Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2006, 11:16 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving in a couple of years. I have friends in the Astoria/Long Beach area and have fallen in love with the entire region.
Real estate prices are high in and around Astoria - my plan is to pay cash for property - but Kelso, Longview and around there seems really affordable.
However, on the citydata page I see crime is extremely high (higher than Flint MI where I currently live - that's high!) And I know the economy is a bit depressed. I can work from home, so that's not a big concern. I also don't have children, so schools are irrelevant.
I understand that low housing costs = lower quality of life, one way or another. However, Flint is pretty nasty and my house is in a so-so part of the city. I wouldn't mind being in a marginal neighborhood if it gets me out of the upper Midwest.
If anyone can give me a locals' eye view of the area, that would be cool. I will probably visit late/summer fall.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2006, 04:38 PM

148 posts, read 1,228,732 times
I'd really advise against Longview/Kelso. Have you ever seen the movie 'Drugstore Cowboy'? That was a Portland slum in the 70's, which is basically what Longview/Kelso is and looks like today. Add in the rampant crime fueled my the local methamphetamine pandemic, homelessness, and unemployment and you've got the Northwest's version of Flint. I'd highly avoid that area.

On to other things.. We looked in Astoria also, and although it's immensly beautiful we felt it was missing a few things and in the end, the unjustifiable home price appreciation in '04 sent us looking elsewhere up the coast. That's when we found Aberdeen, WA. VERY similar to Astoria in many respects, half the price and with more conveniences. Has a ton of homes on the hill facing the river (like Astoria), giant victorians, an old downtown area close to the water etc. Unlike Oregon, you're still allowed to drive on the beaches here (they're considered a state highway) and there is no state income tax.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:36 PM

4 posts, read 12,701 times
i meant to say look at Kalama, Wa as an alternative to Kelso

Old 06-06-2006, 03:30 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Ryan - that bad, huh? I looiked through the online local newspaper and that hinted at a significant meth problem. That is too bad. Here, the drug of choice fueling lots of crime is crack.
Aberdeen sounds nice, affordable homes too, I checked. I didn't know that about the WA beaches. I know you can drive along Long Beach just north of Astoria, I loved that!

mw, thank you also - that looks like another affordable area. That whole region is so beautiful - the isue is finding someplace I like that I can afford. Life surely much be easier for the wealthy, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington