Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 03:38 PM

5 posts, read 7,348 times

Advertisements

A few years back I drove through West Virginia and ran across this beautiful mountain town. I might have found just one portion of the town, there was a small shopping center surrounded by some incredible bridges with mountains on all sides and what looked like a lot of coal plants. I believe it was near Tamarack as well. I've always been enamored with the city but never caught the name of it, so this is a wild shot in the dark, does anyone know of anything that fits the description?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 06:49 PM

6,088 posts, read 9,124,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonder View Post
A few years back I drove through West Virginia and ran across this beautiful mountain town. I might have found just one portion of the town, there was a small shopping center surrounded by some incredible bridges with mountains on all sides and what looked like a lot of coal plants. I believe it was near Tamarack as well. I've always been enamored with the city but never caught the name of it, so this is a wild shot in the dark, does anyone know of anything that fits the description?
Any guess on the size of the town? Tamarack is in Beckley, but it doesn't sound like that was the town you saw. Were you on an interstate, or any other major road?

If it had a small shopping center and cool bridges, then I'd say Hinton or Montgomery.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:16 PM

180 posts, read 352,700 times
Kind of sounds like Chelyan. Which is just southeast of Charleston.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:33 AM

5 posts, read 7,348 times
I can't recall the interstate I was on at the time. (Was driving from Chicago to North Carolina) I remember it being not too far from the time I left the area to when I hit Tamarack. As I was leaving I had to go through the side of a city on a road that hugged a mountain adjacent to a body of water.

This might not help a lot, but I remember some of the stores in that shopping center, one was a Family Dollar and the other was a fast food place, I think it was McDonalds. And, I know this might sound like a million places, but it was very isolated, you had to take some long and winding bridge/roads to get out of there.

Sorry for the lack of details, this has just been bothering me for ages. I've been pretty enamored with this place since I ran across it, but I have no idea what its name is.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:46 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,885,585 times
I am guessing Fayetteville off Rt. 19 just before getting to Beckley.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:11 PM

6,088 posts, read 9,124,662 times
Did you pay tolls? If so you were on 64 and the WV Turnpike. It sounds like Quincy, but I don't know what you whould have liked so much about it. Which leads me to believe that you were somewhere else.

It wasn't Charleston was it??? LOL

Old 11-27-2011, 03:03 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,239,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
I am guessing Fayetteville off Rt. 19 just before getting to Beckley.
That's my guess too.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:05 PM

389 posts, read 797,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
It wasn't Charleston was it??? LOL
That's what I was thinking, actually.

"As I was leaving I had to go through the side of a city on a road that hugged a mountain adjacent to a body of water."

Wouldn't that sort of describe I-64 headed east from the I-77 merger? Especially through Kanawha City where the interstate is cut into the side of the mountain and borders the Kanawha River on the other side. Pretty sure there's a shopping center right next to the interstate with a Dollar Tree and fast food places too. So that's my theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia