Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 03:15 PM

75 posts, read 257,649 times

Advertisements

Various sources claim there are 300 sunny days per year in Sequim. Realistically, I know this is not true. So, how many days a year does the sun shine at least a good portion of the day in Sequim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 05:07 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny2008 View Post
Various sources claim there are 300 sunny days per year in Sequim. Realistically, I know this is not true. So, how many days a year does the sun shine at least a good portion of the day in Sequim?
"... unrealistic ..." is at the very least an understatement ... at worst it is fraud ... particularly as this misinformation is perpetuated by persons and organizations marketing the area.

Sequim has only a Very little more sunshine than the rest of the Olympic Peninsula and Puget Sound Region. It is true that Sequim, and certain other communities in the center of the "rain shadow" effect of the atmospheric currents around the Olympic Mountains, have considerably Less Rain than the greater part of the western Washington region. However, it is gray most of the year except for about 3 months in summer. Spring and fall each have a marginally bearable mix of rain, gray days, and partial sun days ... only rarely does one get a full sunny day except in summer ... even in Sequim.

All that said, all of western Washington IS still a beautiful place ... and Sequim, Coupeville (Whidbey Island), much of the San Juan Islands, and Anacortes are lucky to have only 18" - to about 24" of annual rainfall — compared to the convergence weather zones and south Sound where you will find double and triple the precipitation.

I have lived in the region 39 years ... nearly 10 in the San Juans. I have webbed feet to prove it.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:57 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,369,923 times
300 days without rain does not mean 300 sunny days.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:59 PM

30 posts, read 272,381 times
The Sequim C of C advertises 300 days of sunshine, BUT the sun may only shine for a few minutes on any given day. It really means Sequimites can see SOME sun at least 300 days per year.
As for rainfall, the average is 16-17 inches per year, considerably less than anywhere else west of the Cascade mountains.
The past few months have seen more cloudy, cool days than normal, but there hasn't been much precipitation. The meteorologists are threatening temps in the low 80's for this weekend. That's a threat I can deal with!

Old 06-29-2008, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 29,721 times
Default rain rain go away

the sun does shine in sequim, just hardly ever u get more rain than sun there....but on a good week u get 4 sunny and 3 rainy days

Old 06-29-2008, 04:24 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,343,744 times
I read this also about Sequim. I researched it and found out it wasn't even close to the amount I had read somewhere. That's some really bad false advertising going on there.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:53 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
I read this also about Sequim. I researched it and found out it wasn't even close to the amount I had read somewhere. That's some really bad false advertising going on there.
Yep ... here's the stats from City-Data:

Average climate in Sequim, Washington

Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
https://pics2.city-data.com/w1/lha23296.png (broken link) https://pics2.city-data.com/w3/prc23296.png (broken link)
https://pics2.city-data.com/w2/hum23296.png (broken link)
https://pics2.city-data.com/w4/wnd23296.png (broken link)
https://pics2.city-data.com/w5/snw23296.png (broken link)
https://pics2.city-data.com/w6/sun23296.png (broken link)
https://pics2.city-data.com/w7/cld23296.png (broken link)

Old 09-23-2008, 05:51 PM

14 posts, read 55,054 times
Geez, we were told in April that it is sunny 300 days a year. This is one place we considered retiring at. It also doesn't look like it gets warmer than in the 70's! It is a beautiful area and WAS one place we considered moving to. Don't know about that now. We live in the desert and I'm sick of sun, sun, sun, a little rain every 6-7 months or so and not many trees but I don't think I wan't to live in a place that doesn't get much sun. We'll have to re-think keeping it on our list. :-)

Old 09-27-2008, 12:14 PM

61 posts, read 333,011 times
It is beautiful there and the rain is less there than any other location in western WA. With a high of 70, it is comfortable since there us humidity and when it gets warmer, it is very muggy out. The sun for 300 day was described to my husband as "when the sun shines no matter how long, it is counted as a sunny day". There are areas, like Grays Harbor that the sun won't even shine for days on end.

When we first moved up to the Peninsula, the clouds slowly came over the mtn where we were fishing on a lake and all I could think was great, we are going to get wet. Nothing fell from that cloud! Now having lived down near Aberdeen, moisture surely would have dropped from it!!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:27 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,842,175 times
Some positive pub in Money this month (best places to retire).

Money Magazine - Sequim, WA

3 Couples Who Took the Plunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasgal47 View Post
Geez, we were told in April that it is sunny 300 days a year. This is one place we considered retiring at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington