Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 08:47 AM

3,484 posts, read 1,403,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Unfortunately I've been in cases where management simply has no clue about how much work is involved or how much it takes to get a new employee up to speed enough to function independently. I watched our top level executive one time get up in front of an auditorium of 600 scientists and engineers and declare that "you people make the job too hard; I should be able to hire anyone off the street and it should only take you two weeks to train them."

Not hardly.

The thing is, you need to decide whether it's worth it to stay or go. If they saw your value and compensated you for it would be one thing, but you're saying they don't see the value you're providing, and the other job would compensate you much better. That really says a lot of how you company feels about the value of your work.
Actually, they do try to show appreciation. They promote me every year, which is why I've been rising up the ranks fairly quickly at this company. However, with promotions, they only give a measly raise of 5%, which isn't much. They don't give raises if you're not promoted, so that's why my boss always pushes me to get promoted once a year, so I keep getting that bump up in salary. And the bonuses I get are peanuts, like 4% of my annual pay. But again, I should be lucky to be getting that because many of my colleagues rant to me about how they don't get any bonuses at all.

So I guess I should be lucky, but I don't feel lucky because the salary bump and bonuses are chump change. I'm sure my boss is pushing as hard as he can, but he can only go as far as what the powers that be would allow him to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 10:24 AM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Great. You're indispensable. So..... are you going to take a better paying new job if it's offered?
If you are as valuable as you think it seems they would try to hire you back after things start falling apart for them. Get them over a barrel and make bank.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Great. You're indispensable. So..... are you going to take a better paying new job if it's offered?
If you are as valuable as you think it seems they would try to hire you back after things start falling apart for them. Get them over a barrel and make bank.
Oh absolutely, they will try to hire me back, for sure. I'm willing to bet my money on it. In fact, when I left my previous job, my former boss kept emailing me on my personal email for over a year trying to get me back. And I suspect the same will happen here because they are more dependent on me at my current job.

I'm actually nervous to resign because it will be a big battle against them and possibly cause some heart attacks. I'm getting more anxious each day, but it's going to be a while as I'm still waiting for the written offer letter to arrive and then will have to wait another week for the background check to clear first. So it won't be until end of this month or early next month when I get to turn in my resignation.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:53 AM

2,340 posts, read 611,959 times
Best of luck to you Wise Shopper.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:07 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
I'm just going to sum up the impressions I've gotten about your company:

Overworked & underpaid employees, no merit or CoL raises, just a measly 5% bump if you're promoted, feel like you can't use your PTO, management is making no effort to improve conditions so that new hires will stay, they depend upon a single employee to keep the business operating and they have no back up plan, boss doesn't seem to have a worry in the world, when you resign they are going to try to pressure (dare I say bully) you into staying. The ship is sinking because others are also about to jump.

I stand by my opinion that people are leaving because of the working conditions at your company and not because they are lazy. After all that you have typed in your responses, it makes me wonder why you would defend this company. OP, has your boss gaslighted you into thinking it's lazy workers so that you don't realize it's actually the environment that causing high turnover?

Old 04-17-2024, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I'm just going to sum up the impressions I've gotten about your company:

Overworked & underpaid employees, no merit or CoL raises, just a measly 5% bump if you're promoted, feel like you can't use your PTO, management is making no effort to improve conditions so that new hires will stay, they depend upon a single employee to keep the business operating and they have no back up plan, boss doesn't seem to have a worry in the world, when you resign they are going to try to pressure (dare I say bully) you into staying. The ship is sinking because others are also about to jump.

I stand by my opinion that people are leaving because of the working conditions at your company and not because they are lazy. After all that you have typed in your responses, it makes me wonder why you would defend this company. OP, has your boss gaslighted you into thinking it's lazy workers so that you don't realize it's actually the environment that causing high turnover?
Well all of that you listed is due to people jumping ship. If people would stay, it would give us time to build a good team and tackle the challenges. But there's never enough resources due to people jumping ship so fast.

It's hard for management to justify giving people good raises if people are just going to jump ship after only working at the company for less than 10 months. People need to stay and prove their worth, which no one is doing.

I admit, the environment is part of the problem due to the demands of our client. But nothing in life is easy. People need to stay, learn the nuts and bolts of the job, and work as a team to tackle these challenges. But no one is doing that.

So yeah, since no one is doing that, and hasn't been for 4+ years I've been with the company, I give up. So, I'm hoping to jump ship as well soon if I land this new job.

Old 04-17-2024, 04:40 PM

7,491 posts, read 3,219,325 times
I see you have an offer. That is your best course of action. You gave this place 5 years and it only gets worse. Though don't be surprised if you find similar problems elsewhere.

Old 04-17-2024, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I see you have an offer. That is your best course of action. You gave this place 5 years and it only gets worse. Though don't be surprised if you find similar problems elsewhere.
Well I'm being referred by an ex-colleague of mine (one of the people that left my current job). He claims it's a much better job and I will love it there. But we'll see. He could be just tricking me so he gets his referral bonus.

The offer has not been presented yet, but in the works. My ex-colleague already called me and said he heard internally that they are going to offer me the job. I then was contacted by HR to fill out an application so they can start preparing an offer package. So it's coming soon.

Old 04-17-2024, 04:59 PM

7,491 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Well I'm being referred by an ex-colleague of mine (one of the people that left my current job). He claims it's a much better job and I will love it there. But we'll see. He could be just tricking me so he gets his referral bonus.

The offer has not been presented yet, but in the works. My ex-colleague already called me and said he heard internally that they are going to offer me the job. I then was contacted by HR to fill out an application so they can start preparing an offer package. So it's coming soon.

Good for you! That's a great way to go where you will know someone.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

2,616 posts, read 3,144,625 times
"People don't want to work" is said by every workplace tyrant I've ever known. Yes, some people don't but that's not everyone. If I go to work at a lot of places and none of them are a fit, it's probably me. If dozens of people come to your company and none stay, it's a problem with your company.

You say people are leaving for equal or less salary. Equal is bad enough, less should clue you in on a serious problem. Few people can afford a pay cut and no one wants less. That shows as toxic on steroids.

"Management is working on it." I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard that. My children would never have to work. I spent 11 years in a toxic workplace. They were in a crisis the day I walked in as a temp and were in a crisis when I left. We were woefully behind in our technology and training. Madness every day. In 11 years, I maybe had 30-60 peaceful days to do my work; usually when I came in on Saturdays, when we could ignore the phones. For 2 of those years, I came in an hour early every day and left 1-2 hours late, until the system shut down. The bits of progress management made were generally too little too late and were offset by new crazy schemes they created. If I were doing it over, I would have left after a year, 2 at the most. Our better young managers were leaving too, the last few years. They saw the writing on the wall.

Your people leaving at a year are seeing that your company isn't work, it's torture. You've invested 5 years and can't take a day off, so you're seeing it too. For sure, you should be the next one to leave. You can't sustain 110% forever. It will catch up to you. Maybe you have a higher tolerance for pain at the moment but that won't last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment