Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 04:00 PM

73 posts, read 172,682 times

Advertisements

"It is dark and dreary in November and December, but by mid January things are perking up. We sometimes have to mow the lawn in early February." ---- Greenery...what???? I've lived in Bham since 2004 and the weather is bad in January, bad in February, bad in March, bad in April, and sometimes even bad in May and June!! We hike and ride horses, and there are only four months a year (July-September) when we can be about 70% sure that we will be able to get out and do it without having to go through slippery, deep mud or get rained on. Yes, you might have to mow your lawn...but that's only because the temps warm up enough for the grass to grow! It certainly doesn't mean sunshine!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 04:08 PM

73 posts, read 172,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki367blue View Post
I have never been to washington... but i have looked at the prices to live in the bellingham area (maple falls, ect) and compared to what we spend out here in Massachusetts, it seems great. In MA, we are known as TAXachusetts... we work and work and they take and take and the rent and utilities continue to soar upwards... Like I said, i;ve never been to washington, but i am excited to move there blindle and leave this hell of a state...

You will get a phenomenal deal on a home in Maple Falls. That's because lots of meth is cooked out there. My husband and I both work in professions in which we are informed of this sort of thing. Stay away from Maple Falls. Really.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:24 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well, you can only stand hearing "eh?" and "aboot" repeated so many times, don'tcha know!

BTW, it always cracks me up hearing folks complain about California's "high taxes! Though it's true WA State doesn't have any state income tax, the current taxes on my 3,000 sq ft Cali rambler are only a fraction of what they were on my 2,700sq ft. WA home (thanks to Prop 13)!
Exactly! When I was getting ready to move away from Seattle, and wanted to check out properties in CA, the agents I approached all turned me down as a client!! They said the property taxes were too high (as if I couldn't afford them). I said being from CA, myself, I knew all about it, and if they thought the taxes here were high, they should look at the Seattle area. I told them how much I paid monthly for prop'ty tax, and they just stared at me, not knowing what to make of it all.

The only time/place in my life I've ever seen real estate agents turn a customer away. WEIRD!

Old 03-06-2014, 01:22 PM

33 posts, read 60,321 times
I just registered today. Here's my story. My wife and I love the sun and currently reside in NJ, a very busy and congested state but NYC, NJ, PA and DE offer excellent job opportunities. The NW was the last place I ever wanted to move to because of damp climate etc. Despite, we recently bought a large lot close to, 5 mins walk from and overlooking Drayton Harbor, Blaine. You might ask what happened? We are from the UK and have been in the US for over 17 years. My daughter decided to give up her US GC status and move to Whistler BC over six years ago (she and her hubby are crazy about skiing and own a couple of businesses there) and she had been trying to get us to move closer to her; I declined every request. She then married in 2010 and had a daughter in 2011 which finally led us to change our mind; I simply adore my grandaughter; grandkids pull your heart strings . From here in NJ it takes almost fourteen hours (airports/flights/car rental/etc.) to get to Whistler whilst from Blaine it will take a little over two, from our perceived new home, which we plan to build soon.

Blaine is not too far from Bellingham and I'm not sure how much, if not all the negativity discussed here, applies to Blaine too, however we hope the lot's beautiful views of Drayton Harbor, Canadian Cascades and Mt Baker plus close proximity to my daughter and her family, will help us accept or tolerate the negativity.

Property Taxes are very high in NJ and currently lower in Blaine though I don't expect to save very much but can hope for the best. Yes, we went in head first. We have a gorgeous home in NJ with almost everything I dreamt of having, envy of my neighbors and now I plan to start all over again. Crazy huh?

Old 11-12-2014, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 11,172 times
Frankly, based on your comments and the overwhelming negativity of each of them, Bellingham could only have improved significantly with your departure.

I grew up in the southeast and have lived in all four corners of the United States in my lifetime. I moved to Washington state in 1989 and I've never considered moving out of the state since then. I've lived in Bellingham since 1991 and I've never considered moving outside of Whatcom County since then.

Given what I know from living in all other parts of the country, there simply is no better place than Bellingham. To each his/her own.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:09 PM

Canadians are incredibly vital to the local economy. In 24 years in Bellingham, I've never had any problems with Canadians visiting our lovely city. The more, the merrier, I say.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:28 PM

Those rumors are just that...rumors. I've worked in the legal profession for my entire 24 years in Whatcom County. My husband is an attorney that has practiced law in Whatcom County for 35 years. This notion/rumor of a Russian mafia anywhere in Whatcom County is just nonsense.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:43 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,501,432 times
2 of my 4 favorite rock bands of all time are from Winnipeg, Manitoba and Kingston, Ontario, Canada. That would be The Guess Who and The Tragically Hip. Those Canadians know how to rock, yes they do.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:02 PM

67 posts, read 208,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boochild View Post
Those rumors are just that...rumors. I've worked in the legal profession for my entire 24 years in Whatcom County. My husband is an attorney that has practiced law in Whatcom County for 35 years. This notion/rumor of a Russian mafia anywhere in Whatcom County is just nonsense.
I figured that and hey after a long exhaustive 5 year search for a house we bought one in Concrete, other than all the water pipes breaking and flooding the house no water no appliances we are loving it. I was just posting on FB how everyday i learn something new about how things work up here and its so much different and IMO better than Texas. I love the place anyone born and raised here does not know or maybe they do how lucky they are to live in a beautiful state where there is so much to do and perfect cool weather! Texas cannot hold a candle to the pristine beauty here in the PNW. I would even entertain the Russian mafia in order to get to live here LOL

Old 08-23-2015, 02:44 PM

58 posts, read 76,931 times
But Texas has Ted Cruz, who is one of the only real American patriots in the US Government. And Texas doesn't buy in to all that political correct crap like Washington hippies do. Frankly why anyone would want to live near any *******s is beyond me.
You couldn't give me a home on the West coast, no way. Tree huggers have ruined business opportunities by keeping industry out of public lands. National Parks are just a lame excuse to keep the timber and mining industry from developing the land they rightfully own. The whole PNW thing is about keeping good paying jobs away so the greenies and *******s can live off their trust funds.
Down here in the panhandle we treat the land the way it ought to be treated, like dirt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington