Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 09:36 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If usuario placed them in order, then I'd actually keep Brisbane in third as he did.
Yes, I'm not denying Brisbane is third, just for even distrubution, would be nice if Perth was more prominent being in opposide sides of the landmass, sort of like NYC-LA or even Montreal-Vancouver, Mumbai-Kolkata.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 10:57 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Yes, I'm not denying Brisbane is third, just for even distrubution, would be nice if Perth was more prominent being in opposide sides of the landmass, sort of like NYC-LA or even Montreal-Vancouver, Mumbai-Kolkata.
Yeah, there is some validity to Perth as the city that rules over the Australian west, but in contrast to the other examples you cited: what does it rule over exactly?

Aside from Perth itself, there isn't much out there, neither within or outside Australia.

So what might be a strength (no rival cities due to isolation), actually becomes a weakness.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:29 PM

373 posts, read 252,442 times
US has...
NYC
LA
SF
CHI
DC..
That's a great top 5

Old 04-14-2020, 03:54 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
I'm kind of curious as to what the top 5 for other countries are. The US is the third most populous and the two countries that are more populous than it are developing countries while the next more populous developed country is generally much less populous depending on how one defines "developed".

I reckon a common top 5 for China would be Shanghai, Beijing, Tianjin, Guangzhou, and Chongqing? Wouldn't be my personal top 5 though.

I also reckon India with its many different languages would have a pretty wildly varied top 5 though I don't know what those top 5 would be.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:22 PM

Well, in France Paris is clearly 1st and Lyon is clearly 2nd.

The next three are Marseille, Toulouse and Bordeaux. It's a bit of a toss-up between them. Marseille is larger than the other two, but the other two are generally seen as more desirable.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:30 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,396,033 times
Quote:
It's hard to define "top cities" though.

I think it's probably a carefully balanced mix of what makes it a good place to live and a good place to visit. With amenities and qualities that are essential and non-essential, tangible and intangible. Size is an important factor as it affects a lot of these metrics but it's not the only one to consider.

For Canada, I'd rank the top 5 cities in this way.

For first place I think it's a toss-up between Toronto and Montreal.

For third place I think Vancouver is the clear choice.

For the next two I'd probably pick Ottawa and Quebec City as they have a good mix of size, amenities, urbanity, attractiveness and career opportunities.

Honourable mention goes to Calgary, and for smaller cities, Victoria and Halifax.

Of course, this isn't close to being the world's "top 5".
No Winnipeg? ( wipes tear from eye)

LOl, Hey at least you have Halifax on there. Great little city.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:50 PM

676 posts, read 647,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
No Winnipeg? ( wipes tear from eye)

LOl, Hey at least you have Halifax on there. Great little city.
Winnipeg wouldn't make the top 10.... I kid.

If I had my way I would turf Ottawa and replace it with Halifax or Victoria for 5th. Canada's got some good cities but ****e climates. But Toronto-Montreal-Vancouver-Ottawa-Calgary is probably the right answer. And that is frankly...not a very good top five.

For China, I would rank it as Beijing-Shanghai-Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Chongqing. I am going to assume Hong Kong is not China, no offense intended. Just not usually lumped here in various city based studies. If HK is, I'd easily put it in top 3 even after current events - perhaps even #1.

I think to the question the USA takes this one with ease. The top 5 is hard to debate except the order - NY-LA-DC-CHI-SF. It's hard to argue any set of five cities from a country can take these on for notability, world contribution and economic power.

Australia has perhaps the top five nicest cities in Sydney-Melbourne-Bribane-Perth-Adelaide in the world that are all viable first class places to be, but scanning through US' list it just cannot compare pound for pound.

Most other countries are just far too Capital-city centric for their remaining three or four to make a dent against a more spread out country. Germany maybe, but there isn't even one city there that could really take out any of the US top five. Munich? Over San Francisco, D.C. or Chicago?

Old 04-14-2020, 05:17 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Well, in France Paris is clearly 1st and Lyon is clearly 2nd.

The next three are Marseille, Toulouse and Bordeaux. It's a bit of a toss-up between them. Marseille is larger than the other two, but the other two are generally seen as more desirable.
Well, if we’re talking about a nice well-rounded five, then St. Denis in Reunion with the rest of the island as the metropolitan area would be pretty nice.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:12 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
I think to the question the USA takes this one with ease. The top 5 is hard to debate except the order - NY-LA-DC-CHI-SF. It's hard to argue any set of five cities from a country can take these on for notability, world contribution and economic power.
Economic power sure, the other two debatable when you talk about thousands of years of human civilisation. Additionally, the aforementioned are not all a city's attributes. I think there are a handful of countries that hold their own quite well. For example Spain: sure Madrid falls short of NYC but Barcelona holds its own against LA, Valencia has more substance than DC, Imperial Seville holds its own against Chicago and Avant-Garde Bilbao is no slouch against SC. Culturally other countries also have a stake in notability, authenticity and intangible heritage of humanity; India and Colombia are some of those countries.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
Winnipeg wouldn't make the top 10.... I kid.

Pretty sure Winnipeg would crack the top 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World