Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 06:28 AM

231 posts, read 332,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
A bad area of Sydney is a meh area to Americans. When I was in Sydney I could not believe how uniformly pristine the city was in all directions.
Same in Melbourne, what we consider bad areas here would be considered decent safe areas by American standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 06:23 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Australia by far
Sydney
Melbourne
Brisbane
Perth
Adelaide

Climate, multiculturalism, safety, high pib per capita, lifestyle, beaches, vineyards, mountains, not prone to major earthquakes, tsunamis, terrorism attacks and Pandemics.
Bold are subjective.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:42 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,718 times
If it is purely based on safety, scenery and livability then (IMHO) Switzerland has a strong case.
Basel
Geneva
Lausanne
Bern
Zurich

Also very close to France, Italy and Germany.
With the Alps a great natural landmark.
Pretty lakes and picturesque places.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:42 AM

570 posts, read 508,174 times
I changed my mind on this. I’d choose France;
- Paris -iconic, top world city on the same level as NYC, London and Tokyo. The capital of fashion, the city of love, so many landmarks and top museums. Everybody dreams to go at least once to either Paris or Rome.
- Lyon - Clean and picturesque with the alps and Switzerland next door (plus great food!). I was there in 2017 and it was very pleasant, nice people and beautiful weather. Very clean too.
- Marseille - it has a bad reputation and I haven’t been but there are so many beautiful places nearby and beaches too, close to Montpellier. Nice weather and food.
-Toulouse - Beautiful pink city, good nightlife, close to Spain, the mountains and not far from the beach. The city is the centre of the European aerospace industry and other industries too.
-Lille - it doesn’t look like your typical French city due to its influences, it looks more like a Dutch city (Flanders). I don’t know much about this city but from
Google maps street views it does look really nice with green areas. I love it’s location too; very close to Belgium and England.

These are the 5 largest cities in France but the country has other super nice cities: Bordeaux, Biarritz, Strasbourg, Nice, Cannes, Nantes. In France you have cities with everything to be happy in my opinion ( good food, history, culture, beaches, mountains, party, sports)

Old 09-23-2021, 03:23 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 18 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Russia?

Russia's notorious for having 2 premier cities and then absolute dumps for cities #3-25.

If I had to choose, they'd be Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Kazan, Novosibirsk, Yekaterinburg. In no way do those compare favorably to Germany or Spain, much less USA.

The #5 city in Russia has 1,660,000 people. It would be number #35 in the U.S., akin a Raleigh.

France has a great 5:
Paris
Lyon
Marseille
Bordeaux
Toulouse

So does Italy:
Rome
Milan
Venice
Florence
Naples and/or Turin

U.K. abjectly does not:
London
Birmingham - dump
Manchester - underwhelming
Glasgow - nice, but with lots of visible scars
Leeds - meh

The U.K. like Russia has very weak major cities due to London's pull. After London, the U.K.
major cities are either in rust belt decline or marginal post-industrial recovery.

There's a reason tourists flock to the smaller cities: Bath, York, Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Chester, Brighton, Bristol, Durham, etc.
It depends how you define top 5 cities.

I note you also mention Marseille, as this great city, when in reality, it has a lot of social problems and can be quite a dodgy place.

Beyond Marseille, the French cities you mention are not vast industrial cities, and many are no larger and indeed less important than cities such as Edinburgh.

The UK has lots of very attractive cities, and Birmingham has some very attractive areas such as Edgbaston or Solihull, whilst the central shopping area has seen a lot of investment, with HS2 providing even more. The city is also full of green spaces, and has an interesting restaurant culture and night life.

I would not call Birmingham a dump, and I would be careful before labelling any countries cities in such a derogatory way, given US cities have well documented problems.

As for Manchester, it has a lot going on for a city of it's size, so to state it's underwhelming is a strange statement to make.

You also list five Italian cities which are basically tourist cities, and then try to suggest there is a reason that tourists go to certain British cities.

In reality cities such as Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchester and Leeds have decent levels of tourism, good universities and have good shopping and entertainment.

Then again you have a history of labelling overseas cities and countries, without demonstrating any real knowledge or any reason for your comments, and I think this says a lot about you as a person.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-23-2021 at 03:49 AM..

Old 09-23-2021, 04:07 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It depends how you define top 5 cities.

I note you also mention Marseille, as this great city, when in reality, it has a lot of social problems and can be quite a dodgy place.

Beyond Marseille, the French cities you mention are not vast industrial cities, and many are no larger and indeed less important than cities such as Edinburgh.

The UK has lots of very attractive cities, and Birmingham has some very attractive areas such as Edgbaston, whilst the central shopping area has seen a lot of investment, with HS2 providing even more. I would not call Birmingham a dump.

As for Manchester, it has a lot going on for a city of it's size, so to state it's underwhelming is a strange statement to make.

You also list five Italian cities which are basically tourist cities, and then list a lot of old British cities.
Manchester and Birmingham, home to the industrial revolution, Birmingham has produced UB40, Duran Duran, Black Sabbath (Ozzy Osbourne of course), Judas Priest, Electric Light Orchestra, The Moody Blues, Steel Pulse (love em). Manchester has produced, The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Oasis, New Order, The Joy Division, Simply Red, The Happy Mondays, The Hollies and of course Take That (not my favourite!).
Birmingham is home to the Bullring one of Europes largest shopping centres, it has more miles of canal waterways than Venice, the Hippodrome is the UK's busiest theatre more so than any in London, Birmingham has 571 public parks, that's 200 MORE than Paris, there are more Michelin star restaurants in Birmingham than anywhere else in the UK outside of London, Birmingham Library is the largest regional library and public space in Europe
Manchester is a major cultural hub particularly famous for its nightclubs and of course sporting culture, home of course to both United and City, Manchester has spawned TWENTY FIVE Nobel Prize Winners.
Both Manchester and Birmingham are (obviously) full of bars resteraunts and museums, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery has the worlds largest collection of Pre-Raphaelite Art.

I'm not going to claim that either Birmingham or Manchester are 'the worlds greatest cities' that is a just a childish argument but I think this goes to show that anybody that comes out with idiotic statements like 'Birmingham is a dump' are either extremely ignorant, European (our Euro friends usually look down their noses at the British) or simply 'trolling'!

Personally I think the answer is 'ignorance', both Manchester and Birmingham are great cities, well worth a visit if you ever get the chance to.

Last edited by easthome; 09-23-2021 at 04:19 AM..

Old 09-23-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Manchester and Birmingham, home to the industrial revolution, Birmingham has produced UB40, Duran Duran, Black Sabbath (Ozzy Osbourne of course), Judas Priest, Electric Light Orchestra, The Moody Blues, Steel Pulse (love em). Manchester has produced, The Smiths, The Stone Roses, Oasis, New Order, The Joy Division, Simply Red, The Happy Mondays, The Hollies and of course Take That (not my favourite!).
Birmingham is home to the Bullring one of Europes largest shopping centres, it has more miles of canal waterways than Venice, the Hippodrome is the UK's busiest theatre more so than any in London, Birmingham has 571 public parks, that's 200 MORE than Paris, there are more Michelin star restaurants in Birmingham than anywhere else in the UK outside of London, Birmingham Library is the largest regional library and public space in Europe
Manchester is a major cultural hub particularly famous for its nightclubs and of course sporting culture, home of course to both United and City, Manchester has spawned TWENTY FIVE Nobel Prize Winners.
Both Manchester and Birmingham are (obviously) full of bars resteraunts and museums, Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery has the worlds largest collection of Pre-Raphaelite Art.

I'm not going to claim that either Birmingham or Manchester are 'the worlds greatest cities' that is a just a childish argument but I think this goes to show that anybody that comes out with idiotic statements like 'Birmingham is a dump' are either extremely ignorant, European (our Euro friends usually look down their noses at the British) or simply 'trolling'!

Personally I think the answer is 'ignorance', both Manchester and Birmingham are great cities, well worth a visit if you ever get the chance to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ReDuH0_rpI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MKsojrPVxk

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-23-2021 at 05:29 AM..

Old 09-24-2021, 04:13 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uudXrwMwiPo

Couple of locals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9olaIio3l8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJL-lCzEXgI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qanF-91aJo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXt56MB-3vc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-24-2021 at 05:08 AM..

Old 09-25-2021, 12:38 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,598,707 times
How many posters here can name 5 Cities in ten countries? Much less, evaluate which are the "best"? Quick --- name 5 cities in Turkey? Norway? Philipppnes? Argentina? Russia?

Old 09-25-2021, 12:45 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
I was thinking Italy's top 5 should be pretty good. At least visually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World