Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 03:34 PM

4,974 posts, read 8,979,299 times

Advertisements

W.Va.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — West Virginia’s biggest artisan showplace has made American Style magazine’s list of the nation’s top 10 destinations for arts and crafts.

Editor Wendy Rosen’s picks appear in USA Today. She says Tamarack and the other galleries prove that American ingenuity hasn’t died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 04:45 PM

6,105 posts, read 9,145,225 times
That is awsome! I love Tamarack, it truly is a tourist destination!

Old 12-16-2011, 05:57 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,066,997 times
I'm not sure how much it is a destination and how much it is in the right place to do so, but it does draw some visitors. We need the state to build us one of those in the northern portion too.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,495,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I'm not sure how much it is a destination and how much it is in the right place to do so, but it does draw some visitors. We need the state to build us one of those in the northern portion too.
The location is excellent. A junction of the two most important interstates in the state, a prime stopping point for people going from canada/ ny to florida, and in the only real year round vacation area in the state.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
The location is excellent. A junction of the two most important interstates in the state, a prime stopping point for people going from canada/ ny to florida, and in the only real year round vacation area in the state.
Although some would argue that I-70 is a more important east-west thoroughfare than I-64, I agree that the totality of traffic on 77 and 64 provides more through traffic than any place else. As to the notion that it is the only year round vacation area in the state that is false. There is plenty of skiing and white watering activity in our area, Wheeling has Oglebay Park, which draws thousands of visitors year round, and Snow Shoe is very much a year round destination.

That said, the Tamarac is definitely in a good location. We need the state to build us one at the confluence of I-68 and I-79. We could draw throngs from the Pittsburgh and DC/Baltimore areas. In addition, we could draw from the 600,000 people who come to Morgantown every year for athletic, cultural, and entertainment events.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Although some would argue that I-70 is a more important east-west thoroughfare than I-64, I agree that the totality of traffic on 77 and 64 provides more through traffic than any place else. As to the notion that it is the only year round vacation area in the state that is false. There is plenty of skiing and white watering activity in our area, Wheeling has Oglebay Park, which draws thousands of visitors year round, and Snow Shoe is very much a year round destination.

That said, the Tamarac is definitely in a good location. We need the state to build us one at the confluence of I-68 and I-79. We could draw throngs from the Pittsburgh and DC/Baltimore areas. In addition, we could draw from the 600,000 people who come to Morgantown every year for athletic, cultural, and entertainment events.
I agree you North Central WV could use a Tamarack kind of place. But Snow Shoe is alot closer to the original Tamarack then it would be NCWV, just saying.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I agree you North Central WV could use a Tamarack kind of place. But Snow Shoe is alot closer to the original Tamarack then it would be NCWV, just saying.
Actually, I beg to disagree. Clarksburg is 109.8 miles from Snowshoe. Beckley is 115.3 miles from Snowshoe. Pocahontas is closer to NCWV than to southern WV, but the High Alleghenys are a district of their own.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:21 PM

532 posts, read 1,092,423 times
I had lunch there yesterday and it was packed.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:34 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,326,188 times
Thank You, Gaston and Rachel for the idea of Tamarac..you were years ahead of the curve.

It is the incredible true statement of the real Wv and her people!

We need several more...Wheeling on I-70...EP on I-81....Bluefield on I-77...Huntington on I-64...and at Bruceton..I-68.

Where are they?

Certainly not in the minds of our legislative buffoons...and we could host several other eateries other than the Greenbrier!

Old 12-19-2011, 09:14 PM

I agree that we need another Tamarack type center. But I think only one more will work. If take something that is unique and multiply it, then it ends up not being so unique after all. 5 or 6 Tamaracks is not a good idea because it makes the idea cookie cutter.

now one more will work, and I think that it needs to be in either Morgantown or somewhere along Corridor H when it is complete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia