Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 12:10 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdash View Post
allowing Elk hunting is def. being discussed , sadly.

https://www.carolinasportsman.com/hu...orth-carolina/
Wonder if all those grants and non-profits sharing in the cost of re-populate the Elk in NC will continue to support the effort if a hunting season is enacted on a lottery basis.

On the other hand, I hate to see the herd grow larger. The three Elk hit in traffic accidents in Maggie Valley were in the 800-1000 lbs. range.
I hit a 150 lb. deer with a full sized pickup a few years ago and it did close to 10K in damages and could have been deadly if it had been in the air as it dove across the road in front of me instead of just landing on the ground for it's next leap. I can only imagine the damage an 800 or 1000 lb. Elk might do.

Old 07-09-2023, 02:55 AM

788 posts, read 783,933 times
Guess some drivers will slow down a bit and some may even stop playing with the phones but these drivers tend cause to many wrecks now and pay more attention to the road !

I stopped riding motorcycles a few years back after 45 years on them and you would think a bg as larger a 1000lb bagger would be easy to see and avoid but no . I don't heal as well or react as quickly as in the past but had a few to many close calls mostly from idiots taxing while driving that so common today .

Hey you could live where elk are far rather common ,

Deer can bolt off the side of a road at a dead run and offer you very little to no time to react and bear can be a bit slower than deer but chit happens . So pay attention to the road not the phone and you should be able to avoid the elk , now them deer ?? I hit one but got lucky squared up between my head lights and damage at 45mph was limited to 1500 dollars no paint required all the shinny stuff up front . The deer was not even salvageable . Road crew showed up by chance before nchp and dug a hole for it and burried it quickly .

Old 07-09-2023, 11:09 PM

240 posts, read 236,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdash View Post
allowing Elk hunting is def. being discussed , sadly.

https://www.carolinasportsman.com/hu...orth-carolina/
Why sadly? Are there concerns about tag overallocation? Kentucky elk is resident only, I would have to assume other Eastern states would follow in kind.

Old 07-10-2023, 03:37 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,747,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Guess some drivers will slow down a bit and some may even stop playing with the phones but these drivers tend cause to many wrecks now and pay more attention to the road !

I stopped riding motorcycles a few years back after 45 years on them and you would think a bg as larger a 1000lb bagger would be easy to see and avoid but no . I don't heal as well or react as quickly as in the past but had a few to many close calls mostly from idiots taxing while driving that so common today .

Hey you could live where elk are far rather common ,

Deer can bolt off the side of a road at a dead run and offer you very little to no time to react and bear can be a bit slower than deer but chit happens . So pay attention to the road not the phone and you should be able to avoid the elk , now them deer ?? I hit one but got lucky squared up between my head lights and damage at 45mph was limited to 1500 dollars no paint required all the shinny stuff up front . The deer was not even salvageable . Road crew showed up by chance before nchp and dug a hole for it and burried it quickly .
I almost hit a bear on 240, right in downtown

Old 07-11-2023, 04:26 AM

788 posts, read 783,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I almost hit a bear on 240, right in downtown
Almost is a good thing some times !

Old 07-11-2023, 02:36 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,747,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Almost is a good thing some times !
Oh yea! I was doing 60 and I saw him crawling over the barrier that separates traffic directions. I hit the brakes and thank God he was fast.

Old 09-05-2023, 09:28 PM

6 posts, read 4,282 times
I agree with your take on Asheville. I’ve been several times, always expecting to love it, but always leaving with a sense that it never has lived up to my expectations. It seems to have been poorly planned. The highways seem to weave in and out of the city everywhere you look. It’s not as pedestrian or bike friendly as it should be. It’s in a beautiful part of the country, no doubt, but poorly executed. One idea that could help things would be if part or several parts of the Biltmore grounds were turned into public park space.

Old 09-05-2023, 10:47 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploring8 View Post
I agree with your take on Asheville. I’ve been several times, always expecting to love it, but always leaving with a sense that it never has lived up to my expectations. It seems to have been poorly planned. The highways seem to weave in and out of the city everywhere you look. It’s not as pedestrian or bike friendly as it should be. It’s in a beautiful part of the country, no doubt, but poorly executed. One idea that could help things would be if part or several parts of the Biltmore grounds were turned into public park space.
I'm not crazy about the highway system around Asheville either. It took me a little while to get use to it. You have to remember Asheville is an Appalachian mountain town and really can't be compared to most other cities of similar size; it is truly unique. Its illogical layout is part of its quirkiness.

Old 09-13-2023, 04:27 AM

29 posts, read 39,717 times
We moved to Sarasota from WNC three years ago. Warmer weather, the city’s beauty, a vast array of cultural activities, no state income tax, and the beaches drew us here. What we actually experienced is a climate that holds us hostage to the ac, city government controlled by real estate companies and developers, a high cost of living when you consider sales and property taxes and horrible insurance rates, just to name a few of the problems here. I won’t go into the craziness of the politics and the antics of the general populace. We have a beautiful condo on the bay, in walking distance of the opera house, theaters, and restaurants, but those things are not enough to make up for the drawbacks. We’re moving back to WNC in a few months.

Old 09-13-2023, 08:21 AM

919 posts, read 745,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calixto View Post
We moved to Sarasota from WNC three years ago. Warmer weather, the city’s beauty, a vast array of cultural activities, no state income tax, and the beaches drew us here. What we actually experienced is a climate that holds us hostage to the ac, city government controlled by real estate companies and developers, a high cost of living when you consider sales and property taxes and horrible insurance rates, just to name a few of the problems here. I won’t go into the craziness of the politics and the antics of the general populace. We have a beautiful condo on the bay, in walking distance of the opera house, theaters, and restaurants, but those things are not enough to make up for the drawbacks. We’re moving back to WNC in a few months.
Smart decision! Welcome back (in advance)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina