Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 01:55 PM

516 posts, read 1,375,703 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

We currently live in Montgomery Village, MD but are looking to purchase. We don't want to live in Montgomery County any longer for various reasons. We were looking at Brunswick, MD but honestly at the moment there's not a ton on the market in our price range (under 150k).. so off we go looking for other places. For my husband's commute we are hoping to get as close to 1 hour as possible, but understand that sometimes that's not going to happen..Hubby works in an industry where he constantly is in a new place (normally every week he is somewhere different) but is basically in, around Montgomery County, Washington DC.

So anyway, can you tell me anything about Harper's Ferry? I'd love to know about homeschooling in the area, but I know not many homeschool so I doubt I'll get that info here... Any suggestions on places that are NOT safe/etc? I've never really been to Harper's Ferry so I'm a bit of a newbie

Anyway, thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 06:47 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,731 times
Not sure you can find much of a house under 150k unless you get a foreclosed townhouse or a small fixer upper. I don't think you'll find many places which most people would consider unsafe here. Violent crime is rare, but there are a few specific subdivisions and areas (with the most affordable houses) which some might find less desirable.

An hour is no problem by car off rush hour, depending on where exactly in Mont Co, DC is usually a little longer than an hour. If I have to go to DC I typically drive to the Shady Grove Metro then ride into town. The MARC comes through Martinsburg, Duffields and Harpers Ferry. The train into DC from the Duffields Stop, which is 1 mile from my house, takes 2 hours.

For homeschooling, WV requires that you submit evidence of High School degree and maybe a College Diploma. You have to submit a letter of intent to homeschool each year to the county school board then submit either standardized test scores or a portfolio review of your child's work done by a certified teacher. There is a large homeschool community here. You can get more information from HSLDA (homeschool legal defense association) and you can research the WV regulations on homeshcooling. It's always best to get it from the state regs yourself to be sure that you are in compliance. We've home schooled our children for several years now; our oldest is in 11th grade.
Let me know if you find a specific area you like and maybe I can give you more info about it.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:56 AM

385 posts, read 1,920,620 times
There are homes (townhomes and fixer uppers) with asking prices less than 150K in Ranson and Charles Town (a few miles west of Harpers Ferry). It would only lengthen the commute a few minutes. However, the drive to Montgomery County from the Eastern Panhandle is pretty brutal. I work in Silver Spring and take the MARC... I won't drive - Did it once, won't do it again). If he is constantly changing his work location, he would pretty much have to drive - or get really familiar with the Ride On schedule and plan routes from the Rockville MARC/Metro Station. Either way, a one hour commute is pretty much impossible.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:16 PM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Don't know your time frame for moving to the Eastern Panhandle area of WV. You may find the link listed below informative:

West Virginia Homes On Tour

Old 12-03-2009, 02:39 AM

735 posts, read 1,170,584 times
Default Harper's Ferry, WV (commuting from)

In addition to the aforementioned comments, I would add that if you are thinking about moving to Jefferson County WV- you should tour the communities that you are thinking about living in. Also make note of what retail is available in the area. Keep in mind that Jefferson County WV is for lack of a better word, is in the country and many of the amenities, services and retail that are readily available in Montgomery County aren't in abundance here- if they are at all.

[For example, if you want to go to the movies, wholesale clubs, major electronics retailers or shopping malls etc. You will have to go to Frederick, Martinsburg, Leesburg or Hagerstown (20- 30 minutes away).]

However, housing prices, taxes are less severe than than in Maryland and Northern Virginia.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:34 PM

516 posts, read 1,375,703 times
Yeah I'm from a very small town in Indiana originally, so I'm fine with those things.. Moreso I'm worried about my hubby's commute. We will probably end up in Brunswick most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia