Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 03:41 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,287,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah I don't blame you, America, and probably Mexico, probably get a pretty stereotypical view of Australia. It's like us thinking all Mexicans wear sombrebos and have siesta all day long. Australians are still fairly friendly, but we're just the same as people everywhere. People in the cities will be less likely to take time out to say g'day, and we're so diverse and multicultural as well. I feel we're getting less friendly but more tolerant.

folk who are big into the whole " tolerance " thing are often lacking in natural friendliness

as someone once said they love humanity but hate people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 04:08 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I have this notion that japan is the best country to be a loner

I saw a docu recently about japaneese men who have virtual girlfriends who they talk to online

the English have always had a fondness for eccentrics aswell

Ireland is not a good place to be a loner , its too rural , too small , too conformist and too parochial
Yes but they tolerate and accept a lot of eccentrics. There's plenty of them.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:27 AM

824 posts, read 3,602,445 times
The anglosphere, not only easier to be a loner but to turn into one. The social dynamics are distorted, only in North america and lesser extent other areas of anglosphere world is normal to see people going out to clubs but instead of interacting they are busy with their mobile phones not looking to people around..

Old 11-28-2013, 07:32 AM

824 posts, read 3,602,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
The UK, Scandinavia or the Netherlands. Basically Northern Europe is a good place for loners.

I don't find the US a good place to be a loner and introvert. There's a lot more pressure to marry off by a certain age here (along with fulfill other societal expectations such as go to college, etc). Also people here tend to be far more extroverted. It does very a bit by state though, but nowhere in the US has the same level of tolerance for introversion as you'd find in my country of birth.

Why the Uk and not germany? If any the Uk is much more sexually conservative than GErmany is. the UK is not a liberal country, falls rather in the middle.

It would rather be Scandinavia, Netherlands, Germany, where you have the least social pressures.

the UK is part of the anglosphere anyways, and its the place where most Americanpuritanism was imported from.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:49 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Why the Uk and not germany? If any the Uk is much more sexually conservative than GErmany is. the UK is not a liberal country, falls rather in the middle.

It would rather be Scandinavia, Netherlands, Germany, where you have the least social pressures.

the UK is part of the anglosphere anyways, and its the place where most Americanpuritanism was imported from.
I agree with you to an extent but the UK and US of today are quite radically different societies than they were back in the day. Americans are not known for being reserved and quirky. You only have to look at British vs American humor to see some very obvious differences. The reservedness of British people is more in line with other Northern European countries than the US. In 2013 the Anglosphere is little more than a linguistic common bond. Culturally all of the English speaking countries have evolved quite differently depending on their geographical location.

I don't know enough about Germany to really form an opinion on it. I've only ever been once and I was 7 at the time.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:57 AM

485 posts, read 2,245,353 times
Quote:
Doesn't Mexico have a lot of indigenous influence too? I'm interested in the native culture nonetheless. I guess they are suspicious for good reason. I also hear Peru has a lot of Asians, which is interesting, one doesn't often hear about Asian Hispanics (I'm of Asian background myself). Yeah I get the impression the northern South American countries are more friendly and extroverted, but also more dangerous.
First of all Mexico and it's culture does have a lot of indigenous influence. In numbers, I think Mexico is the country with the largest native american population in the world. I don't think any other country has more people who are indigenous to this continent than Mexico. However, Mexico has a large population and the native american population is about 15-30%ish. Mexico is more mestizo than Peru or Bolivia as those countries have a higher percentage of indigenous people.

I'm guessing you mean Northern South America is more friendly and extroverted than the southern cone. Could be, but I would say to not think 100% of Colombians and Venezuelans are friendly and 100% of the Chileans and Argentinean are not. You will be disappointed with the Colombians & Venezuelans and will miss out on the southern cone. I don't know, I've only been in the US and Mexico. Yeah there are Asian Hispanics, and I didn't realize you were Asian. Are you Indian, Chinese, Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean? I'm actually taking Japanese classes in college and I am studying Mandarin Chinese on my own.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:19 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
The UK, Scandinavia or the Netherlands. Basically Northern Europe is a good place for loners.

I don't find the US a good place to be a loner and introvert. There's a lot more pressure to marry off by a certain age here (along with fulfill other societal expectations such as go to college, etc). Also people here tend to be far more extroverted. It does very a bit by state though, but nowhere in the US has the same level of tolerance for introversion as you'd find in my country of birth.
Individualism seems to breed a desire for privacy, which I think fosters, if anything, a rather fake object-orientated extroversion (e.g. service staff being nice to get tips). I guess in some ways the suburban lifestyle can also discourage being solitary as opposed to living the family lifestyle as it revolves around families with children. Fewer Americans live an urban lifestyle compared to Europe.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
First of all Mexico and it's culture does have a lot of indigenous influence. In numbers, I think Mexico is the country with the largest native american population in the world. I don't think any other country has more people who are indigenous to this continent than Mexico. However, Mexico has a large population and the native american population is about 15-30%ish. Mexico is more mestizo than Peru or Bolivia as those countries have a higher percentage of indigenous people.

I'm guessing you mean Northern South America is more friendly and extroverted than the southern cone. Could be, but I would say to not think 100% of Colombians and Venezuelans are friendly and 100% of the Chileans and Argentinean are not. You will be disappointed with the Colombians & Venezuelans and will miss out on the southern cone. I don't know, I've only been in the US and Mexico. Yeah there are Asian Hispanics, and I didn't realize you were Asian. Are you Indian, Chinese, Filipino, Vietnamese, Korean? I'm actually taking Japanese classes in college and I am studying Mandarin Chinese on my own.
Yes I guess I was counting mestizos as being sort of indigenous, but Mexico's culture as a whole seems more indigenous influenced by far than the US/Canada or Argentina or Brazil.

Of course, these are only generalities. Parents are Singapore and Malaysian of mostly Chinese ancestry, but that's going back over a century now, so I'm pretty much just Australian. Interesting, I took Japanese in school but didn't learn much. How do you find learning Mandarin?

Old 11-28-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
The anglosphere, not only easier to be a loner but to turn into one. The social dynamics are distorted, only in North america and lesser extent other areas of anglosphere world is normal to see people going out to clubs but instead of interacting they are busy with their mobile phones not looking to people around..
Are you sure that's only the anglosphere?

Old 11-28-2013, 11:43 AM

485 posts, read 2,245,353 times
Quote:
Yes I guess I was counting mestizos as being sort of indigenous, but Mexico's culture as a whole seems more indigenous influenced by far than the US/Canada or Argentina or Brazil.

Of course, these are only generalities. Parents are Singapore and Malaysian of mostly Chinese ancestry, but that's going back over a century now, so I'm pretty much just Australian. Interesting, I took Japanese in school but didn't learn much. How do you find learning Mandarin?
At first I thought that Chinese languages (and also Vietnamese) sounded awful. But as I studied it and heard it a lot, I grew to tolerate it, and now I think Mandarin actually can sound nice.

Also, to the guy that said that there are a lot of social pressures in the US, I thought the one about being pressured to go to College isn't true. In my college, there's A LOT of people who start at least in their late 20's or early 30's. Lots of people start later. I don't see a lot of young people my age here actually.

I asked some exchange students if there were older people in their country and they said no, very very few. That people talk bad about the people who go to college even after waiting a few years after high school. I think that's very dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World