Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 08:56 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times

Advertisements

AAB, can you expand on the controversy about turning 4 lanes into 3?

It's called a road diet and we have this in Knoxville. It works well in some places like N Central where an interstate runs roughly parallel, but other roads like Cumberland by the University have become untenable.

So I'm wondering what side the SJWs come down on and what are the arguments on both sides.

Old 03-04-2023, 12:43 PM

537 posts, read 443,644 times
I too her negative things about Asheville.

It's a very artsy medium size city surrounded by mountains. There's a thriving brewery scene there with good restaurants. And it's quite a beautiful place.

If you wanted lakes, you would have done better to have moved over the mountain--either to East Tennessee or Northeast Georgia. Hiawassee, Georgia is built on islands in the middle of Lake Chatuge. The Tennessee River runs all the way to Knoxville (650 miles) and there are other upriver tributaries all the way to the Virginia state line.

Many people like the golf course luxury communities south of Asheville running from Hendersonville all the way to Highlands-Cashiers. Gary Player was there designing a golf course and he liked it so well he moved his entire golf course architecture firm there.

Old 03-04-2023, 07:59 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,747,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
AAB, can you expand on the controversy about turning 4 lanes into 3?

It's called a road diet and we have this in Knoxville. It works well in some places like N Central where an interstate runs roughly parallel, but other roads like Cumberland by the University have become untenable.

So I'm wondering what side the SJWs come down on and what are the arguments on both sides.
Merrimon Ave was a 4 lane that’s been turned into a 3 lane with a bicycle lane. It’s been months now regarding the change, I travel that road every day and have seen a grand total of 3 bikes using it.
The SJW that I referred to and other SJWs always turn a discussion into white guilt or privilege or other SJW cause no matter what the original OP is about.

Old 03-05-2023, 04:31 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Merrimon Ave was a 4 lane that’s been turned into a 3 lane with a bicycle lane. It’s been months now regarding the change, I travel that road every day and have seen a grand total of 3 bikes using it.
The SJW that I referred to and other SJWs always turn a discussion into white guilt or privilege or other SJW cause no matter what the original OP is about.
I'm laughing because I have a picture of the SJW always turning the other cheek.... of course they are resourceful, once they've turned the two upper cheeks, they still have the two lower cheeks to turn!!! lol

Old 03-05-2023, 12:05 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,582,370 times
I'm just trying to figure out what the rationale was. Minorites getting slowed down in traffic and losing jobs they can't get to in time? Are there many minority residents in N Asheville? Job centers?

Or is it white privilege to expect to get to work in a convenient manner? How much has Merrimon slowed down?

Old 03-05-2023, 12:19 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,747,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I'm just trying to figure out what the rationale was. Minorites getting slowed down in traffic and losing jobs they can't get to in time? Are there many minority residents in N Asheville? Job centers?

Or is it white privilege to expect to get to work in a convenient manner? How much has Merrimon slowed down?
I don’t know what the rationale was. Money is at the root of all decisions that politicians make. Either the mayor, city council or both pocketed tax payer cash from the contractors who did the work.
It depends on the time of day as to how much more time it takes to get north of south on Merrimon ave. For me 9 times out of 10 I scoot over to Kimberly to get back and forth.
The issue is that they made these changes and bicyclists never use it.
Regarding minorities Asheville is not very diverse and everyone drives a car.

Old 03-15-2023, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 3,852 times
forget tampa...so hot I literally had heat stroke...May through Oct..it was 89 in February...the traffic..the roadway building,the governor....Im really over it

Old 06-23-2023, 02:09 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,656,070 times
Last time we visited Asheville, we found it too crowded, parking was an issue and it just wasn't the same town we enjoyed 20 years ago. (few places are!)

Sometimes popularity can take a toll on a neat town...

Maybe it's just me--I'm older and grumpier? Don't much like crowds.

(give me land, lots of land, with starry skies above--don't fence me in...)

Old 06-24-2023, 09:51 AM

54 posts, read 110,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88keys55 View Post
forget tampa...so hot I literally had heat stroke...May through Oct..it was 89 in February...the traffic..the roadway building,the governor....Im really over it
Also with the extremist government in Florida, you don't want to go near there. For example waging an illegal vendetta against Disney just because they criticized your law (I don't care which side of the isle) is just pathetic when that state has much more needs such as outrageous homeowner insurance issues, LA-style traffic on I275 and I75 education system down the toilet, and rampant idiotic crimes (ever heard of the term "Florida man").

Old 06-26-2023, 12:16 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,088,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeychemist View Post
Also with the extremist government in Florida, you don't want to go near there. For example waging an illegal vendetta against Disney just because they criticized your law (I don't care which side of the isle) is just pathetic when that state has much more needs such as outrageous homeowner insurance issues, LA-style traffic on I275 and I75 education system down the toilet, and rampant idiotic crimes (ever heard of the term "Florida man").
Only if what you are saying deters people from moving to Florida. I have never seen so many out state license plates in Tampa since moving here in 2010. They do not appear to be rentals either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina