Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 05:08 PM

14 posts, read 56,415 times

Advertisements

I was just looking at property around the Vancouver area and was wondering about the Longview/Kelso area. We are planning to put our house on the market next year and get out of Florida. My husband and I will be looking to buy a piece of property around the Vancouver/ Portland area to build a home. We would like it out of the town a little. My husband will work in Portland 3 days a week, so the commute could be up to an hour, any direction. I've heard alot of good things about the Battleground area, and also the Camas/Washougal area. We would prefer to be close to a river,as we love to fish, but also know that that can get pricey. Any info you can share, we would appreciate, Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 06:17 PM

27 posts, read 183,027 times
Flzia, below are links that "I hope" take you to previous postings on Kelso-Longview. Hope they help you out.

I don't know how to make it so you just click on it, so you will have to copy inbetween the <> and past in your browser.

<https://www.city-data.com/forum/washington/93-longview-washington.html?highlight=kelso>

<https://www.city-data.com/forum/washington/4438-how-bad-kelso-environs-really.html?highlight=kelso>

<https://www.city-data.com/forum/washington/455-crime-longview-kelso.html?highlight=kelso>

Old 10-18-2006, 06:36 PM

550 posts, read 3,265,518 times
I used to love Longview, as a kid. It was always my first hint that we were driving towards the coast. But the city, along with Kelso, has REALLY changed over the years. Meth use is at epidemic proportions and according to a friend working at the hospital, about 20% of babies born there are born with meth in their system. They regularly test newborns for this substance. It's bad. Really bad.

But there are some very lovely areas, too. Just be forewarned that you will not escape the issues of larger towns, (drugs and crime), by moving to the Kelso/Longview areas. Their crime rate is just as high if not higher than many other major metropolitan cities. Which to me is sad because it is an adorable area.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the heads up and all the info. I will definitely keep looking around. We will be in Beaverton for Thanksgiving and plan to drive all around to check out the areas.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flzia View Post
Thanks for the heads up and all the info. I will definitely keep looking around. We will be in Beaverton for Thanksgiving and plan to drive all around to check out the areas.
Beaverton is a very nice area. My husband grew up around there and it's very nice. But homes are a bit spendy. Great schools, though. Especially for Oregon.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:04 PM

Beaverton is really nice, but don't want to be that close to the family,they all live there, and there dosen't seem to be any vacant property around that area, and we want to build a house.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flzia View Post
Beaverton is really nice, but don't want to be that close to the family,they all live there, and there dosen't seem to be any vacant property around that area, and we want to build a house.
Maybe try Tigard. It's close enough to still be a decent area, but maybe far enough from family to still be comfortable.

Personally, if you're looking at Clark County, I'd look at some of the smaller towns like Camas, Washougal, Battle Ground, or Ridgefield. Plenty of area to build a house and still decent little communities. I'm pretty partial to the Camas/Washougal areas, myself.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:01 PM

Yea, I was leaning to that area also. And it is also close to some water. We really would prefer to be close to some water. I was also wondering about the Kalama area.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 25,883 times
The Kalama area is beautiful! It is a small community right on the I-5 and the Columbia river, which is the largest river in the northwest. New lots have just opened up with spectacular river views! Now is a good time to come is as home prices have been going up year after year. Another area to go look at is Woodland. It is on it's way to becoming another bedroom community for Vancouver and Portland commuters. Check out Green mountain road if you want river views. Also drive up Lewis river road for stunning pieces of property (these have not been discovered by the fleeing Portlanders yet. )Rumor has it that a world class golf resort is going in just up the river. The town is being very smart about it's growth..now is a good time to come in here too! Good Luck! (Also check out Google Earth for great views of the area without driving a bunch)

Old 11-15-2006, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
The Kalama area is beautiful! It is a small community right on the I-5 and the Columbia river, which is the largest river in the northwest. New lots have just opened up with spectacular river views! Now is a good time to come is as home prices have been going up year after year. Another area to go look at is Woodland. It is on it's way to becoming another bedroom community for Vancouver and Portland commuters. Check out Green mountain road if you want river views. Also drive up Lewis river road for stunning pieces of property (these have not been discovered by the fleeing Portlanders yet. )Rumor has it that a world class golf resort is going in just up the river. The town is being very smart about it's growth..now is a good time to come in here too! Good Luck! (Also check out Google Earth for great views of the area without driving a bunch)

I absolutely LOVE Woodland and Kalama! Great ideas! My fondest memories were of listening to stories told by Chief Lelooska. What a supremely talented family, too!

Check this article for info....you'll have to copy and paste what is between the <> into your browser.

<http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/oregonian/index.ssf?/travel/oregonian/041107mask.html>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington