Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 03:45 PM

19 posts, read 6,836 times

Advertisements

My brother invited my wife and I to his wedding and he wants me to bring my kids . He lives 4 to 5 states away. I have 4 kids under six . It would cost me $2000 just for the flight alone . Is it wrong to not bring my kids? It’s such a hassle for my wife and I. I was thinking of driving but it would take me almost 18 hours one way. FYI I have a 1 year old .

Old 01-02-2024, 07:26 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
I feel like your brother is clueless about the cost, effort and overall stress of expecting your young family to travel for his wedding.

Can you and your wife get away for the weekend? Are there people would could look after the kids for a couple of nights, or could you go on your own?

Old 01-02-2024, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
I feel like your brother is clueless about the cost, effort and overall stress of expecting your young family to travel for his wedding.

Can you and your wife get away for the weekend? Are there people would could look after the kids for a couple of nights, or could you go on your own?

He is definitely clueless. He has no kids and he is guilt tripping me into bringing my kids . My mother in law can’t take care of all 4 and she is the only person my wife trust to take care of the kids. I could go on my own but he would be really upset if I don’t bring the kids.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oats123 View Post
He is definitely clueless. He has no kids and he is guilt tripping me into bringing my kids . My mother in law can’t take care of all 4 and she is the only person my wife trust to take care of the kids. I could go on my own but he would be really upset if I don’t bring the kids.
4 kids under the age of six are going to get absolutely nothing out of the wedding and reception. Having to dress up, sit quietly, not understand what is going on, be away from home in an unfamiliar place, it’s a recipe for potential disaster.

It’s easy for me to say, but I wouldn’t give a flying fig if he’s upset or not. He’s not realistic and he simply doesn’t get to make decisions about your family time, travel and expense.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:27 PM

Quote:
4 kids under the age of six are going to get absolutely nothing out of the wedding and reception. Having to dress up, sit quietly, not understand what is going on, be away from home in an unfamiliar place, it’s a recipe for potential disaster.

It’s easy for me to say, but I wouldn’t give a flying fig if he’s upset or not. He’s not realistic and he simply doesn’t get to make decisions about your family time, travel and expense.
Thank you. I feel the same way. He also told our entire family that my kids are going and they are already bugging me about it. Just trying to find a way to tell him and the rest of my family in a nice way

Old 01-02-2024, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oats123 View Post
Thank you. I feel the same way. He also told our entire family that my kids are going and they are already bugging me about it. Just trying to find a way to tell him and the rest of my family in a nice way
When is the wedding?

Your entire family sounds clueless about the logistics of this. Don’t engage them on the topic.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:58 PM

Quote:
When is the wedding?

Your entire family sounds clueless about the logistics of this. Don’t engage them on the topic.
Next month. Feels that way. I’ll try to avoid the IMs and guilt trips

Old 01-02-2024, 09:38 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
How about leaving the two youngest with your MIL and take the two oldest. It's still going to be a hassle.

Old 01-02-2024, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
How about leaving the two youngest with your MIL and take the two oldest. It's still going to be a hassle.
My two oldest are the most challenging. The two younger are calmer . I’ll talk to my brother . My relatives are already making plans involving my kids unrelated to the wedding .

Old 01-03-2024, 12:48 AM

356 posts, read 284,261 times
dear Lord, do not entertain your brother's delusional ideas.
when i was a kid i told my sister i wanted a pony. she never bought one for me. i am over it, and now hate her for completely different and unrelated reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings