Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 11:32 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times

Advertisements

It sounds like she might have sent a picture in to one of those schlock cheapy Chinese knockoff places to have something copied....if you are near her, you might want to take it to her to show her how bad it is...

And that's another thing...seamstresses aren't miracle workers. The fix to that is basically finding matching material (and if it's from China, forget it) separating the side seams and adding width. If there is any sort of nap or grain, it has to match, or it will be even more obvious. And it is obvious. Instead of one side seam on each side, you'll have two, and the placement will be odd. It's called a gusset, if I recall correctly.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 11-05-2017 at 11:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 03:05 PM

23,291 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
hi- need some opinions. A long time friend of mine has asked me to be her bridesmaid, matron of honor, whatever you call it. We are 45 years old and this is her first wedding. I will be the only bridesmaid. So, I just received the bridesmaid dress she ordered for me. It is beyond horrific. Firstly, it is way too small, cannot zip up, shiny and has layers of material. Reminder, we are 45! I was a bit surprised she wanted me to wear a typical bridesmaid dress and not just allow me to purchase a dress on my own, as I am the only person in her bridal party. I tried on for my family, who were in hysterics at the sight of me in this nightmare of a dress. Generally, I would suck it up and make it work, but this is bad. Not even sure I will be able to find a seamstress who will be able to add material so I can zip up the back. Anyways, sent the bride photos of me in the dress. She stated that it looked beautiful and I had to wear it. She said I need to coordinate with the THREE YEAR old flower girl (whose dress is white?). I am going to see people at this wedding that I haven't seen since high school. I wanted to look nice. I will be uncomfortable and embarrassed. The bride is a bit combative and I know, unless I wear the damn dress. But,it would be so easy for me to buy another dress, in which I feel good in. Opinions? What to do?
IMHO do what you can to get the dress fixed because that's what your combative stressed out bride insists on. Then, rock that horrible dress. Remember, all those people you worry about seeing at the wedding also know that bridesmaid dresses are the bride's choice for good or bad, not yours. They will respect the fact that you care about your friend even to the point of looking ridiculous. They will probably also sympathize with you. Don't waste effort over thinking the bride's reason for choosing what she did. When the wedding is over, take the thing out in the back yard and burn it while toasting to your friend. Its one day to give away.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-05-2017 at 03:15 PM..

Old 11-05-2017, 05:51 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,958 times
Just be honest with the bride and tell her you're really uncomfortable with this dress and if she wants you to be a bridesmaid then you'll find something comparable to what she chose that you both can agree on.

You mentioned she is combative (ugh) ok well she still needs to also be reasonable and be able to have a mature conversation with you about the dress without the drama.

As you mentioned you're too old for this nonsense.

I've been a bridesmaid before and know about the awful dresses but now there's so much to choose from.
I have made it clear to my long time friends that are divorced if they marry again to please not ask if I want to be a bridesmaid.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:34 PM

396 posts, read 435,176 times
Thanks everyone for the great advice! Waiting to her back from the bride.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:08 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the great advice! Waiting to her back from the bride.
So, has she always been this unreasonable, or did she recently morph into a bridezilla? I got married at 45 and cannot imagine any of this scenario!

Old 11-06-2017, 04:20 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
What kind of friend does this to a friend? I got married at 42 and my one attendant picked out her own dress and was pleased that I told her I didn't care what it looked like or what colour it was, as long as she was happy with it.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:00 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Thanks for the ideas! Going to try and take some photos of other dresses. But,I sorta feel like she does not want me to look good, so not sure me looking better is going to be a good thing. Just feel like I am too old for this nonsense. We are not 25 years old. Trust me, I have been a bridesmaid over 20 times, but I had other women in the ugly dresses alongside me. Plus, none were quite this ugly.

I kind of feel like you have the upper hand here. I would just tell her you find the dress to be a monstrosity, and you simply will not wear it. And then offer her a couple of suggestions, such as a few people have offered.

She can say 'no', and you can say "Alright then, I'm out. I will not wear that dress". Or, she'll take you up on one of your suggestions.

I'm a pretty easy going person, but I wouldn't wear a dress that looks horrible on me. I just wouldn't do it. Combative friend or not.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:01 PM

I got remarried at 45 too. I had one attendant. She and I went shopping together, and she picked out a dress she liked. She looked great, and totally appropriate.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:05 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
OP did you hear back from your friend yet?

Old 11-07-2017, 03:06 PM

You're both grown women. I'm really surprised the 2 of you didn't shop together to find a dress you both liked. Do one of you live out of town, and so you couldn't shop together? Or is she just arbitrary that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings