Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 08:35 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

I worked for a hospital system for years. COVID sent this into overdrive.

I left my team in on 1/13/23. By the end of the year, everyone on the team turned over, except one person, and they had gone through two different managers. Healthcare is a mess, but this was another level of bad. The organization is reviled locally. The work was remote, but tons of on-call and after-hours work basically negated the benefits of that. Unbelievable amounts of stress and fingerpointing. Pay didn't reflect similar organizations. Benefits were terrible.

I now work remotely for a county government in another state an hour and a half away. Turnover is very low. I'm on a team of four. I started sixteen months ago. We hired another person a month or so after me - job is based in NC, he was moving from NY, but was originally from Ireland. I don't think he liked the area at all. He moved back to NY and got his old job back within six months.

There has been a little turnover in the support people, but that's typical of any job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 09:45 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
lol, no. The issue is people are finding our client very demanding. Nobody wants to work for a demanding client because it’s too much work.
Then that circles back to a management problem. If they're letting the client run the business, that's no good for anybody involved, and you're witnessing how that all works out. Your higher ups must be in bed with the client (either figuratively or literally) and somehow benefiting, while everyone else down the chain suffers.

Old 04-10-2024, 11:16 PM

3,478 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Then that circles back to a management problem. If they're letting the client run the business, that's no good for anybody involved, and you're witnessing how that all works out. Your higher ups must be in bed with the client (either figuratively or literally) and somehow benefiting, while everyone else down the chain suffers.
Not exactly. The client is paying our company for service. So they have a right to demand service. And management expects us to keep the client happy by fulfilling their service. Plain and simple.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:21 AM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,226 times
Quote:
I'm very very certain that will not be the case. If anything, they will try to ask me to stay longer and pressure me to do so.
OP, do you think your supervisors will offer you a huge salary increase to stay? Would such a pay raise even make a difference? It sounds like your employer desperately needs you, and increasing employee pay is a method for retaining employees.

Also, how efficient is your employer when it comes to hiring? I hear horror stories about employers requiring a ridiculous amount of job interviews and taking a really long amount of time to make offers to people, does your employer do that, thus causing a worker shortage?

Old 04-11-2024, 06:44 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Strong economy...lots of jobs go begging. Turnover is part of the game, especially with a new (temporary?) set of beliefs about work/life balance.

Cyclically speaking, we will have a downturn and suddenly the jobs which were previously so terrible will be back in demand. People will be lucky to have a paycheck and that will bring us back into harmony.

Current squawking is just a symptom of good times. They don't last forever.

Old 04-11-2024, 07:08 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Cetainly a possibility. Are you managing expectations, or are you trying to manage unreasonable expectations, and are you paying employees accordingly. My brother's company sometimes works for a PITA client. Fine. You want our expertise, you pay double because you are high maintenance.

CD has a LOT of management bashers, and I am in management. No one here knows your workplace, but what you are describing sounds like a much deeper issue than people not wanting to work (or work hard for what they are getting paid).

Old 04-11-2024, 08:01 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
lol, no. The issue is people are finding our client very demanding. Nobody wants to work for a demanding client because it’s too much work. People are crying and running away over a little work. People just want a job where they can sit back and collect a paycheck. And then promotion time comes and they wonder why they aren’t getting promoted.
Your company only has one client?

If all your new hires are people who just want to sit back and collect a paycheck, then perhaps your company is hiring the wrong people to start with. Seen it happen.

Quote:
Not exactly. The client is paying our company for service. So they have a right to demand service. And management expects us to keep the client happy by fulfilling their service. Plain and simple.
Do you have a stake in the company? Sounds like you have a deeper relationship than just being a long time employee. Or are you the manager for just this specific engagement? Does the company have a problem keeping people across the board or just in your workgroup?

Old 04-11-2024, 08:12 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
I've been at my company for 5 years and through these 5 years, it's been a constant battle of people leaving left and right. And this is not just normal turnover.... people are leaving after working at our company for less than a year. People's main reason for leaving is because they want a better work life balance and less stress. But the reason we have no work life balance and why the job is so stressful is because people keep leaving and thus, we're always short staffed and carrying a heavy workload. So when we're always short 1-2 people, it's always tough holding the fort. And my job is accounting and our system is very complex that it takes A LOT of time to train people and get up to speed. So investing time to train people and they leave in 10 months, that's an investment of time down the drain. So if people are leaving in less than a year, we constantly have a team that's not properly trained.

I love my job. Because of this constant turnover at my company, I ended being the senior person in our department and rose up the ranks rather quickly. As a result, I got promoted fast and now have a great salary. But I just can't deal with this constant turnover. It's a never ending battle that our management has no solution to. People are just leaving at a faster rate than we can replace them. And we service clients too, so it's putting us in jeopardy with our client when we can't stabilize our staff. People just don't want to stay because they seek other jobs for less work. People just don't want to work. They want relax, collect a paycheck, and rise up the ranks. No one wants to work hard anymore to grow in their career.

And it's hard too because since I'm always the one holding the fort (since I have the most seniority and experience/knowledge on the job), my company is literally so dependent on me. So I find it hard to take vacation days because it's always busy and if I take even a few days off, things will collapse because there's not enough people on board that has stayed long enough to be able to comfortably hold the fort while I'm out.

Anyone else going through this kind of crazy turnover in their job?

When I was a brand new engineer, my first workplace had very high turnover. We basically became a training center for other engineering consultants. Very good young engineering graduates would be hired, were trained, would work around 2 to 3 years and then leave. Managers staying maybe through their 5th year before leaving.

The work pace was a frenzy and we didn't get the most rewarding work. Sor tof a "sweat shop". Just churn the work out, and there was a LOT of it. It is just how that office was. People didn't leave so much for pay, but over the stress of working so intensely under bad conditions, for the same pay they could get elsewhere.

So yes, I have been there and done that but I wasn't a manager or anything so I just had to do my workload. Eventually I left to but I lasted a fairly long time.

In many ways it was the blind leading the blind because of the brain drain.

The really sharp people learned to thrive through the chaos. The less bright just left for greener pastures.

At the end of the day, this office created many sharp managers in their other places of employment. Many of them promoted into fairly high positions. The pressure cooker of having to go your own way and figure things out, turned out to be an intense but valuable OJT environment where the strong survived and then went on to great careers as top quality managers. These people pilfered from our office were very valued and that added to the turnover but our people came to have very good reputations.

So while our office was a bit of a mess, it was a very fertile incubator for really fabulous engineering managers later in their careers. The cream rose to the top.

That doesn't answer your question, so I guess I can answer it this way. "Anything that doesn't kill you makes you stronger". It is mostly true.

Old 04-11-2024, 08:23 AM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
lol, no. The issue is people are finding our client very demanding. Nobody wants to work for a demanding client because it’s too much work. People are crying and running away over a little work. People just want a job where they can sit back and collect a paycheck. And then promotion time comes and they wonder why they aren’t getting promoted.
So then the problem is less the client and more the lack of employee work ethic. My generation pretty much embraced work, so we didn't generally have that particular problem. Meanwhile, there have always been hard workers and lazy people. That is not new. Most people have always just been there for a paycheck and are only willing to work hard enough to get the check. It is always been that the best employees do most of the work.

Old 04-11-2024, 08:42 AM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
But as an employee, it's not your responsibility to hold the business together in the face of poor training, poor staffing, poor pay, poor work/life balance. That's a management problem, not a you problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment