Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2023, 11:38 PM

387 posts, read 470,740 times

Advertisements

We are deeply considering a move to Wellsburg WV outskirts, not in the city of Wellsburg proper.
We are looking for basically any info.

We are looking to mostly be hermits in a more rural area, but we will need to know where to begin to familiarize ourselves with local businesses etc.

The house will need some work & will be looking for people in various trades.
Also would like to know about local restaurants/diners.
Trying to get info for locals that may be able to plant our fence posts (needs kabota or similar with an auger but to drill 36" down).
It's such a small town, we may need to pull from other areas that are close.

Anyone with experience with Wellsburg please respond.
Thanks Much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 12:17 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Went to summer camp there many moons ago. Recent amazing property there listed for $3 million now under contract. The Vandergrift estate. Long story worth reading. Anyway, not the same town anymore but still places to find quiet. Just hookup with a local agent and they can help. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2023, 05:27 AM

387 posts, read 470,740 times
***Small world*** I went to Camp Rolling Hills, I think it was '80 & '81, Cherokee one year & Comanche the next.
Catholic Knights of St George owned the property then I believe.
It was truly the 2 best summers of my life as a child. Amazing job they did & I am so thankful I got to experience it.
I can't remember the camp counselors names, but I do remember EVERY SINGLE THING they taught me to this day!
LOVED everything about it-kept touch with a couple of girls via letter for a while. So many years ago...

I saw the property listing & all of those pics-showed it to hubby-memories flooded back-told hubby play the lottery so we can buy it & I can put the summer camp back where it should be, & we will create our own community.

I did put an offer on a house in Wellsburg, just on the other side of that estate, but the seller's were not even remotely realistic, Think there may be something in their water. I could write a novel about some of the insane sh*t that went down over that deal during 10 days...got a little taste of the way the locals do business there, and I'd not survive, my brain would explode. My take-away is that the town is 30 years behind, which was why I was drawn to it, but they all think they are going to be millionaires by signing contracts with the landman. They also believe they invented the real estate game. So far 3 properties I put offers on, that stated land rights convey...with leases...that they only got $10 for, & agreed to destroy their own land- no one reads or negotiates their leases-Watching history repeating itself in that tiny town, & it is sad. In WV, unlike PA, disclosure is not required, so you MUST do research of everything before you buy.

Honestly, I want to live in New Cumberland, & be close to Tomlinson Run State Park, but pickins are SLIM there, has VERY low population & good houses rarely go to market unless someone dies, so we've been driving back country roads a couple times per week looking for FSBO in the sticks.
Wellsburg is off my radar unless we hit the lottery & I will by that 500 acre estate! I could live the remainder of my life never leaving that property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia