Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 07:20 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,434,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Per St Louis Fed data, their last report was at about 26,000 WY people on SNAP..... just under 5% of the reported population. (Dunno if that includes any BIA data.) I suspect these are pre-pandemic numbers.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/BRWY56M647NCEN
I was going by an ad on the bulletin board of the local laundromat, which may also be outdated. I usually look at school lunch program data... And is it clear that the 26000 are recipients or beneficiaries... could it be 26000 moms with two kids each?

And there must he a ton on Obamacare subsidies..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 11:57 PM

5,589 posts, read 5,035,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytempest View Post
Agree with you. I think we're going on 28 or 29 yrs in Wyoming. We didn't move here for the people. And there are things that I dislike. I consider Wyoming having a purple tint. I wish it were much redder! Wyoming is a great state to live in. The good Lord has been very good to us in WY. I can tell you that NO ONE in Wyoming is going to give you a damn thing! If you want something, best get to getting it yourself! So much opportunity in Wyoming.
You mean one must be self-reliant living in Wyoming.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:12 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,479,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
I was going by an ad on the bulletin board of the local laundromat, which may also be outdated. I usually look at school lunch program data... And is it clear that the 26000 are recipients or beneficiaries... could it be 26000 moms with two kids each?

And there must he a ton on Obamacare subsidies..
Hard to say exactly.. the St Louis Fed site says " The SNAP benefits data represent the number of participants..." so some participants may well be something like a family head. But it seems clear that the % of the WY population that is on food stamps is maybe 10%-ish, + or - .

Old 06-10-2021, 02:08 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,407,919 times
Did it show how many seniors were in the SNAP program?

Old 06-11-2021, 07:21 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,479,980 times
It shows total 'participants'..... the exact wording above is cited above.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:39 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,973,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
You mean one must be self-reliant living in Wyoming.
It's every man for himself there.

Old 06-12-2021, 03:19 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,434,149 times
Most businesses I have been in are aggressively hiring. The Hardee's has been closing at 7pm because of lack of staff. But, there can be huge differences in the service sector job market and the good paying jobs in the energy sector. I've heard the old boom or bust thing too many times to count, so lately I started asking them, well, what is it now? And considering they had just told me it was always boom or bust, none could tell me what we were in now...Energy has improved greatly over the past several months, but you can't really call it a boom, and there is still the looming issue of coal's future, but the economy seems pretty robust, but not likely to someone who had to go from 32.50 to 15 per hour... and we all know how well people save up during booms.

Old 06-12-2021, 04:51 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,439,135 times
I lived in Wyoming for awhile about 25 years ago.I liked it there better than any other state i've lived in, I grew up in Maryland and states don't get too much different than that.

It is a place though that people REALLY like or REALLY hate.I loved it,my wife complained daily about having moved her to 'this God forsaken place' and after a couple years I surrendered and we went elsewhere.You really need to be OK with a lot of wind and cold weather.My wife wasn't too thrilled by the 100+ miles to go to a mall either.I don't like shopping so I didn't care.

I doubt the cost of living is much different than Texas,of course 'where' you live in either state makes a big difference.Wyoming is pretty safe...but so is a lot of Texas.Most recreation in Wyoming involves the outdoors....and remember its cold much of the year.Most of what you can do in Wyoming you can also do in Texas.....of course the snow machining is much better in Wyoming.

My suggestion is to research which area you think you may like and spend a week there....in February or March.There are only a few cities with any real population and its a long way between them.Since you don't have a wife or kids now is the time to give it a try.If you like it you stay and if not you just move somewhere else.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 6,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
I lived in Wyoming for awhile about 25 years ago.I liked it there better than any other state i've lived in, I grew up in Maryland and states don't get too much different than that.

It is a place though that people REALLY like or REALLY hate.I loved it,my wife complained daily about having moved her to 'this God forsaken place' and after a couple years I surrendered and we went elsewhere.You really need to be OK with a lot of wind and cold weather.My wife wasn't too thrilled by the 100+ miles to go to a mall either.I don't like shopping so I didn't care.

I doubt the cost of living is much different than Texas,of course 'where' you live in either state makes a big difference.Wyoming is pretty safe...but so is a lot of Texas.Most recreation in Wyoming involves the outdoors....and remember its cold much of the year.Most of what you can do in Wyoming you can also do in Texas.....of course the snow machining is much better in Wyoming.

My suggestion is to research which area you think you may like and spend a week there....in February or March.There are only a few cities with any real population and its a long way between them.Since you don't have a wife or kids now is the time to give it a try.If you like it you stay and if not you just move somewhere else.
MY goal is to move next summer time then i will have time to find place for apt, and job . I don't worry too much for cool. I used to live Alaska before i can have ideas about.my concerns are how to get job quick and get my apt.
Thank you for your comments.

Old 06-13-2021, 04:43 PM

5,589 posts, read 5,035,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming