Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 06:32 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Nah. I did it for 6 years, in my 40s. I worked alone. All my jobs were 3 hours. Used the toilet before I got there. Ate before I got there. If I was so sick I couldn't go three hours without a toilet, I would have canceled the job. Who wants someone sick in their house, let alone using their toilet?
You continue to do this throughout this thread. "Because I did this way back when this is what everyone should do!" "Because I have a phobia about people in my house this is what everyone should do!"

Thankfully not everyone is like this and there are normal/sane people who would allow someone to push a "heat" button for 60 seconds to heat up a quick meal or allow someone (gasp) to use a toilet.

Having said this, if these people are being paid by the hour then I'd probably have a talk with them. But in my experience cleaning crews are paid by the job, not by the hour, otherwise they'd have no incentive to get the job done quickly so it's probably moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 06:51 AM

445 posts, read 281,087 times
I see people in this topic saying "They should be working, not eating!" while over in the work from home topics, the same people think that they should be able to walk the dog, do the laundry, run errands, etc while WFH.

Old 02-21-2024, 06:57 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You continue to do this throughout this thread. "Because I did this way back when this is what everyone should do!" "Because I have a phobia about people in my house this is what everyone should do!"

Thankfully not everyone is like this and there are normal/sane people who would allow someone to push a "heat" button for 60 seconds to heat up a quick meal or allow someone (gasp) to use a toilet.

Having said this, if these people are being paid by the hour then I'd probably have a talk with them. But in my experience cleaning crews are paid by the job, not by the hour, otherwise they'd have no incentive to get the job done quickly so it's probably moot.

Not at all. I have not said I think that's what everyone should do. People have asked me to explain myself and my opinions and I have. I don't expect other people to feel the same as I do, and I have not said that I do feel that way.

You are projecting. You are the one being judgemental about other people who don't agree with your opinion, calling us names and telling us we should be ashamed of ourselves, lol.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:49 AM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times
I have usually seen cleaning people eat their lunch in their car. I wouldn't be good with that. Hire a different company.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
IMO, unprofessional. Normally not getting there until 11 (this time 12) means either they like to sleep in. Nothing wrong with that as I take my time getting going in the morning if I only have 1 job for the day that'll take only a few hours. (I clean boats and take people fishing). Or they had a morning job to do.

Either way, they need to learn to allow time for their lunch break. Looks like they'd have it. And popping their food into somebody's microwave without permission and/or laying it out on the counters is just plain rude IMO. What if the food stinks? They might not notice it but someone (the owner of the house) sure might!

If they are only there for a few hours, why do they need to have a break? Hey, I'm all about taking breaks but if its a job for a few hours I'd like to get started, get finished and be on my way.

They are there to clean, not mess up and then "clean" what they messed up. And hourly or not, if they know how to price jobs correctly, there is an hourly rate built in already. So, yep, you're paying for the time they are having their snack/lunch that they should have allotted for beforehand.

If they were running late because they had to clean up the previous clients' party puke then at least they could have asked "hey, um my last client left their place a bit dirty, so it took longer, and we didn't get to eat. Could we just gobble it down here really quick and use your microwave to heat it?" Simple!

But then again, if they brought food in containers that needed to be heated, it was planned, and they have hit that comfortable stage with you that they felt quite comfortable doing so. Just my opinion.
They are not likely 'sleeping in'. Most likely, hers is not their first job of the day. We have a crew of 3-7 that come to our house. We pay them by the week, not by the hour. They rush through so fast, I almost always see something they missed. Yesterday, my nightstand was covered with dust around an area I have a couple of things. They clearly don't bother to pick up even a tiny thing and dust under it.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:54 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I have usually seen cleaning people eat their lunch in their car. I wouldn't be good with that. Hire a different company.
What's wrong with them eating their lunch in their car? Seems like the kind of thing many people on this thread would heartily approve of.

Oh...you're saying they SHOULD be eating in the car. And peeing in the bushes, no doubt. That's good enough for the peons.

Maybe slightly more warm and humane treatment of the people who are helping you out by doing your housework would inspire them to do a better job.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't have anyone coming in to clean, but my mother-in-law does. "Adriana" comes every other Friday and stays for three or four hours. The two of them are friendly. They chat, they have a cup of tea halfway through. When Adriana's son was younger and had the day off school, he would come along because she couldn't leave him alone. MIL always offered him a snack.

I realize that not everyone has this kind of relationship with their cleaners. But some people do. And regular cleaners are a very different situation, in my opinion, from the plumber or electrician who might come to your house only once and never again. No way would MIL tell Adriana she has to leave the house and drive to a gas station to use the toilet.
I had a lady who came to my house for almost 20 years with various workers. They were usually there no more than 2 hours. She never ate in my home. However, had they used the bathroom, it wouldn't have bothered me. We chitchatted about personal stuff. And while they occasionally damaged something in my home, I knew she was doing her best. It was very difficult for her to find help. In the beginning, it was almost always Polish people. She herself was Polish. In the later years, it was more hispanics. Sometimes they lasted a while but often they did not (for all the ethnicities).

Now if I had someone in my house all day, just one person, it might be a bit different. I live in a warm climate now, so someone eating in the car isn't a problem. In Illinois, I could understand them not wanting to do that in the winter.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:14 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Now if I had someone in my house all day, just one person, it might be a bit different. I live in a warm climate now, so someone eating in the car isn't a problem. In Illinois, I could understand them not wanting to do that in the winter.
I live in California and I can understand people not wanting to eat in the car in the summer! It's far too hot, unless you let the car idle and run the a/c the entire time.

Last summer we had several laborers replacing the fence between our house and the neighbor's. It was an extremely hot day and at one point my daughter and I offered to bring them some glasses of cold water. They accepted gratefully and stacked the glasses neatly on the porch when they were done with them.

Should they have brought plenty of their own water bottles, sure, probably. But they didn't, and they weren't complaining. It just seems humane to offer people water (or a place to sit and eat, or a bathroom) These workers are mostly people who are less privileged than those who employ them, and there are a number of posters here who I think should be grateful they don't have to do physical labor in inclement or unfriendly conditions because it's clear that they would probably not be offered any help or sympathy.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:19 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Not at all. I have not said I think that's what everyone should do. People have asked me to explain myself and my opinions and I have. I don't expect other people to feel the same as I do, and I have not said that I do feel that way.

You are projecting. You are the one being judgemental about other people who don't agree with your opinion, calling us names and telling us we should be ashamed of ourselves, lol.
Huh? Posts 7, 59 and 89 are mine, nowhere did I call anyone a name or say anyone should be ashamed. That was about 14 other people who told you that, not me. You also tried calling me out for a....rep? Is that right? Are you okay?

Old 02-21-2024, 01:53 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'd honestly prefer they not eat here...it was weird to see their food in containers sitting there on counters I am paying for them to clean...but I'm also human and think they should be able to have a lunch break. Just not sure it should have anything to do with my house. I guess we'll see if it happens again. I was on work calls and am not sure if they ate in my house...but I'm pretty sure they used the microwave
Their lunch break would need to be scheduled outside of my house cleaning. No way would I want them eating in my house or using my appliances to heat up food. No no no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment