Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 04:35 PM

5,457 posts, read 4,068,971 times

Advertisements

I would get a flattering dress that fit, as similar to the monstrosity as possible, and wear it. If questioned, "Oops, the original dress got a horrible rip/zipper broke/etc" at the last minute and "Luckily I had this dress in my closet."

Remember it is easier to get forgiveness than permission. Of course, you may be called upon to produce the damaged goods, so be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 16 days ago)

35,665 posts, read 18,029,124 times
You know her well. Since you suspect she is actually trying to make you look unattractive in this dress, it's time to draw the line.

I think I'd contact her and say the cost to alter the dress to allow it to zip up is more expensive than the dress itself, and you're not willing to do that. And then tell her you hope she still wants you as a bridesmaid, and you'll choose a dress yourself in a similar color as the one she chose.

I think we're all dying to see the dress. ;D There are some dresses that are unquestionably horrible, and some that are a matter of taste.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I still don't see what age has to do with it. People don't have to restructure their weddings based around their age. I don't care if it's a ninety year old Grandma getting married. The OP is complaining because she doesn't like the dress and it doesn't fit, so she should have stuck to that. Instead she chose to make this an age issue. She mentions the age several times in her post, actually.

It is still fairly common that brides choose the color and style of gown that their bridesmaids wear. That's pretty traditional. It doesn't matter if someone is 45 years old.
It's not just her age. It's the fact that there is only 1 attendant. The dress doesn't have to fit multiple body types, or please several people, or be matchy-matchy with other dresses. There is 1 person. That opens far more possibilities. Plus, by 45, we should be over caring about stuff that doesn't matter. you missed the point.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:56 AM

561 posts, read 325,300 times
Ugly is one thing. Ill-fitting is another especially if it won't even zip.

My daughter picked nice dresses that all four girls liked and then they ordered them online and out of four attendants only one bothered to get it fitted properly. Of the other three, one was way too small and looked poured into it and ready to bounce out while the other two girls were very petite and looked like they were playing dress-up with bodices that were generically made for more endowed women. It was not a nice look for any of them or as an overall wedding party.

Regardless of how the dress is styled if it doesn't at least fit decently the bride will forever have ugly, expensive pictures to prove it.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:39 PM

19,435 posts, read 15,276,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
Ugly is one thing. Ill-fitting is another especially if it won't even zip.

My daughter picked nice dresses that all four girls liked and then they ordered them online and out of four attendants only one bothered to get it fitted properly. Of the other three, one was way too small and looked poured into it and ready to bounce out while the other two girls were very petite and looked like they were playing dress-up with bodices that were generically made for more endowed women. It was not a nice look for any of them or as an overall wedding party.

Regardless of how the dress is styled if it doesn't at least fit decently the bride will forever have ugly, expensive pictures to prove it.
When I was a bridesmaid, the bride picked the material and then we all had the dresses made, so of course we were sized first and the dresses fit perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
Thanks everyone for the great advice! Waiting to her back from the bride.
I wonder how it all turned out.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:18 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,097,394 times
You are playing these ridiculous games and you are 45? Are you sure you even want to attend the wedding? If you do , just buy a dress that is somewhat similar in style/color to what she sent you. Then take a picture and just tell your friend that this what you will wear. If she does not agree, just forget the whole idea and don't go...

Old 02-24-2019, 04:40 PM

759 posts, read 3,147,117 times
I would just tell her that the seamstress can't do anything with it and you and she can go dress shopping together, or at the very least, you have to be there when she orders a dress since she doesn't know your measurements.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:35 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,398,368 times
I got married for the 2nd time @ 36 … and I said the color was black and I let my girls pick the dresses they wanted.

I didn't want to deal with people feeling uncomfortable nor feeling the dress was too expensive or something. The way I did it, I knew everyone was going to be happy.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:37 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I still don't see what age has to do with it. People don't have to restructure their weddings based around their age. I don't care if it's a ninety year old Grandma getting married. The OP is complaining because she doesn't like the dress and it doesn't fit, so she should have stuck to that. Instead she chose to make this an age issue. She mentions the age several times in her post, actually.

It is still fairly common that brides choose the color and style of gown that their bridesmaids wear. That's pretty traditional. It doesn't matter if someone is 45 years old.
Age matters b/c the dress should be appropriate. A frilly prom type dress a 16 year old would wear wouldn't be suitable for a 45 year old. Also, everyone ages differently @ 45, perhaps OP doesn't feel comfortable showing skin or whatever. Not all 40-somethings do … women's bodies change.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:10 PM

6,833 posts, read 11,571,034 times
In multiple bridesmaid weddings, I really like the new trend of the bride picking the color and then the bridesmaids each pick the dress they like/feel is flattering to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings