Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 09:33 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,619,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If you're looking at what's customary - the groom dancing with your mother and not his step-mother is not customary and seems like a passive-aggressive way to slight her.

There are other ways to honor his mom - the dance doesn't allow any way to honor her and this doesn't seem to be a good way to start your relationship with his fathers second wife.

I have a good relationship with his dad & wife tho...... & she would still be honored too by dancing with his dad. I really don't think she is comfortable with dancing with my groom in that spotlight anyways. They haven't been married long & she knows she isn't his mom..........

I don't have to do what is customary.....we are not having a traditional wedding.......but I'm not going to take away my first dance with my groom. That's 1 of the few traditional things we will do.......& wedding cake.......

The question about honoring his mom isn't related to what we do about the dancing tho..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 09:35 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,246,845 times
Quote:
If you're looking at what's customary - the groom dancing with your mother and not his step-mother is not customary and seems like a passive-aggressive way to slight her.

There are other ways to honor his mom - the dance doesn't allow any way to honor her and this doesn't seem to be a good way to start your relationship with his fathers second wife.
I agree. As a new DIL you don't want to insult your new MIL (and probably FIL, too) at your wedding reception.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I agree. And it will seem that way to others as well since OP and her groom will not be able to explain to the crowd why they made that choice.

I just don't see how dancing with your mom is honoring his mom. I think you'll have to honor his mom in some way other than these dances.

The dancing has nothing to do with honoring his mom.....that's why I have a post out with that question.......

I like the speech suggestion.....& think if his brother gave it.......it fits. Maybe me too.......about how I wish I could have met her..........

Old 12-17-2019, 09:55 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,685,650 times
If you want to include your mother, than have her walk with you down the aisle with your father on one side and her on the other. I've seen several brides do this to honor both parents.

This whole dance thing is a very bad idea and those of us more seasoned are trying to caution you so you avoid trouble down the line. You can get along with her just fine, but this will be perceived as a slight and may change your relationship with her.

Old 12-17-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. As a new DIL you don't want to insult your new MIL (and probably FIL, too) at your wedding reception.

she won't be my MIL because she isn't the groom's mother......and she's not looking to be IMO. She asked I call her by her 1st name........

She's a very nice lady that doesn't want that spotlight.....but if she wants to....ofc....it's not up to me.......

Old 12-17-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
If you want to include your mother, than have her walk with you down the aisle with your father on one side and her on the other. I've seen several brides do this to honor both parents.

It's not a traditonal wedding........there won't be a bridal procession...or a bridal party......

Old 12-17-2019, 10:44 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,685,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It's not a traditonal wedding........there won't be a bridal procession...or a bridal party......
Okay, but that doesn't mean you can't find a more appropriate way to honor your mother. The dance isn't a way to honor her either.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Okay, but that doesn't mean you can't find a more appropriate way to honor your mother. The dance isn't a way to honor her either.

Oh...there is nothing inappropriate about my mom dancing with my groom while I dance with my dad........ It's traditional at many weddings before or after the groom dances with his mom.........it's just that we won't have that part........so we need to honor his mom in a special way..............

Old 12-17-2019, 11:19 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,246,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
she won't be my MIL because she isn't the groom's mother......and she's not looking to be IMO. She asked I call her by her 1st name........

She's a very nice lady that doesn't want that spotlight.....but if she wants to....ofc....it's not up to me.......
Trust me (I am a very seasoned 67 year old), she will be your MIL because she is married to your FIL. In most marriages (not all, but most) it is the wife that handles the social calendar and handles the gift giving and handles the decisions on how much interaction with the grandchildren and many more things (perhaps even planning things like Medical POA and wills).

You don't want to ever **** off your future MIL.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Trust me (I am a very seasoned 67 year old), she will be your MIL because she is married to your FIL. In most marriages (not all, but most) it is the wife that handles the social calendar and handles the gift giving and handles the decisions on how much interaction with the grandchildren and many more things (perhaps even planning things like Medical POA and wills).

You don't want to ever **** off your future MIL.

I don't plan on upsetting her.....& that means I won't call her my MIL or "mom" because she requested I don't....

Wills are not a worry.....his dad's money is his dad's money....or hers.......I don't know what that has to do with my groom dancing with my mom at our wedding tho.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings