Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 12:49 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times

Advertisements

wow! that is a BIG map!

Interesting. Washington and Oregon are obviously the wettest states.

Thanks for posting that.

--'rocco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 03:16 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Quote:
No wonder I hated living in rainy Seattle -- and I'm from BUFFALO, originally! Seattle was even more grey and cloudy than Buffalo, plus it was so wet! (Snow at least feels drier and there are still sunny skies.)

Wow. Thanks for that map!

Old 03-12-2007, 04:40 AM

15 posts, read 164,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
wow! that is a BIG map!

Thanks for posting that.

--'rocco
Not quite. More than half of Washington/Oregon is dryer than the entire eastern USA. The Columbia basin is one of the direst regions in America.

Your right about the costal temperate rainforests, which are the wettest areas in the lower 48, and the Cascade Range.

Alaksa also has temperate rainforest on its lower coast; Hawaii has tropical rainforests that get the most rain of any place in all 50 states.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:11 AM

yeah, you're right symi. I just took a cursoy look and saw the purple. I should have taken a little more time to scrutinize it a little longer before I made such a comment.

I guess that's where my lack of intelligence shows through.

Thanks again.

--'rocco

Old 04-01-2007, 03:47 PM

16 posts, read 151,401 times
Thanks for the wonderfull map!

Old 04-01-2007, 03:57 PM

16 posts, read 151,401 times
My wife and I are in the process of purchasing 2.62 acres out of Port Angeles off of Hwy 112. It has a wonderful view of the Straight of Juan DeFuca and a very nice valley below. It's at 1000 ft. and the neighbors said they got snowed in last winter. But we are extremely excited about moving out there in about 7 to 10 years when I retire. We are fortunate to be able to buy the land now because in 10 years it will double in price.
We must have looked at over 100 properties in the last 6 months. Alot have wetland issues. And in case anyone is interested, the flat pasture land in Sequim that may have views of the mountains or perhaps some water views is very often quite foggy in the summer months due to the precipitation off the water. The soil can have alot of clay in it as well. The areas that this applies to is mainly north of the Old Olympic Hwy closest to the water. Of course the wind is factor almost everywhere near the water on the peninnsula.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:34 PM

45 posts, read 173,935 times
"My wife and I are in the process of purchasing 2.62 acres out of Port Angeles off of Hwy 112...We are fortunate to be able to buy the land now because in 10 years it will double in price."

I hate to break the news to you fourfirs, but you're overpaying for that acreage right now. I have actually looked at the exact parcel you are buying. Prices in Clallum County, in some instances, have quadrupled in just a few short years. I don't know who's telling you that land prices are going to double again in the next several years, but it sure sounds like realtor speak. Prices on land will be coming down, not going up. I am not sure if you are familiar with the real estate bubble, but look into it. Washington is one of the most overpriced states in the country. The reason you haven't found many good parcels, is because there've not been a lot on the market as of late. Most people have been holding it since prices were going up so fast. And the speculators and builders were grabbing anything decent once it hit the market. In the next 5 years, I anticipate a much larger selection, at drastically reduced prices. And especially in remote areas such as Port Angeles. I have been tracking land in and around western WA for better than 5 years. Sounds like somebody is selling you a bill of goods. It's never a good idea to buy anything at the market peak, which is exactly where the area is at right now. In 5 years time, I will be able to buy a house on 5 view acres for the same price that the 5 acres are selling for right now. Mark my words.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:48 PM

Consider your words marked, Banteringbear.

Yes, a lot of people are saying the exact same thing that you are right now. The fact is, is that nobody can be that sure where real estate prices will be in 10 years or even five. I'm not saying that I know for sure which way they'll be going or if and when the bubble will truly burst. I have my opinion. And that's all you have: your opinion. Again, not to say I necessarily disagree with you but nobody can know for sure. You can sit on your high horse and say you do but you really don't. I'm not about to get into a flame war with you and I'm sure you're going to have some terse rebuttal but I'll say it again, NOBODY knows for SURE.

--'rocco

Old 04-01-2007, 11:31 PM

3 posts, read 9,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
Gonna tell them how to pronounce it or let them swing? 8>)

Sequim was a mini-vacation spot for me for years (three or four times a year) and I always thought I would retire there, but I got priced out of the market.
I live in Sequim, we moved here from Lynnwood (one of the rainiest places in the state). I have enjoyed not having the all that rain. But we live on the water and traded the rain for the wind.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:14 PM

45 posts, read 173,935 times
"You can sit on your high horse and say you do but you really don't. I'm not about to get into a flame war with you and I'm sure you're going to have some terse rebuttal but I'll say it again, NOBODY knows for SURE."

This has nothing to do with opinion. I base what I say on facts. What are the facts? The prices of land and homes shot up to unconscionable levels based entirely upon speculation, not fundamentals. Fundamentally and historically, housing prices are dictated by what local wages afford. Over the course of the housing boom, wages have been flat to declining, yet prices soared. Draw your own conclusions, I couldn't care less. I actually take great pleasure in people disagreeing with me. It reassures me that I am on the right path. This is because the majority of people are unable to think for themselves, and subscribe to the herd mentality. The herd mentality right now, and over the course of the boom has been: real estate only goes up, buy now or be priced out forever, and buy land because they're not making any more of it. All of this is nonsense. Come 5 years from now, the herd will understand what I do today. Like Warren Buffett said, "A public-opinion poll is no substitute for thought."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington