Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:57 AM

8 posts, read 66,554 times

Advertisements

I moved to Sequim in late 2005 on the basis of data I found on this site and elsewhere on the Internet. The posters who say it is gray for most of the year are absolutely spot on. It is gray too often. I am leaving as soon as I can. Don't believe the crap you read about Sunny Sequim, altho' the area IS spectacularly beautiful. Depressing weather is not outweighed by beauty you can enjoy only 3 months yearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 12:16 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by former Californian View Post
I moved to Sequim in late 2005 on the basis of data I found on this site and elsewhere on the Internet. The posters who say it is gray for most of the year are absolutely spot on. It is gray too often. I am leaving as soon as I can. Don't believe the crap you read about Sunny Sequim, altho' the area IS spectacularly beautiful. Depressing weather is not outweighed by beauty you can enjoy only 3 months yearly.
Yep.

For a while, back last spring or so, I was reading and contributing to a few CityData Forums ... most specifically I reacted to a couple recurring issues ... such as this "Where It's Most Sunny in Washington State" type of conversation. Washington is NOT a sunny cheerful place most of the year. It IS beautiful. It IS fun (if you can enjoy activities in the wet and gray 8 months a year). It has much to recommend it. But good weather is not its strong suit.

I pointed this out repeatedly with weather service charts ... for which I received a number of negative arguments, saying I was / they were wrong. The charts don't lie ... neither does this ex-Californian who moved over to the place that receives the greatest amount of weather fairytales told about it: Sequim.

I love Sequim and the Peninsula. But don't move there for the fabled sunshine: it'll break your heart.

Look at the charts on City-Data ... name your town ... then compare to a known sunny city in California, or elsewhere you might be familiar with. The gray, wet doesn't bother everybody ... but if it bothers you — don't bother moving here.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:32 PM

576 posts, read 2,259,970 times
Quote:
The posters who say it is gray for most of the year are absolutely spot on.
Perhaps it would be more accurate then to say that the sun shines down on Sequim 365 days a year... It's just that on some of those "sunny" days you can't actually see the sun because of all the gray clouds in the way?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:23 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Yep.

Washington is NOT a sunny cheerful place most of the year. It IS beautiful. It IS fun (if you can enjoy activities in the wet and gray 8 months a year). It has much to recommend it. But good weather is not its strong suit.
Please.....Washington State is about one-half desert east of the Cascades.

It is NOT wet and gray eight months of the year.

Please use the term "western Washington" when referring to rain and cloudy conditions. Thank you.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:13 AM

260 posts, read 925,806 times
Well, I've lived in Sequim for the past 8 years after moving from Lynnwood (the infamous convergence zone), and I know we have a whole lot less rain and more sun. It's fun to watch the news when it says rain is coming, and it goes right around the mountains and misses us totally. Even with the snow, the only reasons we got so much this year is because it came from the south. Otherwise we are in what is called the rain shadow.

So, I wouldn't say it's false advertising. But some years are drier than others and some are wetter. One thing we do get a lot of is wind.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:15 AM

260 posts, read 925,806 times
You'll find gray weather most anywhere on the northwest coast (Washington and Oregon) in the winter.

But I don't agree with it being overcast most of the year. Maybe you are just comparing it to California.

Quote:

Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Please.....Washington State is about one-half desert east of the Cascades.

It is NOT wet and gray eight months of the year.

Please use the term "western Washington" when referring to rain and cloudy conditions. Thank you.
Right ... Washington is not wet and gray eight months of the year ... western Washington is ... and eastern Washington is just gray, but with far less rain.

My point stands: Washington is a wonderful place for many people for many reasons ... weather is not one of its strong points — if cheerful sunshine is important.

Very few people looking into moving to Washington State have interest in eastern Washington ... it, too, has much to recommend it ... but, other than a hotter summer than west of the mountains (and colder winter), weather is not high on the list.

And for those wanting to claim how sunny eastern Wash. is, I once more suggest that you do your own comparisons from the weather data charts so nicely provided by City-Data. Compare any eastern Wash. town to any other well known sunny locations in other parts of the country.

Sun isn't everything ... but for many people considering a move, it IS an issue of importance. I simply hate to see people misled. Don't take anybody's word for it ... including mine ... do your own research to compare.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponabri View Post
Well, I've lived in Sequim for the past 8 years after moving from Lynnwood (the infamous convergence zone), and I know we have a whole lot less rain and more sun. It's fun to watch the news when it says rain is coming, and it goes right around the mountains and misses us totally. Even with the snow, the only reasons we got so much this year is because it came from the south. Otherwise we are in what is called the rain shadow.

So, I wouldn't say it's false advertising. But some years are drier than others and some are wetter. One thing we do get a lot of is wind.
And I say it IS false advertising ... no offense, but the only people who would find Sequim a "sunny" climate are people from even grayer areas of the NW; for instance, as above quoted, from Lynnwood, which is in the infamous convergence zone that gets more rain and gray than even Seattle only 20 miles south.

Persons considering a move to Washington from other parts of the country are ill-advised to rely on anecdotal stories from Northwesterners. You all must do your own thorough research and comparisons of data. We, the NW natives, are so intimate with the color gray that any appearance of the color yellow, even from a Crayola box, however brief, is cause for excited comment.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 9,067 times
Default Sunny Sequim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
And I say it IS false advertising ... no offense, but the only people who would find Sequim a "sunny" climate are people from even grayer areas of the NW.
Totally agree with you, dude. Sequim boasts of it's sunny climate - and truthfully, the climate there is much sunnier than the rest of the Olympic Peninsula but it's definitely not the "sunny" that many people are accustomed to.

There are many, many, many gray, dismal days in Sequim. The sun may make a brief appearance (long enough to consider the day "sunny" evidently) but does half an hour's relief from gray equal a sunny day? WTF?

People moving to Sequim for the great sunny climate (snerk) are sure to be disappointed.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 9,079 times
This is fantastic information as we are moving to Sequim in just a couple of months with our two small children who love to be outside. Are there things to do as a family??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington