Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 11:08 AM

1,112 posts, read 886,476 times

Advertisements

Photographer approached our Pastor asking if he could use the building to pose the bridal party in front of the stained glass windows. No one is a member...wedding taking place elsewhere. Thoughts? Would you ask for a donation? Anyone think this is a weird request?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 11:26 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,802,103 times
Well, if they wouldn't be interfering with any of the church's normal activities, I see no issue with photos being taken at that location.

If their presence would cause some disruption, then an appropriate fee would be in order.

Rich

Old 06-02-2019, 03:15 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Churches where I live usually have that guide these decisions.

Some denominations don't care. The Church of Christ doesn't view the building itself as sacred and doesn't dictate who marries there, whether they have music etc.

Sounds like y'all need to do some denominational research and set a policy so it doesn't seem arbitrary.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:06 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,186,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Photographer approached our Pastor asking if he could use the building to pose the bridal party in front of the stained glass windows. No one is a member...wedding taking place elsewhere. Thoughts? Would you ask for a donation? Anyone think this is a weird request?
Yes, I think that it is a weird request. It reminds me of when some teens would wear religious articles like crucifixes or ornate crosses as secular jewelry or to make fun of organized religion.

If they are outside the church they would still be on private property and inside the church may involve needing someone to open the doors and/or monitor their behavior. Yes, a donation should be requested if the pastor says yes.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:44 PM

6,832 posts, read 11,568,031 times
What’s the church’s policy about weddings for non-members? If you allow them, I’d consider it but charge them/ask for a donation.

If weddings are reserved to church members, no way.

And I think it’s a pretty strange request.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:46 PM

I think it is weird to go to another church just for the pretties....phony.... Imho. A slap in the face of the original church where the ceremony took actually place. A church is not a public venue per se. go to a public park like everyone else does. I dunno..weird to me.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:47 AM

6,567 posts, read 8,411,165 times
Quote:
I think it is weird to go to another church just for the pretties....phony.... Imho. A slap in the face of the original church where the ceremony took actually place. A church is not a public venue per se. go to a public park like everyone else does. I dunno..weird to me.
I think if your church has exceptionally beautiful stained glass windows, I can see why they may like those for a backdrop for some of their photos.

I think it would be acceptable to ask for a donation. What harm would there be in allowing them to take photos there? What answer did your pastor give?

Old 06-03-2019, 11:09 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,274,885 times
Quote:
I think it is weird to go to another church just for the pretties....phony.... Imho. A slap in the face of the original church where the ceremony took actually place. A church is not a public venue per se. Go to a public park like everyone else does. I dunno..weird to me.
Yes, I'd find it odd. "Spiritual but not religious" and all that. At the very least I'd ask for a donation. If they want the pretty stained glass as a backdrop, maybe a local museum or historic house would be a better choice.

For those who have a bit of time, here's one of the most profound things I've ever read on a similar situation: a pastor asked to perform a wedding ceremony in an event space that used to be a church, "But could you leave out all that 'Father, Son and Holy Spirit' stuff?"

https://gordonatkinson.net/rlp-archi...ed-be-thy-name

Old 06-03-2019, 01:57 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,043,460 times
I don't think it's that odd of a request, and nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I think a smallish donation ($20 maybe) paid to the person who unlocks the door and babysits the wedding party, would be perfectly acceptable.

The church I used to belong to had a gym, that was rented out on various nights to basketball teams and Jazzcercise classes. In a way, it's a community service.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yes, I'd find it odd. "Spiritual but not religious" and all that. At the very least I'd ask for a donation. If they want the pretty stained glass as a backdrop, maybe a local museum or historic house would be a better choice.

For those who have a bit of time, here's one of the most profound things I've ever read on a similar situation: a pastor asked to perform a wedding ceremony in an event space that used to be a church, "But could you leave out all that 'Father, Son and Holy Spirit' stuff?"

https://gordonatkinson.net/rlp-archi...ed-be-thy-name
Thank you for the link....sad......incredibly .....sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings