likely something wrong going from their equipment to your house, but it could also be that you have a neighbor that is running a data center from their house that is sucking up all the bandwidth in the neighborhood.

Psy

We have an Arris modem and the computer is plugged into the back of that with a yellow ethernet cable.
There is wireless internet to our laptop but we don't use it. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
We have an Arris modem and the computer is plugged into the back of that with a yellow ethernet cable.
There is wireless internet to our laptop but we don't use it. Thanks.
Ok, so that should eliminate it being hardware on your side. How old is the cable modem? That could be the bottleneck if it is a very old model. But it does sound like there is something wrong on Comporium's side of things.

Psy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties