Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2007, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 17,712 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks
This seems like a nice friendly place so I hope you can help me here. I am brand new to the site and looking for any or all help, support, friendship and advice anyone can offer to me. I am coming out to Laramie in Aug this year with my daughter who turns 14 a few weeks after we arrive. I am a 'non traditional' one parent student and will be on an exchange year abroad with UW in Laramie from the University of Hull in the UK where I am a second year undergraduate.
We are both very excited to be coming over for a year but also filled with concerns over so many issues (well I have the concerns daughter is just excited! LOL). Daughter will be attending the LAB School and I hope will settle in well to life at a US School and make some good and lasting friendships. (Me too I hope to make new friends )
We will be living on campus in family accomodation while we are over but the real concerns I have right now is the best way to get to Laramie. From the UK I have looked at London to Denver and then a flight into Laramie but I am scared to death of small planes LOL! So any help advice from anyone who has flown with Great Lakes Aviation. I had hoped to use Amtrak from Denver - have used Amtrak many times before while in the US but nope no train Looked at Greyhound but does not go near to UW? and best of all I don't drive!!!! Yes I keep failing the driving test here in the UK so can't drive - I am hopeful of sitting the test while I am in UW but any advice anyone can give me about getting around would be great.
I bicycle here in the UK or walk but past experience in the US has proven there are not many pavements - oh sorry thats British for Sidewalk LOL
Ok I have rambled on long enough. Thanks to anyone who is kind enough to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 02:37 PM

362 posts, read 1,855,534 times
Hi there! I'm going to Laramie in August too, to tour the University. When in August are you going?
I used to live in Wyoming so I can tell you a few things. Get used to the cold and the wind. I'm not sure what it's like in England (never been, but I'd love to go), but it gets very very cold in Wyoming. Also you really do need to learn how to drive if you live out west because things are seperated by many miles.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:30 PM

144 posts, read 627,701 times
Great Lakes is a reputable commuter airline, but if you prefer ground transportation, there are shuttle vans available from DIA to Laramie:

#1 Above Airport Shuttles (303) 257-3425 k-l-lahlou@hotmail.com

#1 Access Colorado Shuttle & Limousine (720) 338-5731 info@accesscoloradoshuttle.com

A CLASS ABOVE TRANSPORTATION 720-628-6666 info@acatranspo.com

A-1 Colorado Mountain Ski Shuttle 303-257-3425 k-l-lahlou@hotmail.com

Payless Shuttle (720) 276-7654

Old 05-04-2007, 04:41 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,151 times
Default Denver to Laramie

JeannieJake - as Sixofone says the airline (small planes) that flies into Laramie is very reputable or the shuttle would work. Good luck and welcome to WY. Our daughter is a junior at UW and loves it!

Old 05-04-2007, 10:16 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,064,789 times
You definately need to learn to drive when you arrive. Laramie is spread out so it would be difficult to do your shopping and such unless you want to take a taxi everywhere, very inconvenient. In the summer I suppose you could walk to get around, but the nice weather is only around for a couple of months. Also, have someone teach you how to drive in ice and snow when winter hits so you're not sliding all over the place, it's not that hard you just need to know the right technique. Good luck to you, I'm sure you will love Laramie.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:19 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Something else to know is that the Laramie airport is several miles out of town. Laramie is indeed cold and windy in the winter, and winter persists off and on until mid-to late May. They are getting snow over there right now, with 4-8" expected by tomorrow. Spring in Wyoming. Summer is pleasant--not hot during the day,and it gets cool at night. Fall begins in early September--frosts in late August are not uncommon. Don't expect trees anywhere except in town. Laramie sits on high plains at over 7,000 feet elevation. There are mountains around Laramie, but they are some distance from town.Laramie is a typical western town--spread out and dependent on the automobile.

Distances will take on a new meaning for you in Wyoming. From Laramie, distances to the nearest other towns of any size:

Cheyenne--about 50 miles
Fort Collins, Colorado--about 60 miles
Rawlins--about 100 miles
Wheatland--about 75 miles

For those used to congested areas, it can be lonely and intimidating. For those of us who grew up in this region, well--we're used to it and love it.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:22 AM

3 posts, read 17,712 times
Default Thank you

Hello to all
Thank you all for your replies and the advice and information you all offered.
Love the West - I will be ariving sometime around Aug 18/20th as I have to register on Aug 21st and attend orientation. School starts Aug 27th for me and daughter. I am kind of prepared for the cold and the wind. I am from the North East of England - the original Newcastle so I am used to the cold and wind but I am not so sure about the heavy snowfalls we don't get that much falling where I am from, not in one go anyways LOL Your should come to the UK it is a really beautiful country especially the county of Northumberland where I am from. It is very green, with castles and forts and Roman ruins and beautiful coastlines -the history is fantastic.
SixoPhone Thank you so very much for the information I will check those sites out. I am not sure at this point if someone from the University will meet me at Denver or at Laramie airports but if we have to make our own way to Laramie I think we may very well use those coaches - thank you again.
MHT Thank you for the welcome! It delights me to hear that your youngest is at the University and happy there. As a 'non traditional' mature student I have concerns about my age (early 40's) and fitting in to the University but I have not had any problems here in the UK and have made some great friendships with other students on my course - those in their early 20's and the older ones like me so hope that UW will be the same!
I have researched the state and region and the city of Laramie, one of the main reasons I want to come to Laramie is because of the friendliness I feel sure we will find. It was very important to me that daughter would be happy in the area we settle - I had a lot of choice through my University here in the UK - and I just 'feel' that Laramie will be good for us both and that we will have the opportunity to contribute too and take from our interactions. I can hardly wait!
Earniefan Thanks to you also for your advice. Yes I guessed learning to drive in not so good weather would be a plus so I will take on board your advice in that regard. I guess I am not really geared up for not being able to walk back from the shops which I do now or order my 'big shop' food shopping from the store on line and have them deliver to me at home so it is going to be interesting.... hmmmm where was Pizza Hut oh yes Grand Ave
Jazzlover When you say 'those of us who love and grew up here - love it' you speak to my heart, you really do. I adore the landscape of the area although I have not had the chance to visit Wyoming before I have searched through webcams, websites, books, movies, documentaries etc - in my heart I have the feeling I am coming home as odd as that may sound. It does tickle me that my 'home town' Newcastle upon Tyne is the name sake of Wyoming's Newcastle although the population numbers are considerably different! LOL Again also thank you for the distances it helps to give a feel of what is involved. What about transport links between Laramie and places, are there any? or am I pretty much stuck until I can drive? Not that I think I will feel the need to 'escape' Laramie but I do want to explore the state and the region - as much as anything else to help me narrow down my dissertation choices - I intend to start my research when I am over.
OK again thank you everyone for your help and advice and for making me feel welcome. I look forward to many more 'conversations' on the coming months.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:39 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,064,789 times
I don't know what elevation you live at now, but that's something to remember when you move also. You won't recongnize your skin for some time, or your level of fitness, I got winded, really winded walking up one flight of stairs when I first moved there. It took a year or so to fully acclimate. Just keep in mind that you can get very sick if you over do it, it's called altitude sickness and it's no fun. Invest in some good lotion as your skin is going to need all the moisture it can get. )) Also, when go out at night bring a jacket even in July, it really cools off when the sun goes down. When I first moved there it got over 90 for about a week, everyone from Laramie was just dying over the heat, I had just moved from eastern Nebraska very humid and generally over 100 during that time of year, so I thought it was gorgeous out, however, the next year I was right there with them whining about how hot it was! It also works the other way around for the cold, they were comfortable and I was freezing. I'm just trying to remember all the things I was shocked by to help ease your transition. Anyway, good luck to you, I'm sure you will love Laramie it's a very interesting place with lots of different people.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:00 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
JeannieJake,

Unfortunately, public transport is very limited in Wyoming--the state pretty much relies on the automobile. Wyoming does have a good highway system and the Dept. of Transportation is good about keeping roads well-maintained and works hard to keep roads open in winter during bad weather (though blizzards can certainly shut them down for a few hours, or a day or so).

Still, the state is sparsely populated (a real blessing in my book) and distances between towns can be long and lonely. Wyoming's population is just over 500,000 now, settled over approximately 97,000 square miles. That makes the average population density about 5.2 people per square mile (a square mile equals 640 acres). When you figure that over 100,000 out of that 500,000 live in the two biggest cities, Casper and Cheyenne, that leaves some pretty empty country in the rest of the state.

I have travelled the state a fair amount as part of my work. The I-80 corridor sees a lot of interstate truck and car traffic and is busier than many other highways. On some secondary highways, though, it is still possible to drive several miles at a time without seeing another vehicle.

Parts of the Old West do live on in one form or another in Wyoming. You still can run into the occasional cattle or sheep drive along the highway. People still wave to each other on the road (the "Wyoming wave" is often just a lifting of the index finger on the steering wheel). A fair number of normal, law-abiding citizens still carry guns in their vehicle. And wildlife still is out there and still is, well, "wild." (I had an antelope in my yard this morning.)

I have spent my whole life in the Rocky Mountain West. It saddens me that growth has eroded a lot of the "Old West" that still existed even 25 or 30 years ago, but more of that spirit is still alive in Wyoming than most any other place in the U.S.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,941 times
Default Laramie is a really nice place - you will like it.

I want to disagree with a lot of what others have been telling you about Laramie.

You won't have problems with not driving in Laramie. There is a very good free bus service for on campus and some areas of the city as well. For small fares there are other buses run by the Senior Center. The biking is good. Since you are living on campus that will work very well for you. A lot of students ride bikes even in the snow! Buses will take you right to the grocery stores and other places as well. Lots of places are available within walking distance. Real close to campus housing are the following: the hospital, a rather small outdoor mall with a variety of stores, two good hotels, loads of restaurants (some are actually restaurants as opposed to fast food), lots of doctor's offices, one nice grocery store, a copy center, two banks and one credit union, bus stops etc.

The best way to travel from Denver to Laramie is by Green Ride airport shuttle. It will take you to the Hilton Garden Inn in just 3 hours. (Very close to campus housing.) It isn't cheap, (about $75) but much better than the airplane service and the service is regular (which the plane service is not). The Laramie airport is quite a distance away.

I am fairly new to Laramie and have found it a great place. You won't be bothered by altitude sickness if you just take it easy for a few days. I came from living right at sea level and the adjustment was no problem and I am much older than you. This last winter was very mild and you may not have problems with extreme cold this coming winter??? Who knows for sure, but the campus is kept very clean and the buses drop you off real close to the class rooms.

I have been to England, Scotland and Wales many times and have adapted easily to your weather - it shouldn't be a shock to you (unless we get a terrible winter). It is quite arid however and I do use more lotion than in the more humid areas of the US and Europe. Do contact me if you want more help. I have an eleven year old Granddaughter who could help your daughter. She lives close and has horses, in case that might be a fun thing. She doesn't go to the Lab school however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming