Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 51,859 times

Advertisements

hi I will be moving to yakima at the end of august and was wondering what part(s) of town not to live in. I really dont want to end up in a neighborhood like im in now ( old neighbor sold crack, two doors down deals lord only knows, and the uh-hem friends that you buy on the corner) so..cant get much worse i guess. Found a place on neches that sounds ok but not seeing the are is making this hard. Any help will be awsome.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 38,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobwebsdream
hi I will be moving to yakima at the end of august and was wondering what part(s) of town not to live in. I really dont want to end up in a neighborhood like im in now ( old neighbor sold crack, two doors down deals lord only knows, and the uh-hem friends that you buy on the corner) so..cant get much worse i guess. Found a place on neches that sounds ok but not seeing the are is making this hard. Any help will be awsome.

Thanks
Actually the best arias to live in would be mostly on the West Side, try not to live in the area of South 6th Street. Try not to live in the area right by the fair grounds. In general this is a good city but we have an unfair share of released Level Three sex offenders so any house you consider purchase of you should check for these types of people. Especially if you have children. Some parts of Naches are ok some are not, I recomend you do go and look. If you want you can private message me the location and I can tell you what the area is like

Old 08-08-2006, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 25,936 times
Naches street stay away from the town is okay though, I agree look to the west side of town or even Union Gap is okay as well. I park down the street at different times of the day to see what kind of area it is when I am looking at houses. Also if you have kids look into the schools. I too would be willing to give you my opinion of certain areas if you pm me.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 25,930 times
Hi..I have lived in Yakima for many years now. I am moving to the Seattle area in the next couple of months..The areas to avoid would be the East side..Are you renting or buying? I can help you out also with the area..Let me know..Where are you moving from?

Old 08-10-2006, 06:15 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
Default So a question

Is the Miner Burger still as good as it used to be? Or has the novelty worn off over the years?

Old 08-28-2006, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 25,936 times
I live in Yakima. I totally agree with Katja. Stay away from the Eastside. Lots of gang activity, illigal immigrants, high crime rate and drug activity.
I live near the fairgrounds and it is bad. Crack house two houses down. Drug addicts wandering around. High theft area because of the meth...We have our kids go to school on the westside of town because the schools are better there. We are also looking to move out of the area but for financial reason we've had to stay longer than we planned. West Valley is a good area and anything west of 24th....Hope this helps

Old 08-29-2006, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 51,859 times
Default thanks

i will be leaving for yakima in a week. long drive. I'm coming from killeen texas cant wait to get out of here. Thanks for everyones help

Bekah

Old 08-30-2006, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 33,370 times
Cobwebsdream.
Interesting. I'm flying in to Yakima from the DFW area on the 8th to interview for a possible job. You another one trying to escape the "Ring of Fire"?
Good feedback on living areas. I'd noticed that Yakima has a higher than average crime rate so figured I'd better find out what area is good and what isn't.
I've notice that from the MLS listing that there seems to be a lot of nicer homes out toward West 80th so it's good to hear that's the area to look in.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 25,471 times
Exclamation Yakima Is Not as great as people think.

I would say if you have to live in the vicinity of Yakima, then Selah or Terrace heights would be your safest areas. Anything west of 72nd is usually ok. I actually used to live west of 72nd ave and my house has been broken in to twice and vandalized a few times. It is a nice neighborhood but the gangs are moving west and south now. Union Gap is constantly getting shooting calls, info from my best friend who is a UG cop. Yakima has one of the highest crime rates in the state with over 52 crimes per police officer employed by YPD. There are around 120 YPD cops in yakima. West Valley is quickly becoming a criminals domain with several murders in west valley over the last few years. Stay away from the fair grounds, Naches Ave, well really anything between I-82 and about 10th ave is dangerous. There are over 30 active gangs in Yakima alone. However, the cite pales in conjunction with the lower valley. Absolutely do not go south of union gap after dark. Moderator cut: racist remarks Sunnyside, which is in the lower valley, is known for the infamous rape of a High School male wrestler, Moxee is known for Mequel Gayton who for his gang initiation went in to a trailor and murdered an entire family of 4 in one night by beating them to death. That included 2 kids. Yakima not only has a huge population of sex offenders, but they have one of the largest supply chains of drugs. Do not go to Pete's if you don't want to be stabbed or shot. Stay away from davis high school if you want to survive. If you have a scanner and don't believe me about the crime in the area, just listen to the police traffic light up around 8pm every night, usualy 10 to 15 domestics, 5 or 6 DUI's, and a hand full of shootings. Just this summer 2 gang fights happened in Memorial Hospital where rival gangs went to check on their homies who had been shot in the previous fight. Moderator cut: racist remarks Yakima also has one of the highest welfare rates in the state. Go down to the welfare office and see how many come out and get in to $80,000 SUV's. Well sorry about bashing Yakima, but its time the world sees what a terrible place it has become. It used to be a great place to live, and sadly the heart of the city has died.

LIVE IN YAKIMA AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Last edited by scirocco22; 11-19-2007 at 08:55 PM..

Old 09-27-2007, 05:54 PM

336 posts, read 864,150 times
I gotta chime in on this

born and raised in yakima moved away 11 yrs ago. 1, i kinda agree on areas with yakimatorenton. I would not recommend Selah my sister works out there and my husbands sister and her family live there. Not only are the gangs bad in yakima, but they are hitting selah. They have had so many problems with theft and vandals its not funny....and gang jumps right out in there front yard. NOT cool! Terrace heights is nice and serene if I ever move back to yakima I would live out there or west valley....but that would never happy because I would never raise a family there. I know it has gotten bad in yakima in the past 11 yrs. I have been gone. Davis High used to be a good school, I went there but no offense taken please but since the illegals have moved in and taken over the place just isn't home to me. Good luck in Yakima but I wish people would think twice about moving or living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington