Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:12 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times

Advertisements

Not familiar with Sprouts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 02:25 PM

81 posts, read 87,310 times
Publix are all over Florida and I know people who have worked there. They pay minimum wage to start, and are no different than Walmart in that regard. Walmart gets such a bad rap because of propaganda started by some unions who just want to get their hands on all the 100s of thousands of potential dues paying union members.
I don't hear anyone bitching about Target, who from what I can tell treats people exactly the same as Walmart.
Whereas Publix does carry some nice items, and their meat may be a notch up from Walmart, they are much more expensive. So in no way will they be a "Walmart slayer". That is just some journalist's dream.
32 oz of cream at Walmart= 3.78
32 oz of cream at Publix= 5.78

lb of ground chuck at Walmart= 3.80
lb of ground chuck at Publix= 4.50

Old 03-28-2014, 02:55 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatwood View Post
Publix are all over Florida and I know people who have worked there. They pay minimum wage to start, and are no different than Walmart in that regard. Walmart gets such a bad rap because of propaganda started by some unions who just want to get their hands on all the 100s of thousands of potential dues paying union members.
I don't hear anyone bitching about Target, who from what I can tell treats people exactly the same as Walmart.
Whereas Publix does carry some nice items, and their meat may be a notch up from Walmart, they are much more expensive. So in no way will they be a "Walmart slayer". That is just some journalist's dream.
32 oz of cream at Walmart= 3.78
32 oz of cream at Publix= 5.78

lb of ground chuck at Walmart= 3.80
lb of ground chuck at Publix= 4.50

The only way to shop WalMart for food (imo) is to buy only what is pre-packaged. And I'll pay $5.00 a pound if necessary from Publix or the Fresh Market for meat and produce; sometimes from Harris Teeter. The difference in quality is quite noticeable. I buy nice eggs, cage free, for $3 a dozen from a local farmer (who is also our local veterinarian) and has a nice clean farm. WalMart meat looks like it is right off the hoof, still bleeding. Yuck !

Old 03-28-2014, 02:56 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
I have not set a foot in a walmart in many years. never was fond of the staff (with exceptions), the crowd (with exceptions) and their politics (no exceptions).
I experienced publix down south a couple of times and very much liked it, though it was slightly more expensive than walmart (but walmart is not 'cheap' by any means anyway).
Publix is know for a great coupon policy and quite happy employees. you may start of at minimum wage, but as far as I know they offer health insurance for part time staff as well and a much nicer work environment.

in regards of mom and pop stores: I like to go to local hardware stores, flower stores, tire stores, fabric stores, farmer markets etc, but packaged groceries I only buy at earth fare or my new love, trader joe's .
small grocery shops don't have the kind of groceries I want to buy. If you look into health food (sadly, non gmo already means health food :/) you can't buy that at a regular small grocery shop anymore.

I like the idea of Katuah market in biltmore village (biltmore station), but with vegan/vegetarian family members our grocery costs have already sky rocketed
I remember that publix had a big organic department as well.

publix, fresh market, earth fare are all just around the corner of me (I live in south asheville and don't find it to be ugly at all) and I wonder which one will survive.

I just past the whole foods building yesterday, holy cow, THAT thing will be huge. do we need it here ? different question ..

I would love to see BJ's go and Costco come, but don't see this happen.

I am glad we have a gym membership and use it a lot. so much good supermarkets around me, we really have to keep up !

Old 03-28-2014, 04:09 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
I have not set a foot in a walmart in many years. never was fond of the staff (with exceptions), the crowd (with exceptions) and their politics (no exceptions).
I experienced publix down south a couple of times and very much liked it, though it was slightly more expensive than walmart (but walmart is not 'cheap' by any means anyway).
Publix is know for a great coupon policy and quite happy employees. you may start of at minimum wage, but as far as I know they offer health insurance for part time staff as well and a much nicer work environment.

in regards of mom and pop stores: I like to go to local hardware stores, flower stores, tire stores, fabric stores, farmer markets etc, but packaged groceries I only buy at earth fare or my new love, trader joe's .
small grocery shops don't have the kind of groceries I want to buy. If you look into health food (sadly, non gmo already means health food :/) you can't buy that at a regular small grocery shop anymore.

I like the idea of Katuah market in biltmore village (biltmore station), but with vegan/vegetarian family members our grocery costs have already sky rocketed
I remember that publix had a big organic department as well.

publix, fresh market, earth fare are all just around the corner of me (I live in south asheville and don't find it to be ugly at all) and I wonder which one will survive.

I just past the whole foods building yesterday, holy cow, THAT thing will be huge. do we need it here ? different question ..

I would love to see BJ's go and Costco come, but don't see this happen.

I am glad we have a gym membership and use it a lot. so much good supermarkets around me, we really have to keep up !

You will have the new Publix near you soon; we orphans over here in Etowah have to make do with Ingles. Just a tad too far to get to the new Publix on 25 .... my ice cream would melt before getting it home. I do have my priorities.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:27 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
not sure if the location was the smartest choice. they are planning another ingles on sand hill road, that would have been better I think. but what do we know ...

our priorities are similar

Old 04-01-2014, 12:26 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,249,062 times
What is going in on Airport Road (across from Aldi's, Fastbreak ...)?

Whatever it is, the building is huge and it's most definitely a singular business. It only has one front entrance.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:16 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
not sure if the location was the smartest choice. they are planning another ingles on sand hill road, that would have been better I think. but what do we know ...

our priorities are similar
I wonder if Ingle's intent on adding a store on Sand Hill Road in addition to replacing its Smoky Park Highway store next store are indications Publix has been scouting the area for new store sites. I would not be surprised to see Publix acquire some of Bi-Lo's remaining stores in western North Carolina. Bi-Lo has admitted defeat to Ingle's in Asheville.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:22 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Add'l locations by any decent grocery chain are 'good' I suppose, for the greater neighborhood...

I just wish Ingles, even Publix, et al, would ratchet up their quality/selection at existing stores before tossing long term construction dough at new brick & mortar locations.

The cost containment pressure, for almost all of the 'good to better' chain names is enormous, and with a few exceptions I feel the quality and selection in most of the name joints is eroding by the month. Publix is included in that group, at least here in SW FL during winter season.

They all portray themselves as 'freshest/best/quality/pricing', and of course they cannot be all that, and most aren't any of those FABs. Skim back the marketing bs and get better quality: the word will spread, imo.
My 50Cts...
GL, mD

Old 04-01-2014, 04:08 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
You will find quality in abundance at Publix. They know how to add quality new stores.

Somehow I had a vision of Publix opening a store in Hendersonville today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina