Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:36 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,329,949 times

Advertisements

Large artistic presence? ....you lost me on that one...ha ha ha...

Do we have one single art museum outside of Morgantown?

Tamarac IS an artistic presence....ha ha ha....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 09:03 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,497,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post

The Clay Center. There is an art museum in Huntington as well. Also, despite having everything for sell, Tamarack acts as an art museum because most of the signature items are out of the price point of the average person.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:07 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,497,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Is Tamarack profitable?
no and that is why there will never be another one built, at least until the current one can turn a steady profit, which will probably never happen.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:52 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,894,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattec View Post
The Clay Center. There is an art museum in Huntington as well. Also, despite having everything for sell, Tamarack acts as an art museum because most of the signature items are out of the price point of the average person.
Tamarack is not an art museum. It is a market. When they start selling Salvador Dali and Rembrandt we can consider them a museum.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:21 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,076,060 times
Quote:

There are several talented artists in NCWV, many of whom display their works for sale at Appalachian Galleries in Morgantown. I agree that Tamarac is an artistic presence. We could easily support such a presence here too, as could Wheeling and probably Huntington. The fact that they only built one near Beckley was pure political pork. They also squandered millions on an unnecessary prison facility in Fayette County, but that is another story.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:01 PM

4,988 posts, read 8,996,077 times
Quote:
The Huntington Museum of Art is actually the largest art museum in the state. They have a great permanent collection and some wonderful traveling exhibits so you'll have to check it out sometime if you have never been. Then Marshall also has the Birke Art Gallery along with Gallery 842 downtown. I think Lewisburg has one in their downtown as well.

Huntington Museum of Art of Huntington, West Virginia

The Birke Art Gallery

Gallery 842

Old 12-20-2011, 05:16 PM

Unfortunately there are no really good art museums in WV, or any museums for the matter. The closest real art museum to WV is probably the Carnegie art Museum in Pittsburgh. There are also some great art museums in DC.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:33 PM

6,114 posts, read 9,159,838 times
Quote:
Unfortunately there are no really good art museums in WV, or any museums for the matter. The closest real art museum to WV is probably the Carnegie art Museum in Pittsburgh. There are also some great art museums in DC.
Andy Warhol museum in Pittsburgh too. I do think that the Clay Center and Culture Center's galleries are top notch though. i've never been to the one in Huntington, but I've heard good things.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Andy Warhol museum in Pittsburgh too. I do think that the Clay Center and Culture Center's galleries are top notch though. i've never been to the one in Huntington, but I've heard good things.
Yeah, there is the Warhol museum, and another one I believe. I have only been to Carnegie though. Im sure the Clay Center and the museum in Huntington are good, but I doubt they can compete with a metropolitan museum.WV doesnt have any cities/metro areas big enough for a good museum. Even with a bigger population a city is not guaranteed a good museum. Austin TX didnt have any good museums either and it has 700,000 people, and a metro area of 1.5 million.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:11 AM

6,114 posts, read 9,159,838 times
Quote:
Yeah, there is the Warhol museum, and another one I believe. I have only been to Carnegie though. Im sure the Clay Center and the museum in Huntington are good, but I doubt they can compete with a metropolitan museum.WV doesnt have any cities/metro areas big enough for a good museum. Even with a bigger population a city is not guaranteed a good museum. Austin TX didnt have any good museums either and it has 700,000 people, and a metro area of 1.5 million.
Our best museums here in WV are not for art. The town of Harpers Ferry is a great example of oa museum. Cass Railroad is another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia