Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 05:22 PM

23,547 posts, read 19,330,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by managerboss1 View Post
Edit: My employee didn't end up quitting. Instead, she continued working. However, I'm so disgusted that I have to work with employee B that I tell all the customers on the sales floor about this employee and that I should've fired her. Then fast forward three weeks later, on Monday, one my sales leads comes up to me and tells me that the day before that employee B told employee A that she can't discuss speculating other people's sexuality and talking about sex acts because that is sexual harassment. Then employee A comes up to me and tells me her concerns that employee B is massively overstepping. Employee B goes to two other sales associates and says on the sales floor that they shouldn't be discussing inappropriate topics on the sale floor, and she says this in front of customers. Everyone came up to me with concerns that they'll be written up for harassment, and I have to say to them that they won't and they have nothing to be afraid about because they haven't done or said anything wrong.

Employee B is seriously overstepping her boundaries by ordering people because she isn't a sales lead and isn't a manager. I'm thinking to myself, do I have to write her up again to stop her from harassing her coworkers? I'm at the end of my rope with this associate. I then fire this associate because she's harassing everyone, causing drama with everyone, and making everyone scared that they're going to be written up/fired for nonexistent issues. I told everyone that people can discuss politics as long as everyone is in agreement. This employee needs a wake up call that they're wrong that the LGBTQ+ community doesn't deserve rights! People like that deserve to be fired and their careers destroyed!
Doubt this "update" actually happened the way you presented it. Seems to suggest more poor judgement on your part, "manager". Per the bolded specifically. It was totally inappropriate for you to discuss other employees, their conduct, or personnel actions such as firing with customers. I suspect there's more than one pot stirrer at this workplace. Suggesting that discussing politics is only OK if everyone "agrees"? Agrees with whom? You? Politics, regardless what side anyone happens to stand on, is a hot button topic best left out of the workplace. You should understand that. It's one thing to fire an employee for inappropriate conduct and quite another to suggest their entire career should be destroyed!

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-12-2024 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2024, 05:19 AM

6,962 posts, read 3,998,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Saying that you think asking if someone believes in god are, in no way, harassment. Full stop.
Someone's religious beliefs, or lack thereof, are a private matter. I would consider that question a gateway to proselytizing if the person being asked said no.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:24 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,396,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
So employees don't have free speech rights at work?
Actually, they don't have free speech rights if they work for a private employer. The First Amendment applies to actions of the government; private employers are free to discipline employees for what they say.

Old 05-15-2024, 02:52 PM

1,292 posts, read 590,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
Actually, they don't have free speech rights if they work for a private employer. The First Amendment applies to actions of the government; private employers are free to discipline employees for what they say.
I wonder to what extent.

Old 05-15-2024, 03:00 PM

3,324 posts, read 1,808,726 times
Wow. The drama lama's been working overtime lately.
The best thing to do would be

Old 05-15-2024, 07:10 PM

23,547 posts, read 19,330,755 times
Quote:
I wonder to what extent.
Before you experiment, I'd start off reading your employee handbook (company and worksite policies and conduct).

Old 05-16-2024, 07:01 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,396,103 times
Quote:
I wonder to what extent.
As most thinks involving legal nuances, it depends. I would say private employers enjoy an almost absolute right to discipline workers for their speech. Public employees (federal, state, local governments), on the other hand, do have constraints. A public employer cannot discipline their employees for speaking about matters of public importance. Example: a county animal welfare officer posts on social media that he is in favor of increasing local real estate taxes to cover the county's projected budget deficit. However, a public employer can discipline an employee for speaking about his specific job conditions. Example: county animal welfare officer posts on social media that his supervisor is a moron for not letting him take off of work the week of July 4th.

Here's an interesting article; it's long, but the executive summary is a good synopsis:

https://www.epi.org/unequalpower/pub...the-workplace/'

Last edited by Aspe4; 05-16-2024 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: changes typo

Old 05-16-2024, 08:06 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 25 days ago)

16,150 posts, read 21,310,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by managerboss1 View Post
Edit: My employee didn't end up quitting. Instead, she continued working. However, I'm so disgusted that I have to work with employee B that I tell all the customers on the sales floor about this employee and that I should've fired her. Then fast forward three weeks later, on Monday, one my sales leads comes up to me and tells me that the day before that employee B told employee A that she can't discuss speculating other people's sexuality and talking about sex acts because that is sexual harassment. Then employee A comes up to me and tells me her concerns that employee B is massively overstepping. Employee B goes to two other sales associates and says on the sales floor that they shouldn't be discussing inappropriate topics on the sale floor, and she says this in front of customers. Everyone came up to me with concerns that they'll be written up for harassment, and I have to say to them that they won't and they have nothing to be afraid about because they haven't done or said anything wrong.

Employee B is seriously overstepping her boundaries by ordering people because she isn't a sales lead and isn't a manager. I'm thinking to myself, do I have to write her up again to stop her from harassing her coworkers? I'm at the end of my rope with this associate. I then fire this associate because she's harassing everyone, causing drama with everyone, and making everyone scared that they're going to be written up/fired for nonexistent issues. I told everyone that people can discuss politics as long as everyone is in agreement. This employee needs a wake up call that they're wrong that the LGBTQ+ community doesn't deserve rights! People like that deserve to be fired and their careers destroyed!
Employee B possibly has grounds to bring charges of sexual harassment or hostile work environment. Trust. I know a guy who was fired for sexual harassment when another co-worker overheard him telling a dirty joke to SOMEONE ELSE. Sex talk in the work place is a no-no, even if it isn't a conversation specifically involving the person who is offended.

Old 05-19-2024, 08:29 AM

17,616 posts, read 16,775,621 times
Have you talked to your corporate HR dept about any of this?

Old 05-20-2024, 08:36 AM

5 posts, read 3,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Have you talked to your corporate HR dept about any of this?
I did, and they told me to just talk to her and ask her why she felt she needed to overstep. However, I fired her because she's such a drama queen and causing everyone to fear that they'll be written up for nonexistent issues. It's employee B's fault for scaring people. It's all her fault. I hate her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment