Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2007, 11:45 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,201,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by racechick73 View Post
Good luck finding a job here. Remember, it's a university town- you've got kids graduating with fresh degrees, and THEY can't afford to stay here, either!
BTW, the weather hasn't kept people from moving in by the thousands. I think a lot of people like it here b/c they don't usually have to deal with snow. You should hear all the complaints when we do get it- it's pretty entertaining!
Yeah,,,but theres University's everywhere! Thats a main reason rite there,,no snow!! A few inches here or there I can handle. I know I'll never afford a mansion and a yaht, but theres a little place there with my name on it. And a 19 footer w/ a 150HP on the back is all I need. Piece of mind is a beautiful thing. I had and want it back! And if it turns out different from what I expected? Its still "BETTER" then Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 02:06 PM

10 posts, read 55,655 times
Very interesting discussion going on here - sounds like a love/hate relationship thing, depending on who you listen to.

At the risk of getting flamed, I'll admit to being a Californian looking to relocate to the Bellingham area. My wife and I are in the 45-55 age bracket and got blessed with a "surprise" baby now almost one year old. We are looking for a nice place to raise a child and enjoy our retirement. Although the housing prices have skyrocketed in the Bellingham area, it doesn't seem worse than other areas we've lived in (Southwest Florida, SF Bay Area, California Delta) and we're willing to bite the bullet and trade straight across housing-wise. We're not planning on competing for jobs, buying up investment properties, or taking over - we just want to fit in, raise our daughter in a healthy environment, and contribute to the community. We like fly fishing, skiing, and boating and have an appreciation for art, music, and good food. Our priorities are good schools, proximity to the city's amenities, and a decent lake or bay view.

My questions are: How do the following areas of town compare - Edgemoor, Chuckanut, Geneva, and Sudden Valley? Are there any areas that are less desirable (higher crime, worse schools, lots of traffic, too far away from everything)? Are there other areas we should be considering?

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-01-2007, 02:18 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,788,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDuck View Post
Very interesting discussion going on here - sounds like a love/hate relationship thing, depending on who you listen to.

At the risk of getting flamed, I'll admit to being a Californian looking to relocate to the Bellingham area. My wife and I are in the 45-55 age bracket and got blessed with a "surprise" baby now almost one year old. We are looking for a nice place to raise a child and enjoy our retirement. Although the housing prices have skyrocketed in the Bellingham area, it doesn't seem worse than other areas we've lived in (Southwest Florida, SF Bay Area, California Delta) and we're willing to bite the bullet and trade straight across housing-wise. We're not planning on competing for jobs, buying up investment properties, or taking over - we just want to fit in, raise our daughter in a healthy environment, and contribute to the community. We like fly fishing, skiing, and boating and have an appreciation for art, music, and good food. Our priorities are good schools, proximity to the city's amenities, and a decent lake or bay view.

My questions are: How do the following areas of town compare - Edgemoor, Chuckanut, Geneva, and Sudden Valley? Are there any areas that are less desirable (higher crime, worse schools, lots of traffic, too far away from everything)? Are there other areas we should be considering?

Thanks for your help!
First bit of help: NEVER EVER EVER admit you are from California. Might as well have told us your a terrorist. Fact is that, no matter what your intentions are, you will be using your equity to outbid somebody who had to saved up money for years shacked up in some apartment, making 25,000 a year. I came from california when I was 10 years old. Im 40 now. I told my classmates where I was from and after school they gave me a welcome to Oregon party. I was black and blue. Now being from Cali, your not going to like Sudden Valley, I think you might need more sunshine. Thats just my 2 cents

Old 06-01-2007, 05:09 PM

176 posts, read 931,052 times
sberdrow-
Ha ha- that was a great laugh! I'm not a fan of Californians either, but you really can't blame them for what they do. I can't even stand to visit SoCal, let alone live there. I'd get the heck outta dodge too if I was them!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:15 PM

10 posts, read 55,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Might as well have told us your a terrorist.
OK, you got me --- I'm a terrorist (ret.). So where is it OK to immigrate from? Maybe I should just create a new screen name and start over...

In any case, I can relate at least a little bit about what it feels like to have the area you grew up in change - California used to be a lot different before the waves of immigrants coming here for the jobs, weather, etc. But that's changing again now, hence the "California Exodus". If you seriously want to slow down immigration you can follow California's example and raise property tax rates, institute a predatory income tax, and drive businesses out of the state through maximum regulation thereby cutting down on the number of available jobs. Aside from that, as long as there are open borders in the US of A people are going to move around to where they perceive it's better. So where do Washingtonians relocate to?

And finally, we all can agree that it rains a lot up there and there is much less sunshine... I'm guessing that the sunshine/rain equation is pretty much the same between the areas I mentioned before (Edgemoor, Chuckanut, Geneva, Sudden Valley) --- anyone want to weigh in on the relative differences?

Old 06-01-2007, 11:19 PM

176 posts, read 931,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDuck View Post
So where do Washingtonians relocate to?
I'm sure not telling, ha ha! I don't want a bunch of people following us when we leave!!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:30 PM

149 posts, read 1,024,574 times
I've lived in Sudden Valley, and in my opinion it's too far away and it rains nonstop there. Lakeway drive tends to get black ice on it in the winter. The drive into town got old after one year. Geneva is nice, but pulling out onto Lakeway Drive is a pain, most of the neighborhood is pretty heavy with the trees ( ie, cold dark house). I was never rich enough to live in the Edgemoor or Chuckanut area, but it's nice and the schools are good . The Sehome Hill neighborhood is nice and the elementary school there is good also.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:19 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,814 posts, read 58,377,245 times
school in Lynden, it is a good place to raise a family, work (if you can find the right job) and retire too, just not too near the waterfront. Locals are really quite friendly, but I wouldn't be wearing CA license plates, or building a CA Special house (more garage than house...) and of course if anyone asks you where you are from; you might want to come up with something, like move to Vancouver, WA, on your way up north for a couple weeks and get your plates changed before you appear too obvious. And do the WA locals a favor and leave you CA home equity with the governator, he could use the 'dough'. Just bring $20k, a beater car, (no SUV's / boats...) and start like the rest of us. It's not that hard, and a good humbling experience.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-02-2007 at 01:28 AM..

Old 06-02-2007, 08:47 AM

149 posts, read 1,024,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
school in Lynden, it is a good place to raise a family, work (if you can find the right job) and retire too, just not too near the waterfront. Locals are really quite friendly, but I wouldn't be wearing CA license plates, or building a CA Special house (more garage than house...) and of course if anyone asks you where you are from; you might want to come up with something, like move to Vancouver, WA, on your way up north for a couple weeks and get your plates changed before you appear too obvious. And do the WA locals a favor and leave you CA home equity with the governator, he could use the 'dough'. Just bring $20k, a beater car, (no SUV's / boats...) and start like the rest of us. It's not that hard, and a good humbling experience.
You're joking right?

Old 06-02-2007, 10:17 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,201,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytripper View Post
Yes....there ARE jobs here.....BUT......
(1). The competition for any of the decent paying jobs is fierce
(2). There are a lot of low paying jobs (service industry, etc.)
(3). The best...or most secure jobs are in Health care (St. Joseph's Hosp), government and/or the school districts....and sometimes....the refineries (2 of them here in Whatcom Co.)......any of which can pay quite well....IF you are lucky enough to get on board.

Otherwise.....there is a company in Lynden, WA.....(Lynden Door) that makes doors, etc. and Ocean Necky Kayak in Ferndale that does make some sweet kayaks and ships internationally a superb product......but starting wages for a kayak manufacturer are around $11/hr.......a few lumber mills in the county also.....but that is some pretty physical work for a wage that just isn't as high as it should be, IMO.
Whatcom County IS the raspberry CAPITAL of the US (60-90 million pounds annually....or something like that).....LOTS of produce, flowers, etc. and PLENTY of recreational choices......along with the cleanest air in the nation possibly.

Basically.....I see it here as a trade off. Don't necessarily have the home of your dreams or the bank account you wish for.....but in return.......OUTSTANDING natural beauty and generally.....friendly people.....at least far more so than Colorado....which, IMO.....were about the rudest people I ever met overall......even worse than Texas.
Also.....despite its growth here......it certainly isn't like living in a large urban area with all that goes with it in the "rat race" and Bellingham IS a GREAT town still under 100,000 people......with a LOT of potential......IF the future is CAREFULLY planned out here and GREED doesn't take over!
This is harder then I thought. Taking a trip to Seattle and driving to the different parts I am interested in mite be a good plan. If the "natural beauty" is THAT NICE it would be worth it. Whats one mans "paradise" is another mans thorn in the side.

BTW, agree'd about the native coloradians!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington